Detailed description of (free)OpenServer packages

Detailed description of (free)OpenServer packages

Post by Harry Putn » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Following the many links at www.sco.com  I haven't found a detailed
description of the software included in (free) SCO OpenServer.  Some
of the links on the `more info' page get a 404 message (non existent)

Having done several installs now and working on still another, I'd
like to know what I can leave out.  And still end up with a system
capable of running as a single user setup, hooked up to ISP over
modem.

Some of the packages that come to mind:
Newtwork Adapter drivers ( is ppp in there?)
NFS Runtime System  (what is it exactly?)
IPX/SPX Runtime System  (what is it?)
SCO Gateway for Netware  (probably unnecessary?)
Lan Manager Client   (probably unnecessary?)
PC Inerface Server (what does it do?)
Network Installed Server  (what does it do?)

Seems like, in the several manuals supplied with OpenServer, that this
material would be explained in some detail.
Pressing F1 during install doesn't give much either.

Is there a web page or something with the details?

--

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

| Following the many links at www.sco.com  I haven't found a detailed
| description of the software included in (free) SCO OpenServer.  Some
| of the links on the `more info' page get a 404 message (non existent)
|
| Having done several installs now and working on still another, I'd
| like to know what I can leave out.  And still end up with a system
| capable of running as a single user setup, hooked up to ISP over
| modem.
|
| Some of the packages that come to mind:
| Newtwork Adapter drivers ( is ppp in there?)

Both SCO's own ppp and MST_PPP ppp.

| NFS Runtime System  (what is it exactly?)

Network File System, for remotely mounting filesystems across a network
connection.

| IPX/SPX Runtime System  (what is it?)

Novel  talks this protocol.

| SCO Gateway for Netware  (probably unnecessary?)

Unnecessary if you have nothing on the network running Netware.

| Lan Manager Client   (probably unnecessary?)

As above.

| PC Inerface Server (what does it do?)

Talks to PeeCees.

| Network Installed Server  (what does it do?)

Installs OSR 5 across a network connection to another machine.

| Seems like, in the several manuals supplied with OpenServer, that this
| material would be explained in some detail.
| Pressing F1 during install doesn't give much either.

Why not install everything and then look up the help pages to see
what these things do?

Yes, you can read the OSR documentaion at www2.sco.com/dochome.html.

--

Detailed description of (free)OpenServer packages

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>| Is there a web page or something with the details?
>Yes, you can read the OSR documentaion at www2.sco.com/dochome.html.

Doesn't work.  Try:
        http://www2.sco.com:1996/dochome.html
instead.  This is the same as the OSR5 online manual on your Free OSR5
cdrom.

Also, this is a shameless plug for my web pile at:
        http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/
which might be useful for researching SCO related information.

Information on what's in OSR5 can be found at:
        http://www.sco.com/products/openserver/

[ ]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(831)699-0483 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home

Post by Harry Putna » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> | Some of the packages that come to mind:
> | Newtwork Adapter drivers ( is ppp in there?)

> Both SCO's own ppp and MST_PPP ppp.

Thanks, although I think this piece above is actually wrong.  I
installed with out that package, and still had the the uucp ppp
drivers.  Then when I installed MST, those divers seem to have been in
that package.  I think, if all you want is PPP to an ISP then the
Network Adapter pkg is unnecessary.  Hope I'm not off in left field here.

I wasn't able to get PPP working, but it doesn't seem to be related to
drivers.

> Information on what's in OSR5 can be found at:
>    http://www.sco.com/products/openserver/

Ahaa theres the one with the goods that I overlooked. Thanks,
Esp. this link

http://www.sco.com/products/openserver/entsystem/index.html

Gives detailed Info on what is in the packages

--

Running Redhat Linux-5.1

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Doesn't work.  Try:
>    http://www2.sco.com:1996/dochome.html
>instead.  This is the same as the OSR5 online manual on your Free OSR5
>cdrom.

I lied (again).  The above URL is for 3.2v5.0.4 only.  See:
        http://www2.sco.com/OSr5/osr5doc.html
for an index to docs on 3.2v5.0.5 and bugs that were fixed in 3.2v5.0.5.

[ ]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list

--

Post by David Clayt » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Following the many links at www.sco.com  I haven't found a detailed
>description of the software included in (free) SCO OpenServer.  Some
>of the links on the `more info' page get a 404 message (non existent)

>Having done several installs now and working on still another, I'd
>like to know what I can leave out.  And still end up with a system
>capable of running as a single user setup, hooked up to ISP over
>modem.

>Some of the packages that come to mind:
>Newtwork Adapter drivers ( is ppp in there?)

Probably keep.

Quote:>NFS Runtime System  (what is it exactly?)

Network File System - mount remote files systems from your P.C. - get
rid of it.

Quote:>IPX/SPX Runtime System  (what is it?)

Netware Protocol - flick it too.

Quote:>SCO Gateway for Netware  (probably unnecessary?)

Yep.

Quote:>Lan Manager Client   (probably unnecessary?)

Ditto.

Quote:>PC Inerface Server (what does it do?)

If you don't know - you don't need it!  :-)
Quote:>Network Installed Server  (what does it do?)

I think that's the one that allows you to install software over a
network - give it the big "A" as well if you like.

Regards, David.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"I refuse to short-change the 20th century to only allow it 99 years, the 21st century begins with the year 2001, not 2000.", check this URL for details:
http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/faq2.html