Filesystem Problem. Help/Advice Required Please.

Filesystem Problem. Help/Advice Required Please.

Post by ws1 » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

We are running SCO OpenServer Release 5. The initial hardware build and
software installation was done externally. The system has been running
ok for several months until recently. I am not aware that anything has
been changed on the server, no major upgrades etc.

Problem: On reboot (after a tidy shutdown), the system runs an fsck on
the root filesystem and reports that the filesystem is larger than the
device.

Filesystem is 4019369K and the device is 3865499K and recommends
a backup and rebuild.

However doing a df -v shows on /dev/root blocks 8038738
used is 846860, free is 7191878 and only 11% full.

Divvy shows blocks allocated to root as start block 406528
end block 4272026 giving a total 3865498 available for filesystem.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions as to why this is?
Thanking you in advance.
Colin Woodford.
Please reply by email as newsgroup access is limited.

1. Help. Need filesystem advice please.

Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.

Useful info
Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz
Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB
OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates
Filesystem: ext3
Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
Previously had Mandrake 8.0

This has happened 3 maybe 4 times with two of them being quite
painful.  I use tune2fs to force an fsck on my disk on reboot.  It
tells me that the drive is in an inconsistent state and I might lose
data.  And we go through the fsck and it changes stuff.

I lost a tar file containing a pristine .tgz of Windows98 partition (I
still boot to that to watch DVDs occasionally, and when it louses
itself up -- I would roll it back using the tar file so I didn't have
to spend 10 hours reinstalling.  It tooks 3 minutes instead).

Anyway, that file was painful to lose.

Latest I lost some files in the kdelibs rpm package.  (something went
corrupted and so no kde program would run without immediately
crashing).  I tried to fix them by doing an rpm -Uvh -replacepkgs and
it gave me a wierd error that it couldn't unlink one of the associated
files -- even though it wasn't in use and I was root.  So I rebooted,
ran an fsck it said "you'll lose data" -- I said "ok" and it did it.
When the machine came back, I tried the rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs again
and it succeeded and I can run KDE programs again.

What gives?  I don't know every single thing to know about a file
system, but this is definately getting old and I definately have data
that I don't want to lose (needless to say I'll be backing it up to CD
pronto).

I am planning on rebuilding this machine from scratch (I figured I'd
delay until Mandrake 8.2 comes out though because it's so close).
When I do should I bag ext3?  Has there been fixes made since the
release of Mandrake 8.1?  Should I go back to ext2 and live without
the Journal?

IBM's JFS is starting to look really good right now.  I know that
there are people out there who swear by ResierFS.

Please help me through this unreliability crisis.  :)

David.

2. Line-in recording stopped working

3. Urgent Help Required Regarding A Chat Program,PLEASE HELP,PLEASE

4. Installation version

5. ufsdump 0f /dir/filesystem.dump /filesystem requires second tape?

6. DHCP to other WAN sites from one server.

7. JServ problem --> help required please!!!

8. source code analyzers

10. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

11. Urgent Help Required Regarding A Chat Program,PLEASE HELP

12. Driver help required for all Win Printers ..Please Help me!

13. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!