How to upgrade glib-2.1.x to glib-2.2.x on Debian?

How to upgrade glib-2.1.x to glib-2.2.x on Debian?

Post by Mike Laws » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 04:38:03

Hello,

Ther is a program in *.deb I want to install on my Debian Potato 2.2,
but it depends on glib-2.2.x and I only have glib-2.1.x installed! how
can I upgrade glib without reinstalling the hole system. Do
applications linked to glib-2.1.x also work with glib-2.2.x - in my
opinion they should!. Is there a way similar to upgrading the linux
kernel?
thanks a lot for you help!

greatings
Mike Lawson

How to upgrade glib-2.1.x to glib-2.2.x on Debian?

Post by Jon Merrima » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:20:28

You can get glibc-2.2.4 from GNU's FTP site (ftp://gnuftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc).

Be very careful. Improper installation _will_ render your system useless. If you can, make a back up of your hard drive prior to installing.

Jon Merriman

On 15 Dec 2001 11:38:03 -0800

> Hello,

> Ther is a program in *.deb I want to install on my Debian Potato 2.2,
> but it depends on glib-2.2.x and I only have glib-2.1.x installed! how
> can I upgrade glib without reinstalling the hole system. Do
> applications linked to glib-2.1.x also work with glib-2.2.x - in my
> opinion they should!. Is there a way similar to upgrading the linux
> kernel?
> thanks a lot for you help!

> greatings
> Mike Lawson

How to upgrade glib-2.1.x to glib-2.2.x on Debian?

Post by Jurgen de Wij » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 19:47:04

Quote:>Ther is a program in *.deb I want to install on my Debian Potato 2.2,
>but it depends on glib-2.2.x and I only have glib-2.1.x installed! how
>can I upgrade glib without reinstalling the hole system.

You can't

Quote:> Do
>applications linked to glib-2.1.x also work with glib-2.2.x - in my
>opinion they should!.

The don't

The alternative is to download not the binary package but to download
the source package instead. This way the software is automatically
linked to glib-2.1.

Use the command apt-get source foo to get the foo source package.

--

How to upgrade glib-2.1.x to glib-2.2.x on Debian?

Post by Joel Maye » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 23:36:18

1. Compiling Mozilla with glib-2.x and gtk+-2.x ???

Hi,

has anybody compiled Mozilla with glib-2.x and gtk+-2.x?
I know that there is an option to 'configure' that tells to use gtk2 as
default tool kit but still compilation stops and complains that it can not
find glib-config version 1.x. Strange, since I cant use gtk+ 2.x with glib
1.x and I don't feel like downgrading.

2. Adaptec 2940 for FreeBSD 2.2.8

3. Problem with c++ and glib-2.1.1

4. Need Help - Want to connect pc to Unix as a dumb terminal

5. Compiling mozilla source with gtk+2.0.6 and glib-2.0.6

6. is 3.1 basic config misleading?

7. HELP: Compiling glib-2.2.1 in OPENBSD 3.2

8. exchange glibc

9. compiling glib-2.6.x on solaris (long)

10. glib-config returned 1.2.10 but glib 2.0.3 found error.

11. need urgent help re glib-2.2

12. glib 1.2.6 >= glib 1.2.2???

13. glib-2.0 install problems