How to Install C/C++ Development System?

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Jeff Tomic » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I've recently recieved my Free SCO 5.0 1 user version. Got it installed but
apparently I see no development system which I thought comes with this
version. How do I get it installed from the CDrom?

thanks, Jeff

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Jeff Tomich propounded certain bytes, to wit:
| I've recently recieved my Free SCO 5.0 1 user version. Got it installed but
| apparently I see no development system which I thought comes with this
| version. How do I get it installed from the CDrom?

Go into the Software Manager and ask to install something from the CD-ROM.

--

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Timothy Krul » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Can the Development system that comes with the free version of SCO be
used with a non-free version (a full 16 user license) ?

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Timothy Krulan propounded certain bytes, to wit:
| Can the Development system that comes with the free version of SCO be
| used with a non-free version (a full 16 user license) ?

If it installs, it is still subject to the terms and conditions under which
you obtained it: non-commercial or educational use.  IANAL, but to me that
means that you couldn't use it to compile stuff which you made available to
16 concurrent users.

--

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Robert Li » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Timothy Krulan propounded certain bytes, to wit:
>| Can the Development system that comes with the free version of SCO be
>| used with a non-free version (a full 16 user license) ?
>If it installs, it is still subject to the terms and conditions under which
>you obtained it: non-commercial or educational use.  IANAL, but to me that
>means that you couldn't use it to compile stuff which you made available to
>16 concurrent users.

IANALE, but I'd also suggest that you couldn't resell binaries generated
from said DS either.

The DS for OSR5 is cheap these days (I saw an MSRP of $395), but if even
this is too much for your *, look into the GNU DS as supplied on
Skunk '96 that is mentioned in the FAQ and in these groups about a billion
times a week.

--
Robert Lipe

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Don Winterhalte » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> If it installs, it is still subject to the terms and conditions under which
> you obtained it: non-commercial or educational use.  IANAL, but to me that
> means that you couldn't use it to compile stuff which you made available to
> 16 concurrent users.

And my I*interpretation would be that you can't use it to compile stuff
that you sell.

IANAL.  Great acronym! ;-)

Don

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Tim Ruckl » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:} Can the Development system that comes with the free version of SCO be
} used with a non-free version (a full 16 user license) ?

I*either, but would say don't do this.

If you are already an educational site, check into the educational pricing
that's already available.  If you're a commercial site, then the devsys
pricing shouldn't really be an issue (it's come way down the past few years).

I assume if you're asking, you must already have an OpenServer Release 5
system, in which case you would be able to use the gnu stuff on Skunkware.

As far as I know the free devsys is *only* intended to go with the Free
SCO OpenServer Release 5 Desktop System.  In general, the free and commercial
products (and media) should be kept totally seperate and distinct (though I
think adding purchased Merge to a home system would be okay).

Regards,

Tim

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Timothy Krul » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> If it installs, it is still subject to the terms and conditions
under which
>> you obtained it: non-commercial or educational use.  IANAL, but to
me that
>> means that you couldn't use it to compile stuff which you made
available to
>> 16 concurrent users.

>And my I*interpretation would be that you can't use it to compile
stuff
>that you sell.

>IANAL.  Great acronym! ;-)

>Don

I wasn't thinking of selling anything just trying to compile some of
the stuff I see listed here in the internet.

Thanks

Tim

Post by Roman Fietz » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I've recently recieved my Free SCO 5.0 1 user version. Got it installed but
> apparently I see no development system which I thought comes with this
> version. How do I get it installed from the CDrom?

- Put the CD-ROM in your drive again :)

- run scoadmin->Software Manager

- select Software->Install New

- ... and so on ... (select the CD as your installation media)

- select the Development System from the list of packages

- bingo

Roman

--
Roman Fietze (Mail Code 5023)              Kodak AG Stuttgart/Germany

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Tim Ruckl » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:} [...]
} OK, do that, but make sure that only one or two users ever concurrently
} use those compiled binaries, or you may be viloating your license.

