Upgrading 'arad' Drivers to 'alad' on Altos 7000 running Altos SCO Unix

Upgrading 'arad' Drivers to 'alad' on Altos 7000 running Altos SCO Unix

Post by Bob Daws » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am attempting to move a disk running Altos SCO Unix  (the Altos version of SCO
v3.2) to a new Altos 9000 Chassis. When the Operating System was installed I
used the 'arad' driver disk (AIC 7700 I think) that came with the machine. The
new Chassis has a backplane that uses the 'alad' driver (AIC 7800 I think).
Whilst the disk boots in the old machine, the 'no operating system' message
appears when I try to boot it from the new machine.

I have booted the new machine from an Emergency Boot & Root Floppy from a SCO V5
system, but it will not allow me to mount the hard disk file system, reporting
unrecognised file system (error 22).

Any suggestions as to upgrading the file system with the new driver would be
gratefully received. I do not wish to re-install the OS, and rebuild the disk if
I can avoid it.

Regards

Bob Dawson

Post by Bela Lubki » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I am attempting to move a disk running Altos SCO Unix  (the Altos version of SCO
> v3.2) to a new Altos 9000 Chassis. When the Operating System was installed I
> used the 'arad' driver disk (AIC 7700 I think) that came with the machine. The
> new Chassis has a backplane that uses the 'alad' driver (AIC 7800 I think).
> Whilst the disk boots in the old machine, the 'no operating system' message
> appears when I try to boot it from the new machine.

> I have booted the new machine from an Emergency Boot & Root Floppy from a SCO V5
> system, but it will not allow me to mount the hard disk file system, reporting
> unrecognised file system (error 22).

> Any suggestions as to upgrading the file system with the new driver would be
> gratefully received. I do not wish to re-install the OS, and rebuild the disk if
> I can avoid it.

Both the "NO OS" message that you get when trying to boot the disk, and
the "unrecognized file system" when you try to access it from an OSR5
boot/root set, indicate disk parameter problems.  The partitions on the
disk were created relative to one disk geometry, while the alad driver
is using a different geometry for the disk.

OSR5 has a facility by which the geometry of a SCSI disk can be
overridden.  Unfortunately, that facility does not work with older
releases.  There is one hope: some of the parts, and perhaps all (I'm
not sure) of that facility are included in uod429a.  Can you put the
disk back into the old chassis, boot it, and install uod429a?  Once it's
installed, relink, reboot, and then run

  dparam /dev/rhd00 `dparam /dev/rhd00`

(you must run this after having rebooted with uod429a in the kernel;
otherwise it will have no effect).

Once that's done, reboot again to verify that the disk is still bootable
in the old machine.  Also build an "alad" kernel while you're at it
(edit /etc/conf/sdevice.d/alad, change "N" to "Y", relink).  After that,
make a new set of boot/root floppies with `mkdev fd` (this set will be a
3.2v4.2 (or Altos whatever-release) boot/root set with both arad and
alad drivers in the kernel, and with the SCSI disk parameter changing
facility in the kernel).  Then move the disk to the new machine with the
2940 controller.  Boot with "defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,0)".  Any luck?

While you're doing this, be sure to note the disk parameters seen with
the old controller.  You want to see the same parameters with the new.
Since you can't boot as long as they're wrong, you won't see them
directly; but you can boot your new boot/root set and try to mount the
hard disk.  That will get you at least a "%disk" message with the
geometry information.

Quote:>Bela<

Post by Bob Loesche » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > I am attempting to move a disk running Altos SCO Unix  (the Altos version of SCO
> > v3.2) to a new Altos 9000 Chassis. When the Operating System was installed I
> > used the 'arad' driver disk (AIC 7700 I think) that came with the machine. The
> > new Chassis has a backplane that uses the 'alad' driver (AIC 7800 I think).
> > Whilst the disk boots in the old machine, the 'no operating system' message
> > appears when I try to boot it from the new machine.

> > I have booted the new machine from an Emergency Boot & Root Floppy from a SCO V5
> > system, but it will not allow me to mount the hard disk file system, reporting
> > unrecognised file system (error 22).

> > Any suggestions as to upgrading the file system with the new driver would be
> > gratefully received. I do not wish to re-install the OS, and rebuild the disk if
> > I can avoid it.
> Bela is most likely correct. However, if you still have problems

try the Souix City boys. They specialize in Altos installs and
probably have something to help you.

Sorry but I forgot their web address and telephone number. Maybe
someone else knows?

Da "I'm not at work" Bobguy

1. OSE 504 Upgrade on Acer Altos 7000

Hi All,
I've now wasted 2 good w/e's trying to upgrade and Acer Altos 7000 with
96Mb memory, Inbuilt adaptec eisa (7700 arad driver) scsi controller with
2G HP C2490A hard drive and HP35470A Dat drive. I added a Compaq CDROM to
do the install. I have verified that the only termination is on the disk
drive and it is last on the bus. The other bits in the system is a Chase
eisa iopro card and 3com 3c579 network card plus the standard par/ser ports.
I have a Trident TVGA8900 display card. Its a dual 60Mhz Pentium too.
This system runs 3.2 4.2 perfectly.
The crunch comes in trying to install 504.
I go thru the selection screens and choose to do and interactive
fdisk/divvy and configure the disk as follows
boot    EAFS  yes  0     0     14999
swap   NON FS  no  1   15000   54999
root    HTFS  yes  2   55000   507749
u       HTFS  yes  3   507750  2something

This config runs 502 on another site just fine.
I then go thru the software selection and leave off all the X stuff  -
its a server -  and no nfs or ipx and no netscape stuff. I only have
140Mb to install. The process continues with creating the filesystems and
then goes on to setting up the root file system.
I get a message that Files are being copied then   'done'
I then get "Setting file permissions ...." and that were it hangs.
I waited for about 15 mins to see what happens - zippo just a bit of disk
activity from time to time.
I got desperate and tried an ancient arad bltd that came with the server
with the same results. I tried a later arad btld with the same results.
I have not tried hacking with the boot string other than the link command.
Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated!!
Please email me direct as well as posting responses as I cannot always
find time to read the news group.
TIA
Angela

--

Angela Williams         Support/System Administrator

                        The APPGEN/SCO Unix People
                        Johannesburg, South Africa

2. Help modify a printer interface file

3. Mystery lock-ups on Altos 7000 running OS5..... :-\

4. Problem recognizing partition

5. RH 4.0 upgrade fails: 'hostname' ok, but 'uname -n' == "(none)"

6. I'm MAD. pkgtool blew away /usr, Slackware 2.20

7. is there 'ar' or 'ranlib' for SCO?

8. Problems with include libraries..

9. Is there 'ar' or 'ranlib' on SCO?

10. is there 'ar' or 'ranlib' for SCO?

11. Acer Altos 330, can't find floppy controller

12. 'incvers' error when running 'make'

13. Problem running 'waisq' in 'chroot' file system