Upgrade from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4 Problem -cannot ping network

Upgrade from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4 Problem -cannot ping network

Post by Andrew Vog » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help!

I recently upgraded a system from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4.
I have all my settings within netconfig set properly and SCO finds my
3com 3c905B using the new drivers. I have other machines that I
installed fresh(not upgrade) copies SCO Enterprise and using similar
settings and they are working. I have replaced the network card.

When I ping from this host, I see the network cards activity light
blink as well as the hub led. So, it appears to me that it is pinging
the network, but...?? (or am I wrong) the IP address and netmask are
both fine. The rest of the network works great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Andy

Upgrade from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4 Problem -cannot ping network

Post by Cliff Fiedle » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Andy,

1.  Could be the cable?

2. Uninstall the card, then put it back in.  If that doesn't work the
first time, don't bother to try it a second time.  This isn't Windoze,
after all.

3. Try to ping  localhost (maybe TCP isn't happening).

4. Try to ping from another computer.

5. Show us the results of   netstat -i   and   ifconfig -a   .

Upgrade from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4 Problem -cannot ping network

Post by Lawrence Leavel » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have never been successful upgrading 502 or 500 to 504.  Do a fresh
install, this works.  Hope this helps.

Lawrence Leavell

Post by Benny Kleyken » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello, and thanks in advance for any help!

> I recently upgraded a system from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4.
> I have all my settings within netconfig set properly and SCO finds my
> 3com 3c905B using the new drivers. I have other machines that I
> installed fresh(not upgrade) copies SCO Enterprise and using similar
> settings and they are working. I have replaced the network card.

> When I ping from this host, I see the network cards activity light
> blink as well as the hub led. So, it appears to me that it is pinging
> the network, but...?? (or am I wrong) the IP address and netmask are
> both fine. The rest of the network works great.

Actually , the last time I looked for them there were no drivers
available for the3Com 905B (beware : there is a distinct difference
between the 509B and the 905B , hope we are not mixing things up here).
By lack of drivers I tried installing a 3Com 905B with 905C drivers but
this doesn't work.
I could be wrong but I think you've got a problem that can not be solved
unless 3com writes or has written the driver for 905b (if you happen to
have the driver , please send him to me ?)

actually ... I hope I'm wrong ,

kind regards,

Benny

Upgrade from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4 Problem -cannot ping network

Post by Tom Parson » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Benny Kleykens enscribed:

| > Hello, and thanks in advance for any help!
| >
| > I recently upgraded a system from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4.
| > I have all my settings within netconfig set properly and SCO finds my
| > 3com 3c905B using the new drivers. I have other machines that I
| > installed fresh(not upgrade) copies SCO Enterprise and using similar
| > settings and they are working. I have replaced the network card.
| >
| > When I ping from this host, I see the network cards activity light
| > blink as well as the hub led. So, it appears to me that it is pinging
| > the network, but...?? (or am I wrong) the IP address and netmask are
| > both fine. The rest of the network works great.
| >

| Actually , the last time I looked for them there were no drivers
| available for the3Com 905B (beware : there is a distinct difference
| between the 509B and the 905B , hope we are not mixing things up here).
| By lack of drivers I tried installing a 3Com 905B with 905C drivers but
| this doesn't work.
| I could be wrong but I think you've got a problem that can not be solved
| unless 3com writes or has written the driver for 905b (if you happen to
| have the driver , please send him to me ?)
|
| actually ... I hope I'm wrong ,

Since 26 May, 1998
  ftp.sco.COM:/pub/drivers/OSR504/network/e3H

Upgrade from SCO Host 5.0.2 to Enterprise 5.0.4 Problem -cannot ping network

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I could be wrong but I think you've got a problem that can not be solved
>unless 3com writes or has written the driver for 905b (if you happen to
>have the driver , please send him to me ?)

If I email the driver to you, you'll be asking for emailed
drivers forever.  If I show you how to find the drivers yourself,
I can work on getting some more sleep.

If you check the hardware comaptibility guide on the SCO web
pile, you'll find the current state of driver support.  I'm too
lazy to do it now.  See:
   http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/hch_search_form

For the 3com driver, see:
   http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3C905b.htm
It's in the middle of the list.  Be sure to check the
documentation pages for useful information and potential
nightmares at:
   http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3C905B/family.htm

There is also a non-JavaScript NIC index at:
   http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/index_nojs.htm

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list
--

150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA  95060
408-699-0483 pager   408-429-1240 fax

1. Strange network problems - pings to host are fine, pings from host fail

Sorry for the long post - I've tried to outline the symptoms of my
problem, and what I've tried to fix it.

I'm having some networking problems with a PC running an old version of
Red Hat (kernel 2.2).  The PC came with a machine we have bought
second-hand - as far as I know, everything was working before the
machine was moved to our company.

To keep things simple, we have the Red Hat machine connected to a
Windows XP machine that came with it, with only a simple switch in
between.  Each machine is set up with a fixed IP address on the same
network.

 From the XP machine, I can ping the Red Hat machine reliably and
quickly.  From the Red Hat machine, pings to the XP machine /generally/
fail - typically there are about 80%-90% failures.  Those pings that
don't fail, are fast (reply time about 1 ms).  On the XP machine, it's
easy to see the packet counters showing packets in and replies out.  On
the Red Hat machine, ifconfig shows similar packet rx and tx counts, and
zero error counts.

arping to the XP machine from the Red Hat machine is reliable and fast.

When we try a browser on the XP machine and address the web server on
the Red Hat host, there is generally a long pause (perhaps minutes),
then suddenly the page appears.

We have tried using another Linux box in place of the original XP
machine, with the same results from the Red Hat system.

We have tried replacing the cables and switch, with no effect - given
that arpings are working perfectly it's hard to see how it could be a
hardware problem.

I'm not very familiar with Red Hat or a 2.2 kernel (my experience is
mostly with Debian and related distros, and with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels).
But "ipchains -L" shows no firewalling (everything accepted), "ifconfig"
and "route -n" have the expected setup, and I could not stop anything
unexpected with "sysctrl".

One of my colleagues will try a different network card this evening.

Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated.  We've tried pretty much
every sensible idea we can think of, so I'm ready to listen to any crazy
or unlikely tricks.

mvh.,

David

2. Modems on SCO 3.2.2

3. Cannot ping any other host, but networks fine???

4. sound driver initialized but no sound

5. Get 'cannot connect to host', yet can ping remote host!!

6. NFS with multiple NICs (eepro100) problems

7. cannot ping internal network (ping operation not permitted)

8. logging finger connections

9. Problem upgrading from HOST to ENTERPRISE license

10. can ping but cannot get to www or cannot ping by name

11. Cannot ping lo0 (Cannot reach the destination network)

12. no ping: Linux <-> SCO, ping W95 <-> SCO @$#%@#!!

13. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A