Actually, I think this is confusing the license restrictions on the Free
OS with restrictions on apps/tools created with the Free devsys: any number
of folks can use tools/apps created with the free devsys, as long as they're
not violating the non-commercial clause (selling or otherwise making money
off it).

Tim

--
I wish that every human life might be pure transparent freedom.

                                  --Simone de Beauvoir, _The * of Others_

How to Install C/C++ Development System?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Tim Ruckle propounded certain bytes, to wit:

| } [...]
| } OK, do that, but make sure that only one or two users ever concurrently
| } use those compiled binaries, or you may be viloating your license.
|
| Actually, I think this is confusing the license restrictions on the Free
| OS with restrictions on apps/tools created with the Free devsys: any number
| of folks can use tools/apps created with the free devsys, as long as they're
| not violating the non-commercial clause (selling or otherwise making money
| off it).

Well, I seem to be on the conservative side of this argument, and you chaps
from SCO seem to be more liberal. :-)

Unless the box in question is already in an educational institution or
a non-profit organization, it is in a commercial setting.  Let's say it's
licensed for 30 users.

So now it's OK for the free DS to be used to compile things, and the fruits
of this compilation can now be used by 30 simultaneous users on this site?
In their day-to-day work, which is presumably commercial?

--

Post by Bela Lubki » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Tim Ruckle propounded certain bytes, to wit:

> | } [...]
> | } OK, do that, but make sure that only one or two users ever concurrently
> | } use those compiled binaries, or you may be viloating your license.
> |
> | Actually, I think this is confusing the license restrictions on the Free
> | OS with restrictions on apps/tools created with the Free devsys: any number
> | of folks can use tools/apps created with the free devsys, as long as they're
> | not violating the non-commercial clause (selling or otherwise making money
> | off it).

> Well, I seem to be on the conservative side of this argument, and you chaps
> from SCO seem to be more liberal. :-)

> Unless the box in question is already in an educational institution or
> a non-profit organization, it is in a commercial setting.  Let's say it's
> licensed for 30 users.

> So now it's OK for the free DS to be used to compile things, and the fruits
> of this compilation can now be used by 30 simultaneous users on this site?
> In their day-to-day work, which is presumably commercial?

If they are using it to facilitate their day-to-day commercial
activities, that is commercial use and they should be using a purchased
commercial license.

However, if someone installs Free OpenServer including the development
system, they are certainly welcome to compile software and give away the
resulting compiled binaries (*give away*, as in not-sell-or-make-money-
off).  For instance, they could write or port a freely distributable
package, place binaries on ftp.celestial.com, and let everyone in the
world use those binaries.

If they sold the binaries they would be violating the Free OpenServer
license.  If they used the binaries to run their business, they would be
violating the Free license.  If they used the Free OpenServer operating
system to run their business, they would be violating the Free license.

Quote:>Bela<

1. C/C++ development system ?

I'm looking for information (company name & evaluation of the product) on
companies that produce C/C++ development systems for Solaris x84 v2.4.
Currently, I use ProWorks by SunSoft on one system but would need to
purchase another license for another system-- however, I am not too
thrilled w/ their development environment, and that is why I'd like some
input on other packages.

As it is shipped, Solaris does not come w/ a C or C++ compiler, so the
development system would either have to be bundled w/ both compilers or I
would have to purchase the ProCompilers w/o ProWorks (the compilers
themselves seem pretty good, I just don't like the ProWorks environment)

Thanks for any info,

Phil Schwartz

2. Route

3. C++ (Was: Win32 development tools vs UNIX development tools)

4. changing dtfile open action

5. WWW Page for C++ Tools (was Re: Unix Development software - C++ etc.)

6. newbie netcfg question

7. C++ still doesn't install (was Re: installing C++ on a computer without)

8. ODM problem

9. Full GNU C development suite w/out SCO development system (Not)

10. Full GNU C development suite w/out SCO development system

11. Trouble installing development system...

12. ODT 3.0 Development System Install

13. How to install SCO FreeOpenServer Development System