CD-ROM, mounted via NFS on a remote machine access denied

CD-ROM, mounted via NFS on a remote machine access denied

Post by kit haskin » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

When I mount the CD-ROM to my directory "/usr/kit" or to any other, I have
no trouble viewing the contents of the CD-ROM on the local machine.

When I mount the "/usr/kit" directory on another SCO Box or even a Win
3.11 client I can do so, as long as the CD-ROM isn't attached to it.
If the CD-ROM isn't mounted to the "/usr/kit" directory, then mounting is
easy and painless.  If the CD-ROM is attached the remote device says
"access denied".

I tried attaching the Win3.11 first then the CD-ROM, no errors, and no
information from the ROM.

I have checked and verifed the "showmount -e" does in fact return:

/usr/kit   (everyone)
/pub/cdrom (everyone)

Are there any better ways to work on the CD-ROM to be seen on the network,
I have tried several other directories and have checked that they to are
in the "/etc/exports" with world access.

This happens on either machine:

OpenServer 5.0.2
OpenServer 5.0.4

They both have NFS and function just great with mounting any
directory, as long as the CD-ROM isn't attached to it.

What did I miss ?

Post by Bill Campbel » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>When I mount the CD-ROM to my directory "/usr/kit" or to any other, I have
>no trouble viewing the contents of the CD-ROM on the local machine.

>When I mount the "/usr/kit" directory on another SCO Box or even a Win
>3.11 client I can do so, as long as the CD-ROM isn't attached to it.
>If the CD-ROM isn't mounted to the "/usr/kit" directory, then mounting is
>easy and painless.  If the CD-ROM is attached the remote device says
>"access denied".
>I have checked and verifed the "showmount -e" does in fact return:

You need to run ``exportfs -a'' after mounting the CDROM or it isn't
available to other systems.

There are probably better ways to do file sharing to Windoze machines than
NFS, in particular SAMBA.  NFS is generally a resource hog on the PCs, is
pretty slow on the SCO systems, and presents many security challenges.

Bill
--

UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are
men who want rain without thunder and lightning.  They want the ocean
without the roar of its many waters.
                -- Frederick Douglass

1. Accessing a CD-ROM drive via Linux NFS in a diskless machine - help needed

Hello folks,

I am muthuvelu from Madras - India. I am a Unix affectionade and using \
flavours of unix. I am using slakware distribution of linux.

I have a different requirement and if anybody could help me, i will be
very much thankfull to them.

Here is my requirement.Very offen i need to transfer a large amount of data
from one machine to other machine. ie I will be getting MB's of data in a
Recorded-CD(CD-R) and i needed to transfer it via network to few servers for
processing.most of the time i will be using a machine without harddisk but
with IDE-CDROM and 1.44 MB FDD. since we have involved in multimedia projects
we have CD-ROM installed in quite few machines and it will be remotely booted.

Now the thing is i wanted the CD-ROMs in any of the machine has to be accessed
via NFS, so that i can transfer the contents of CD-ROM. Though i have different
methods i think this will solve many of my headaches. I visioned the scenorio
like this. ie

I should boot the machine in linux with NFS support via 1.44 FDD and the CD-ROM
has to be mounted in NFS.What i will do is i will mount this CD-ROM thro my
network and transfer the entire CD content via NFS.

So What i require is a kernel and a root file system with NFS support.
How do i make this. What procedure i have to follow.how can i configure.
Pls remember i don't have harddisk in any of the machines.

So if any body who has come-across similar situation or anyone who can

very much thankfull to them

I don't have frequent access to news-groups, so pls reply me in e-mail

Looking forward to receive the valuable soultion

With Regards,

Muthuvelu

2. Needing a site to download Linux

3. Problem to mount Linux CD-ROM via NFS

4. help: pop mail stop working after domain name changed

6. vile 5.2 available

7. NFS- Problem Mounting Remote CD-ROM

8. C mount() system call - help!

9. NFS mounting a vold mounted CD-ROM

10. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

11. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

12. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

13. CD-ROM access denied .... HELP