Using Sco box as email server

Post by Paul Jam » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm using a SCO box as a mail server for a number of Win 3.11 PC's.
The PC users get their email using Netscape 3's mail functionality, but it
looks like I have to have every user's email ID and IP address in the
/etc/hosts file before this method works. The MMDF table (smtp.chn) is
built from the hosts file and without the user's details, they cant
receive email.

Is there a way around this? - I dont really want to have to update the
/etc/hosts file all the time with new users, shifting users from machine
to machine and therefore changing IP addresses etc.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul James - Sysadmin (SCO UNIX)

ZR6PAJ
Hobie18 "My Girl" 9043
Sunny South Africa

Using Sco box as email server

Post by Paul Jam » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>If you are running SCO Unix 3.2.4.2 you need to ftp the post office
>protocol daemon (popper3)  and install it.
>If you are running SCO Open Server Enterprise, it is already there.

>After doing that, you will be able to access the SCO server
>using Netscape or Eudora as you do with your ISP.

>You will have to create a login ID for each user.
>Set your email server's fields at each PC Netscape and
>fill free to have your email service working fine.

I am using the popper3 daemon and I've been able to get away with just
having all the possible IP addresses in my /etc/hosts file - its not
necessary to have the IP addr. AND the user ID in the hosts file like I
originally thought. These are necessary because the popper daemon checks
the IP address when a client (eg Netscape) tries to fetch mail.

--
Paul James - Sysadmin (SCO UNIX)

ZR6PAJ
Hobie18 "My Girl" 9043
Sunny South Africa

1. Tips on using a Linux box for an email server.

I am currently in charge of setting up an email server for a small (20-30
workstations) windows 98/95/NT based network.  I have been looking into using
Linux for the server.  I will have to use a dial-up connection to the ISP, who
provides us with unlimited email aliases for one pop account (any email sent to

seamlessly send mail to any email address through MS Outlook or MS Mail
(altough other clients could be used).

Is this possible, and if so, what software will be needed?  Has anyone
already been thorugh this?  Any ideas or suggestions on reading materials would
be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan T. Rhea

2. XF2.1 Mach32 lockup problem

3. Sending emails from a AIX server using a smtp server

4. NTP4.0.99k and RH7.0

5. Using Linux box to route email for Company.

6. IBM PS/2 486SLC2 and Linux

7. Microsoft Using SCO For Email

8. Teac 55A

9. can linux handle web server, ftp, e-mail, gateway,firewall on one box?

10. How do I set my RH 6.1 box up as an email server?

11. email server on my box

12. How to config my solaris box into an internet POP3 email server?

13. How to get email from Linux(Mail-)server to Client- Win-boxes?