Mount xenix /u system under SCO 5.02 and WD network card with Xenix

Mount xenix /u system under SCO 5.02 and WD network card with Xenix

Post by Prakash N Phalk » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have xenix and SCO 5.02 on same harddrive and would like to use
xenix filesystem under UNIX! I followed directions found in one of the
articles
on sosco and got message
could not stat device.
DOS is 1st partition, Xenix is 2nd and UNIX is 3rd partition.
do I need change numbers on mknod command?

Second question is on WD 8003EBT NIC.
It works OK under xenix right after mkdev wdn and mkdev tcp. If I reboot
into DOS and back again in Xenix, it stops working. Then I delete it.
redo mkdev wdn;mkdev tcp and works OK. I am experiencing similar
under SCO UNIX. Is there problem with card initialization after reboots.
Thanks for help.
Prakash Phalke                          | Phone: (702) 564-7484
Computer Science/GIS Instructor         | Fax:   (702) 564-3367

700 College Drive                       |  A Home page can be found at...
Henderson  NV 89015-8419                | http://prakash.ccsn.nevada.edu

Post by Bela Lubki » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I have xenix and SCO 5.02 on same harddrive and would like to use
> xenix filesystem under UNIX! I followed directions found in one of the
> articles
> on sosco and got message
> could not stat device.
> DOS is 1st partition, Xenix is 2nd and UNIX is 3rd partition.
> do I need change numbers on mknod command?

You need to run `mkdev xenix` to add the Xenix filesystem support to the
kernel.

Quote:> Second question is on WD 8003EBT NIC.
> It works OK under xenix right after mkdev wdn and mkdev tcp. If I reboot
> into DOS and back again in Xenix, it stops working. Then I delete it.
> redo mkdev wdn;mkdev tcp and works OK. I am experiencing similar
> under SCO UNIX. Is there problem with card initialization after reboots.

Apparently your DOS drivers for the card are setting the card into an
unusable configuration.  They may just be configuring the card for a
different I/O address, interrupt or memory address than you've
configured under Unix.  Check what parameters the DOS driver announces.

When you run `netconfig` under Unix, or `mkdev wdn` under Xenix, the
card is reprogrammed to the settings you specified.  That's why it makes
the card start working again (until the DOS drivers reprogram them
again).  Under Xenix, this is done with a program called "wdnsetup".
The equivalent under OSR5 is hidden inside netconfig, and I'm not sure
how you use it outside of netconfig.

Quote:>Bela<

1. Reading multi-volume xenix tar files on non xenix systems

I am in the process of migrating some old software from a 386
running xenix onto a 486 running Linux (Please, no flames about
OS choice. I'm not interested.)

With the old software monthly archival data was written out to floppies
using Xenix multi-volume tar files. Now, I'd like to be able to read
those multi-volume tar files on the new Linux installation.
The problem is that the floppies contain large files that span
more than one disk.

Xenix tar recognizes that the next disk is a continuation of the
file on the previous disk, but if I untar the disks on linux this,
of course, does not work. The second or subsequence volumes just
get interpreted as a new file with the same name as an existing file,
and the existing file gets overwritten.

As a kludge I can read in the different volumes into separate directories
and append the resulting files with the same name by hand, but this is no
solution for the end user who wants to be able to get at his archival data.
Does anyone have source code for a version of tar that will read these Xenix
multi-volume tar files?

Thanks,

-- eric

Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

2. ANNOUNCE: New home for Slackware SimpleFixes

3. Wanted: Xenix 2.3.4 or Xenix 2.3.4 GT

4. E450 does not boot with serial console

5. xenix to unix file conversion FROM XENIX TAPE

6. Netscape 3.0 Linux Problem!!

7. diff. XENIX problems: need SCSI-Support, move XENIX to another HD, ...

8. How To subscribe ?

9. Mounting Xenix drive under SCO UNIX 5.0.4

10. How to make kernel calls to SCO XENIX System V?

11. mounting xenix file system in Linux

12. Mounting SYSV or Xenix File Systems

13. Mounting Xenix file system on Linux