Problem mounting DOS filesystem on SCO V5.0.2

Problem mounting DOS filesystem on SCO V5.0.2

Post by Ben Faufa » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I get an invalid device when trying to mount my first DOS partition on
a SCO V5.0.2
mount -f DOS /dev/dsk/0sC /mnt

Does anyone has an idea?

Problem mounting DOS filesystem on SCO V5.0.2

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Ben Faufana telecommunicated:
| I get an invalid device when trying to mount my first DOS partition on
| a SCO V5.0.2
| mount -f DOS /dev/dsk/0sC /mnt

Did you configure DOS-filesystem support into your kernel?
If not, change N to Y in /etc/conf/sfsys.d/dos, then link a new
kernel.

I find that the command then works fine, with or without the -f DOS.

--

1. Problems reading CD-R under SCO OpenServer Enterprise V5.0.2

Does anyone has the same problems fixed?

We are using the SCO OpenServer Enterprise Version 5.0.2 on a Standard-PC
with an Adaptec SCSI controler (7870 or 1542CP) and a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM
player
(PX-12CSi) or/xor a player from Toshiba (XM3801TA).
We know they are not on the HW compatibility list of SCO, but as you know
it is very
difficult to get those oldies :-).

We have no problems reading "printed" CD-ROMs e.g. the one with the
operating system.
But we can't read a CD-R(ecordable) we or another one have "burned".

To fix the problem, we have tried and changed crosswise the writer HW (HP
4020i, YAMAHA,
Ricoh), the media (YAMAHA, sev. SONYs, FUJI) and the writer SW (EasyCd Pro,
WinOnCD,
cdwrite under Linux, SW from YAMAHA). We have made some investigations to
test the
correctness of the SCSI bus termination and the functionality of the CD-ROM
player
(no problem reading a CD-R under Windows95 !), but we always got the same
results under
the SCO operating system:

1) The command "cksum /dev/cd0" prints the error message
        cksum: Fehler beim Lesen der Daten von /dev/cd0: E/A-Fehler (Fehler 5)
    This message is in German, translated:
            cksum: Error reading data from /dev/cd0: I/O-Error (Error 5)

2) Because we can mount the cdrom and traverse the directories on the CD-R,
we tried to
    read the files on it. We found out that we can read (or cksum) some
files and some others
    not. The error message is the same as in 1).

3) The program "custom" (we want to make some installations with the CD-Rs)
terminates with
    an error message like the one in 1).

We suggest the problem is in the driver of the SCO operating system which
probably can not
handle all messages from the "new" CD-ROM player while reading a CD-R !?

Please write me any solutions or hints to find out what is going wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Juergen Degenhardt

2. mpeg for linux!?

3. Problems reading "small" CD-R under SCO OpenServer V5.0.2

4. Strange error message

5. Multi-processers under SCO v5.0.2

6. Apache: Simple CGI Question?

7. Time synchronization on SCO 3.2.v5.0.2

8. hidden cursor

9. SCO v5.0.2 window trouble

10. Clock drift on SCO OpenServer Desktop v5.0.2

11. Upgrade v5.0.2 eval to 5.0.4 full license

12. sendmail on v5.0.2

13. re-licensing v5.0.2