How do I use the LS-120 - aka Superdisk - under Linux

How do I use the LS-120 - aka Superdisk - under Linux

Post by Michael Mannal » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I contacted Imation in the UK yesterday (28 Aug) and asked if there was a
driver available (or plans to develop one) for Linux.  His response was no
to both but that some date 'in the future' Unix (and hopefully therefore its
superior clone Linux) would be the next logical choice.

I read in one instruction manual that the LS-120 is treated as a E-IDE but
although it was detected it was unrecognised and unusable.

Does anybody know of a way 'round this?

Michael
---

Post by Steven Han » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I read in one instruction manual that the LS-120 is treated as a E-IDE but
> although it was detected it was unrecognised and unusable.

I have been using an LS-120 with no real problems on linux for about
six months now. It is supported by the ATAPI floppy driver which works
fine with 2.0.34.

One problem you may be having is that it doesn't work in quite the
same way with e.g. mtools. As most LS-120 disks are pre-formatted
in MS-DOG format, you could try:

# mount -tmsdos /dev/hd? /mnt

(where '?' is probably 'b', 'c' or 'd')

and see if there is any disk activity, and/or if you can then
ls /mnt (or cp stuff there).

If you only want to use the LS-120 under linux (e.g. as a backup
technology), then just make an ext2 filesystem on it ("mke2fs /dev/hd?")
and mount it with no options.

HTH,

S.