Questions reguarding automation of server configuration

Questions reguarding automation of server configuration

Post by Stuart J. Brown » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I was wondering if anybody knows a way to reliably (and of course safely)
add a tape drive from the command line (i.e. don't have to flit through the
menus, as all ID's etc. are known beforehand), or some other method (short
of installing and using 'expect') to do this?

I've looked through
/usr/lib/mkdev/{tape,.tapefuncs,.scsi,.scsi_iiop,.scsitape,.scsitape_iiop},
and have determined that unless there's a nice way to pass arguments (which
I missed), it's a complete hack-job in order to do this.

(condensed version: call the 'addscsi' routine which is in '.scsitape', and
answer the questions, or pre-answer them for the following scripts)

Any help would be appreciated.

To answer 'Why' before someone asks.  All the servers we build up have
devices set up in the same location to aid familiarity between them.  In
this case, all SCSI tape ID's are set to 2 etc. on the alad: alad(0,0,2,0).
When using the boot: prompt to do this, it of course doesn't set it up as a
DDS tape (have to answer 4 to that lovely question), but as a Cartridge (I
believe) drive.

So basically, I want to be able to create the tape drive automatically upon
execution of the installation script.  This is one of the few things that I
have left that haven't been automated.

Thank you in advance.

Stuart J. Browne