Redhat 7.1, where's the FTP server gone?

Redhat 7.1, where's the FTP server gone?

Post by Rob » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:36:57

How do i start the FTP server on redhat 7.1?
I've found the file /etc/xinetd.d/telnet which I editted to get telnet
working.  I was going to copy this and rename it ftp but I couldn't find the
ftp daemon (??/usr/sbin/in.ftpd??).

Post by Pantek Suppor » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:33:11

> How do i start the FTP server on redhat 7.1?
> I've found the file /etc/xinetd.d/telnet which I editted to get telnet
> working.  I was going to copy this and rename it ftp but I couldn't find
the
> ftp daemon (??/usr/sbin/in.ftpd??).

You will need the wu-ftpd and anonftp packages installed to use RedHat 7.1's
FTP server.  You can obtain these RPMs at
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/7.1/en/os/i386/R...
PMS/.  Also worth mention is ProFTPD -- a very secure and versatile FTP
server.  ProFTPD RPM packages and source can be found at
http://www.proftpd.org/, or with a search at http://www.freshmeat.net/.

--
24/7 Global Linux Support & Security Center - http://linux.pantek.com/
 - searchable knowledge base w/ online reference material;

 Pantek, Incoporated <http://linux.pantek.com/>

Post by The Martia » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:56:42

> How do i start the FTP server on redhat 7.1? I've found the file
> /etc/xinetd.d/telnet which I editted to get telnet working.  I was going
> to copy this and rename it ftp but I couldn't find the ftp daemon
> (??/usr/sbin/in.ftpd??).

By default 7.1 has sftpd installed, as part of the openssh package. Now
the bad news, I have not been able to find a windoze client for this (ok
I did not look that hard!). From another linux/unix box use sftp client
from the openssh package.

Anyway if you need normal FTP, you can install wu-ftp from the RPMs or go
for the much much better proftp which can be downloaded from freshmeat.net

--
David
Sydney, Australia

Redhat 7.1, where's the FTP server gone?

Post by ross » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 06:22:03

If you do a full ('everything') install you should get wu-ftp. It's on the
disc - you shouldn't really have to go out and get rpms unless you want a
different ftp server.
The script - as you probably know - is /etc/xinetd.d/wu.ftpd
If the script isn't there then I guess it wasn't part of your chosen package
installation. If it is, you might need to change the last line of the script
to disable=NO, like I had to when I found my ftp was awol ;)
Then /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

Apologies if you've done all this already,
ross

Quote:> How do i start the FTP server on redhat 7.1?

Post by Pantek Suppor » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:46:54

> By default 7.1 has sftpd installed, as part of the openssh package. Now
> the bad news, I have not been able to find a windoze client for this (ok
> I did not look that hard!). From another linux/unix box use sftp client
> from the openssh package.

The following page contains an sftp port to cygwin32:

    http://t-rex.materials.unsw.edu.au/~dpinson/sftp/