Slow ftp connection to OSR5.004 server

Post by Peter Mar » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

When I ftp to my OSR5.004 server from a Win95 client on the same
LAN, it takes 6 seconds before the "connected to" message
displays, and another 16 seconds before the login prompt appears;
all quite repeatable.  Is this as it should be?  If not, what
might be wrong?

My server is running on a 90Mhz pentium with 80MB of memory, and
only a few apps (2 shells, calendar, help) sitting at idle.

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Mon, 01 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> When I ftp to my OSR5.004 server from a Win95 client on the same
> LAN, it takes 6 seconds before the "connected to" message
> displays, and another 16 seconds before the login prompt appears;
> all quite repeatable.  Is this as it should be?  If not, what
> might be wrong?

Smells like a lack of oss449f, which is now included in rs504c.

However, other things can cause this, too.  I recently had
a system that would act like this from time to time.  It
turned out that the causative agent was transient router
problems which prevented this box from doing it's deeds as
the corporate SMTP server.  The MMDF options were set very
low by adding a -T30 to the deliver startup in /usr/mmdf/bin/daemon
(the default is 600 seconds).  This was done so that mail
would go out quickly.  Given a working router, this
worked fine.  Given a balky, I'm-not-taking-nothing-right-now
router, things got backed up on the network side, with results
similar to those described here.

Had they been heavily loaded with mail, I imagine things would
have gotten even worse, because eventually you start generating
non-delivery messages, and if you get too many, too fast things
can get pretty funky..but that's a different subject.

--

SCO ACE
Microsoft MCSE

Post by Lawrence Kir » Mon, 01 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>When I ftp to my OSR5.004 server from a Win95 client on the same
>LAN, it takes 6 seconds before the "connected to" message
>displays, and another 16 seconds before the login prompt appears;
>all quite repeatable.  Is this as it should be?  If not, what
>might be wrong?

I've seen large delays (visible in ping as well as applications) when
NE2000 cloe cards are being used with SCO Unix. It would also be worth
checking for resource conflicts such as interrupts.

1. Slow FTP and HTTP server connection

I have just installed RedHat 4.2
I have ftp and httpd running and tcp/tp over ethernet.
My problem is that it takes forever (a minute or longer) over an
ethernet tcp/ip connection to access ftp or http. I can ping the
server and ping from the server and that is fast. During ftp it
makes the socket connection right away but takes a long time for
the directories to appear. Under http, it makes contact right
away but takes a long time to retrieve the page. While making the
connection to the server, if I run netstat it sets there for the
same length of time that it takes to establish ftp or http. Once
the info is sent it behaves normally. Also everything is fast if
I access localhost from the server.
This is my first stab at Linux so any help would be appreciated.

--

2. Can I share my IDE disk with NextStep?

3. Slow Secure Shell Logins and FTP server connection

4. Does having 16 MB of RAM make a BIG differe

5. Why connection to my ftp server becomes so slow ?

6. Backup script

7. Slow connection to RedHat ftp server?

8. osr5 ftp commands hangs when try to connect with another osr5

9. Slow connection to my BSD Server via 100Mbit Connection - IPFW/NATD/HTTPD/FTPD

10. Suddenly wu-ftp server is very slow in connecting to it(not slow in transferring data)

11. Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

12. Fast FTP Client-Slow FTP Server