Development for 4.2 on Open Server 5?

Post by Charlie Brad » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Can anyone out there verify that it is possible to use Open Server 5 as a
development platform for SCO 3.2v4.2? I am still waiting for the official
SCO line, but I have been told two things:

1. If you don't use any new system calls which don't exist under 4.2,
applications developed under 5 can run on 4.2. I haven't yet clarified
whether on ewould need to copy shared libraries onto the 4.2 system, or
alternatively, have and use 4.2 libraries on the dev system.

2. The development system on Open Server 5 includes compiler flags for
targetting development to 3.2v4.2.

Comments please? I'd dearly love to move our development away from the
senseless limitations of 3.2v4.2.

Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 9, 320 Pitt St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 395 3396 Fax: +61 2 395 3225

Development for 4.2 on Open Server 5?

Post by Robert Li » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>development platform for SCO 3.2v4.2? I am still waiting for the official
>SCO line, but I have been told two things:

Well, you should probably continue to wait, but I've tinkered with this
area before..

Quote:>1. If you don't use any new system calls which don't exist under 4.2,
>applications developed under 5 can run on 4.2. I haven't yet clarified

This is true.  There are caveats.  First, you can't do things like
generate an elf binary and expect it to run under 3.2v4.2.  Second,
if your code automatically figures out what is available and what
isn't (ala GNU autoconf or Larry Wall's 'configure') you'll have to
keep it on a leash.

Quote:>whether on ewould need to copy shared libraries onto the 4.2 system, or
>alternatively, have and use 4.2 libraries on the dev system.

I don't think I've seen the OpenServer 5 development system ever use
the shared libraries.  If you're generating COFF, you'll always (?)
get statically linked binaries.  This is my experience.  There may
be some exception, but I sure haven't seen it.

Quote:>2. The development system on Open Server 5 includes compiler flags for
>targetting development to 3.2v4.2.

Again, there's a little bit of a twist here.  The compiler flags
control the runtime behaviour of the libraries and the namespace
provided to the proprocessor (i.e. "-a ods30").  They do not control
the namespace availalbe to the linker.  If you're religios about
paying attention to (and turning on) warnings, this is OK.

Quote:>Comments please? I'd dearly love to move our development away from the
>senseless limitations of 3.2v4.2.

You have to think about what you're doing, but it's very doable and
not a lot of work.  If you do bozo, it's not like it'll fail in some
wierd way - you get an ENOSYS signal and that's that.

However, I see that we have a FAQ brewing here....

RJL
--

Post by Bill Campbe » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Can anyone out there verify that it is possible to use Open Server 5 as a
: development platform for SCO 3.2v4.2?.....

I have found some things that are defined in the 3.2v4.2 headers that
simply don't exist in the 3.2v5.0 headers.  I found several while
getting u386mon running under OSR-5, and at this point I don't think
there's any way that this could be compiled for 3.2v4 under 3.2v5
since some minor things like ifreelist definitions don't exist anyplace
in the the OSR-5 header files.

Bill
--

UUCP:              camco!bill   2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:           (206) 232-9186   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

1. sco open server 4.2 networking

hi there,

we have still some systems out there with sco open server 4.2.
now our customers would like to do "networking" on this machines.

so here is my silly question : is there a possibility to do networking
on
sco open server 4.2.

please do not comment your answer, just say "NO" or "YES with ...." so i
can
print it out and show it to my boss.

thank you

2. Netscape under Merge?

3. 4.2 Open server 3.0

4. Looking for Authors

5. development compatibility between aix 3.2 and 4.2?

6. The equivalent of the HP-UX "ddfa" on Digital_UNIX

7. Development System for SCO 3.2 4.2 Host system

8. Oh flip... another one gets compromised...

9. need serial license for SCO OPEN SERVER 5.0.5 Development Kit

10. Open development of a Linux-based home server

11. SCO Open Server Development System Installation

12. open server 5 development environment

13. FTP hung on SCO Open Server TCP/IPI am runnung SCO Open Server Network System release 3.2 v 4.2 on a Compaq