X Windows emulator (fwd)

Post by Vendyres Bake » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

Hello ;
Quick Question;
Can you suggest any good X Windows emaulator package for sco ODT 2.0 The
majority of my workstations run under Windows, unix host are accessed via
novel network 3.12.

X Windows emulator (fwd)

Post by Lee Pen » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello ;
>Quick Question;
>Can you suggest any good X Windows emaulator package for sco ODT 2.0 The
>majority of my workstations run under Windows, unix host are accessed via
>novel network 3.12.

So far... my vote goes to  NCD's PC Xware.  The latest release solves a
window focus problem by isolating all X apps to a single MicroSoft Window.
If you don't do this, there is a problem of window focus as you bounce
between regular Windows apps and X apps.

Am testing IXI's Visionware product.  I like the initial feel of it, but
have yet to get it installed correctly.  Have not taken all the time to
RTFM and have called them for help.

None of the X-Servers for MS Windows are particularly cheap.  Figure on
$300+ /seat.  PC Xware lists for $495/seat and there are some discounts.

SCO APC, 7444 Jager Ct., Cincinnati, OH 45230-4344    FAX: (513) 232-7801

X Windows emulator (fwd)

Post by Ben Phili » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> >From someone:

> > >Hello ;
> > >Quick Question;
> > >Can you suggest any good X Windows emaulator package for sco ODT 2.0 The
> > >majority of my workstations run under Windows, unix host are accessed via
> > >novel network 3.12.

> >From Lee Penn

> > So far... my vote goes to  NCD's PC Xware.  The latest release solves a
> > window focus problem by isolating all X apps to a single MicroSoft Window.
> > If you don't do this, there is a problem of window focus as you bounce
> > between regular Windows apps and X apps.

> When I asked one of the techs how to call up a character application and
> he said I would have to buy  another of their products.  Their main emulation
> is VT320.  I asked where the scoansi one was, and the reply was 'What?'
> I'm sure they'll get there one of these days.

> Yesterday, while attending the 'SCO unveiling' in Ft. Lauderdale, one
> fellow mentioned his use of Visionware.  He said he uses it for
> connectivity, but not as an X emulator.  He further said it's way too
> expensive for that.  Stick with TinyTERM.

> Anyway, I'd like to hear some comments on XVision from you guys.

> Ciao

I have to cast my vote for Hummingbird's eXceed software which is just superb!
We have been using it for a year now and have had absolutely no problems with it.
The only problem we had was, with the absolutely horrible SuperTCP TCP/Ip stack
that was bundled with it.  Since we are on WFW here I just replaced the SuperTCP
TCP/IP stack with the Microsoft Wolverine Stack from ftp.microsoft.com

HCL now includes the Wolverine stack as part of the eXceed package, along with
the superTCP stack.  Try http://www.hcl.com or http://www.hummingbird.com for
their www page to see more details on features.  No, I am not paid to say this.
Just, one happy customer.

WWW: http://www.granada.com/~bphilip/index.html       21 B Street, Dept:CONNEX
Phone  : (617)270-0074 x441                           Burlington MA 01803

X Windows emulator (fwd)

Post by Mark Dav » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

>Hello ;
>Quick Question;
>Can you suggest any good X Windows emaulator package for sco ODT 2.0 The

There is no such thing as an "X Windows emulator".  And even if there were,
you would not need it for SCO ODT, since ODT already includes the complete
X package.

If you are refering to Xservers, then Xfree is really nice (especially
combined with Linux, a free Unix).  There are also many different commercial
Xservers for non-Unix platforms- check the trade mags, they are plastered
with ads.

  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

X Windows emulator (fwd)

Post by Lee Pen » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>> When I asked one of the techs how to call up a character application and
>> he said I would have to buy  another of their products.  Their main emulation
>> is VT320.  I asked where the scoansi one was, and the reply was 'What?'
>> I'm sure they'll get there one of these days.

Hmmmm... If there is any confusion, you just run your character application
in a   "scoterm"  window under X.  I launch these all the time by a
mouse click to bring up MAS90, Word Perfect, etc etc.

Before anyone jumps on me over Word Perfect, the X version is just too
damned slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Post by Mark Dav » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>> When I asked one of the techs how to call up a character application and
>>> he said I would have to buy  another of their products.  Their main emulation
>>> is VT320.  I asked where the scoansi one was, and the reply was 'What?'
>>> I'm sure they'll get there one of these days.

>Hmmmm... If there is any confusion, you just run your character application
>in a   "scoterm"  window under X.  I launch these all the time by a
>mouse click to bring up MAS90, Word Perfect, etc etc.
>Before anyone jumps on me over Word Perfect, the X version is just too
>damned slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

On a slower machine, using WordPerfect for X on the console *IS* slow.  It
is much better on an Xterminal, however.  But at least WordPerfect still
has a nice character version which works great Anywhere (I wish ALL programs
had both GUI and text).

  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

X Windows emulator (fwd)

Post by Alan Hansl » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hello ;
>Quick Question;
>Can you suggest any good X Windows emaulator package for sco ODT 2.0 The
>majority of my workstations run under Windows, unix host are accessed via
>novel network 3.12.

I'm using PCXware 2.0 a X-windows emulation program that runs under
windows.  It is made by NCD Network Computing Devices Inc.  The program
allows me to run MS Windows and then run my complete open desktop windows
on my SCO UNIX server.  NCD is 503-641-2200 and are located in
Beaverton, Oregon.  I believe the package is around $300 depending
on your excate requirments.  Hope this helps, they also have a version
that runs under DOS.

alan

X Windows emulator (fwd)

Post by Mark Dav » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Neat!!!!  This is more fun than even before!!

Quote:>>Can you suggest any good X Windows

I like "X Windows" or "Xwindows" and consider it unique, understandable, & OK,
although properly it would be "X" or "The X Window System" (too long, IMO)

Quote:>> X Windows emaulator

Xserver

Quote:>> package for sco ODT 2.0 The
>>majority of my workstations run under Windows,

MS-Windows

Quote:>> unix host are accessed via
>>novel network 3.12.

Netware

Quote:>I'm using PCXware 2.0 a X-windows emulation

Xserver!!!

Quote:> program that runs under
>windows.

MS-Windows

[...]

Quote:>that runs under DOS.

MS-DOS

!!!!

  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |