Custom floppy system error 12

Post by Scott Risda » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

One of our servers that is running 3.2v4.2 has developed a bad taste for
custom installable floppies.  Whenever we attempt to install a product
using custom and the floppy drive, we get a system error 12.  Has anyone
seen this?

The floppy drive works find using tar and cpio, and we can install from
the tape drive with no problems.

Bonus question:  What does custom do with the tar command that makes it
act differently?  We are working on a fairly new hardware platform from
Intel using the Adaptec 7870 SCSI chip, and had an earlier problem using
custom to install from tape.  Apparently the Adaptec driver had a bug in
it that caused custom to write over occupied portions of the hard drive,
yet using tar to read the tape worked fine.  Same goes for the floppy
problem above, it works fine with tar, but fails with custom.

Thanks,

Scott Risdal

1. Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

Assume I have a laptop computer without a floppy
drive ( I don't, but assume it anyway :).

I want to create a custom boot cdrom.  This
seems to require that I have a floppy drive
to create the (lilo)  boot section for the cd.

Is there software, or a procedure, available
that will allow this without the actual floppy
drive?

Thanks in Advance,

John

2. How does this work with GPL?

3. Fatal Trap 12 during boot from floppies for fresh installation of freebsd5.0

4. VM: Killing process ....

5. 2nd ALSA update [12/12] - 2002/10/01

6. Help for Process and Network Connection??

7. s390 fixes (12/12).

8. Can GREP return the BYTE location ?

9. [2.5] kbuild-2.5 12/12: scsi stuff

10. Why do UMTS-links provide DNS Server 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14?

11. () Pointer to Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ (95/12/12)

12. i686 SMP systems with more then 12 GB ram with 2.4.x kernel ?