PLEASE HELP! win95 -> SCO via tcp

Post by Martin E. Lockle » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Trying to connect Dell Win95 box to SCO UNIX server via tcp.

We are having a problem getting our P75 with Windows95 to see and
reconize the network neighorhood.  We are currently running ODT
3.0.0.0b / UNIX 3.2r4.2 as a server, and want to connect the PCs.

Using SMC EtherNet Elite 16 card in box boxes and 10Base-T wiring.
Win95 recognizes the board.

We have configured our network neighborhood properties for the SMC
card, and TCP/IP.  We've tried to run under the TCP/IP alone and
run under the MS Client (client for MS Networks).  We can connect to
the server utilizing the telnet, in the dos mode; however we can not
see the network under the network Neigherhood ICON.

TIA

Martin E Locklear

(fancy mail tag goes here)

Post by Edward Hooper » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: We have configured our network neighborhood properties for the SMC
: card, and TCP/IP.  We've tried to run under the TCP/IP alone and
: run under the MS Client (client for MS Networks).  We can connect to
: the server utilizing the telnet, in the dos mode; however we can not
: see the network under the network Neigherhood ICON.

You need a LanManager Server of some kind running on the SCO box.  Try Samba,
which is available at:

  ftp://ftp.celestial.com/pub/sco-ports/unix/samba-1.9.13.tar.gz

I think the path is correct.  The best thing would be to ftp to the site and
follow the directory tree down.

Hope this helps!

Jolan tru,
Edward Hooper

--

"Where connectors come from!"

PLEASE HELP! win95 -> SCO via tcp

Post by Jonathan Ch » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>We have configured our network neighborhood properties for the SMC
>card, and TCP/IP.  We've tried to run under the TCP/IP alone and
>run under the MS Client (client for MS Networks).  We can connect to
>the server utilizing the telnet, in the dos mode; however we can not
>see the network under the network Neigherhood ICON.

The Network Neighbourhood stuff relates to machines using the
NetBIOS/NetBEUI (sic?) protocols.  So unless you install something
that understands those protocols (eg: samba or Lan Manager on SCO 5),
you won't see anything the UNIX server on the Network Neighbourhood
folder.

PLEASE HELP! win95 -> SCO via tcp

Post by Daniel Jacobs 702.871.44 » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

You need either LanManager or SAMBA (my preference). I don't have a URL
for SAMBA handy, but Yahoo should turn something up.

: Trying to connect Dell Win95 box to SCO UNIX server via tcp.

: We are having a problem getting our P75 with Windows95 to see and
: reconize the network neighorhood.  We are currently running ODT
: 3.0.0.0b / UNIX 3.2r4.2 as a server, and want to connect the PCs.

: Using SMC EtherNet Elite 16 card in box boxes and 10Base-T wiring.
: Win95 recognizes the board.

: We have configured our network neighborhood properties for the SMC
: card, and TCP/IP.  We've tried to run under the TCP/IP alone and
: run under the MS Client (client for MS Networks).  We can connect to
: the server utilizing the telnet, in the dos mode; however we can not
: see the network under the network Neigherhood ICON.

: TIA

: Martin E Locklear

: (fancy mail tag goes here)

--
Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic - PT

sysadmin            |     (702) 871-4461 or finger danielj for info

PLEASE HELP! win95 -> SCO via tcp

Post by Joe DeBi » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm doing this by using SCO NFS on the unix box running pcnfsd.
I'm using interdrive95 from FTP software on my Win95 PC's.  This
allows us
to see the unix boxes, use the printers and mount exsported file
systems.
Hope this helps.
Joe DeBiso

PLEASE HELP! win95 -> SCO via tcp

Post by David Mitchel » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

WIN95 to SCO unix?

Under normal operation the SCO server will never appear as part of the
Network Neighborhood.  What would you do with it if it were there?

Run 'Windows\Telnet', input the TCP/IP address as HOST name, and you are
into SCO.  Using Telnet you run UNIX programs on your UNIX computer.  All
the information however stays in UNIX... where it is safe.  The WIN95
Telnet is very basic.  It emulates ANSI but not SCO ANSI.  There are much
better Telnet terminal programs available both commercially and on the
net.  The best value is Anzio Lite.

To physically move data to and from SCO use FTP.  Run 'Windows\FTP' which
is fairly basic.  It takes a while to configure but for transferring data
repetitively it works well.  We use FTP combined with wincron.exe or
scheduler to copy data files in and out of Unix.  For occasional file
transfers (and a GUI) I have found a number of freeware FTP programs on
the net.  There is also a good one included in Norton Navigator.

I have a pair of servers- SCO UNIX and WIN NT - linked to several WIN95
and WFWG terminals, and  have shortcuts to both Telnet and FTP on the
desktop.  Although overkill WIN95 is a good terminal platform.

David Mitchell

PLEASE HELP! win95 -> SCO via tcp

Post by Scott Deardorf » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

You can connect serveral ways from WIN 95 to SCO Unix, TCPIP, Lan Manager,
IPX/SPX.  I recently connected PPP w/ WIN 95 and it turned out
to be a beautiful day in the nayborhood, I quickly had netscape
and eudora up, getting Web pages, Terminal Access, FTP, and RealTime
audio, all being served to the PC from the SCO box.  I used the
Winsock interface under Win95.

My 2 Cents,

Scott

comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.unix.s
co,comp.unix.sco.misc,comp.unix.xenix.sco
> Subject: Reply: win95 -> SCO via tcp
> Date: 16 Jan 1996 08:51:02 GMT

comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup:44896 comp.unix.sco.misc:13885
comp.unix.xenix.sco:13813
Quote:

Post by P.R.Joh » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> WIN95 to SCO unix?

> Under normal operation the SCO server will never appear as part of the
> Network Neighborhood.  What would you do with it if it were there?

With Samba installed, from '95:

< Quote >

1) From Explorer, right click on the Network Neighborhood and
   click on 'Map Network Drive'  Enter the path \\computer\share
   and select what drive letter to map it to

2) From DOS prompt, enter the command:

   C:\> NET USE Z: \\COMPUTER\SHARE

< Unquote >

If you have a browse list, clicking Network Neighbourhood will show all shares on all machines.

In WfWg, select Connect Network Drive in File Manager, select a drive letter, type in \\scohostname\resourcename, your SCO password if prompted, and you see the directory (albeit with scrambled long file-names) as you would any other networked drive. S
me for printers, though you need to install the Windows printer drivers for any printer on the SCO system.

This way, you don't have to fire up ftp, move the files over and load; just click them in. (I load highly modified Uniplex files directly into Corel from my SCO directories, do my work, and print them on the SCO laser). I use telnet+emulation (eg Refle
tion 2, TTwin, Termite, JSB Multiview, Tiny TERM, Pipeline, Anzio, depending on your needs/pocket) to run my SCO character-based apps. Some have '95 versions. I run X on my PCs to check out documentation etc.

--
P.R.John

1. PLEASE HELP! win95 -> SCO via tcp

Pardon me if someone has already answered this.  I've been catching up on
my back mail.

The answer to the question is that Win 95's network neighborhood feature
only supports Windows and Novell networks.  Other networks still work with
Win 95, but the neighborhood feature doesn't.

Marsh Feldman                               Phone: 401/792-5953
Community Planning, 204 Rodman Hall           FAX: 401/792-4395

Kingston, RI 02881-0815

2. samba and printer sharing to win XP clients?

3. Reply: win95 -> SCO via tcp

4. OpenGL slow on Solaris?

5. How to: UUCP via TCP/ SCO -> UW

6. large files in AIX

7. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

8. qla1280 mem-mapped I/O fix