System Logs to a Log Server Machine?

Post by Dave Gresh » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have a client running Openserver 5.0.5 with rs505a, oss497c and
oss600a installed.

They have quite a network of nt machines, freebsd boxes and
SCO Openserver 5.0.5.

They want to have a server be a 'system log' server, where all
'/usr/adm/syslog and the other freebsd unix equiv's would go
to a single machine.

Is it possible to have /usr/adm/syslog be somewhere else on
a different machine running a non SCO OS?

dave

1. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

Hi,

I was having a look through my FreeBSD 2.2.2 system last night after
compiling myself a new kernel, so was feeling pretty chuffed about it
(being my first FreeBSD kernel) when I noticed that the directory and
contents of /var/log/ were world-readable.

While it's pretty understandable that some log files have world
attributes it seems INSANE that ppp.log (or, in my case, ppp.tun0.log)
be world-readable. After a quick cat of the file I found, for all to
see, plain text copies of my ISP password visible.

I suppose it's prudent to run around clamping all these files down, but
it strikes me as odd that they'd default to world-readable.

Well, it's probably not a major discovery, but I'd thought I'd bring it
to your attention anyway.

Cya,

--
Matt Bruce

NB: Remove X's to email me (anti-spam)

2. Stats comp.os.linux.hardware (last 7 days)

3. ipppd logs in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ??

4. Mach-O files

5. logging - "secure" logs don't tell me who is logging in?

6. Help creating boot disk for RedHat4.0

7. How can I get ipppd to log in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ????

8. shared libraries on solaris

9. "Logging" or "Log structured" file systems with news spool.

10. System logging going to console not log file

11. Logging to system log using C++

12. Linux Mail server log /var/log/mailig

13. wierd stuffs in proxy log file and back end server log file