Problem with tsx-11????

Post by maurit.. » Wed, 21 Apr 1993 22:51:52

Is there some sort of problem with tsx-11.mit.edu?  I have been
trying to get on there for the last 2 days at various times of
the day and night, but it refuses additional anonymous logins.
Is there a problem, or has linux experienced a sudden surge in
popularity?  Or both? :)

The reason I ask is that I'm finally going to take the plunge
and get rid of Coherent in favor of linux so I wanted to get
the latest SLS release.

Best regards,

Chris

P.S.  If anyone out there has experience with using linux as
      a publicly accessible unix machine/BBS, I'd love to
      hear from you.  I intend to do just that in about 2 weeks.
      (waiting until I move to install 5 dedicated v.32bis lines)

Problem with tsx-11????

Post by Rusty Carru » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 00:28:13

>Is there some sort of problem with tsx-11.mit.edu?

It seems to be swamped with anon connections these last 2 days, yes.

Quote:>I have been
>trying to get on there for the last 2 days at various times of
>the day and night, but it refuses additional anonymous logins.
>Is there a problem, or has linux experienced a sudden surge in
>popularity?  Or both? :)

Both, it seems.  The limit of anonymous users on tsx-11 is 35,
the number on wuarchive just dropped from 100 to 50.  Wuarchive
was the only other site which seemed to have the current SLS
release, despite the advice from tsx-11 about mirror sites.

Anybody have any idea when sunsite and ftp.uu.net will have the
new SLS release?  (Yeah, I'm already hooked on linux :-)

Quote:>Best regards,

>Chris

>P.S.  If anyone out there has experience with using linux as
>      a publicly accessible unix machine/BBS, I'd love to
>      hear from you.  I intend to do just that in about 2 weeks.
>      (waiting until I move to install 5 dedicated v.32bis lines)

I am seriously considering exactly the same (well, ok, I've only
got one v.32 line and 100 meg free for bbs-ing).  There is probably
a mailing list for this, if not perhaps someone should start one?

If so, please put me on it!

--
73 de Rusty Carruth, N7IKQ   P.O. Box 27001, Tempe, AZ 85285

!'s:{ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!rusty               ^^^^broken!!!^^^^
Join the Usenet Un-Net:      1700-1900Z  Saturdays, 28.410 or 28.390 MHz

Problem with tsx-11????

Post by Arjan de V » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 07:57:43

writes:

Quote:>Is there some sort of problem with tsx-11.mit.edu?  I have been
>trying to get on there for the last 2 days at various times of
>the day and night, but it refuses additional anonymous logins.
>Is there a problem, or has linux experienced a sudden surge in
>popularity?  Or both? :)

The reason is, I think, the new SLS release which is very popular.

The problem with the recent SLS announcement was that it was done in public
on comp.os.linux.announce and then the whole world tries to ftp it from
tsx-11.mit.edu so that the even the mirror sites cannot get up-to-date.

I saw the announcement last Sunday some hours after Peter posted it, and I
immediately started the mirror program for my SLS mirror. When the mirror
was complete I announced it on some newsgroups in the Netherlands. Another
site in the Netherlands mirrored my SLS mirror. So SLS was mirrored in the
Netherlands before the big tsx-11 `attack' began. The last two days 1.5 Gb
was fetched from my site, mostly from the Netherlands and other European
countries. However, some people from the USA and Japan also used my site to
get the whole SLS (35 Mb). This is definitely NET-ABUSE! If my ftp daemon
would have the possibility to restrict access to linux/SLS to European
domains only, I would really do it!

I suggest the following solution:

A new SLS release is stored in some hidden directory by Peter. Then Peter
(or somebody else) mails all SLS mirror maintainers a notice saying that a
new release is available. These maintainers start their SLS mirroring as soon
as possible and reply to Peter when everything is finished. After two days
Peter can announce the new SLS release together with a (large) list of sites
(sorted by country/continent) which have responded with `mirror ready here'.

I think this is the only way to make tsx-11.mit.edu accesible again.

Any comments?

Arjan

Problem with tsx-11????

Post by Kris Gleas » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 12:58:28

>writes:
>>Is there some sort of problem with tsx-11.mit.edu?  I have been
>>trying to get on there for the last 2 days at various times of
>>the day and night, but it refuses additional anonymous logins.
>>Is there a problem, or has linux experienced a sudden surge in
>>popularity?  Or both? :)
>I suggest the following solution:
>A new SLS release is stored in some hidden directory by Peter. Then Peter
>(or somebody else) mails all SLS mirror maintainers a notice saying that a
>new release is available. These maintainers start their SLS mirroring as soon
>as possible and reply to Peter when everything is finished. After two days
>Peter can announce the new SLS release together with a (large) list of sites
>(sorted by country/continent) which have responded with `mirror ready here'.
>I think this is the only way to make tsx-11.mit.edu accesible again.
>Any comments?

How about a different login and password for the mirror programs?  Is it
possible to configure them to login as mirror with password protection
so that the mirrors have priority over the anonymous users?  Is this easily
done, or would it require lotsa hacking of everybody's code?  (just an
idea that popped into my head.  forgive me if it's totally inane).

This would require lots less coordination among humans (unless everybody
loses the password).

Kris
--

  HARDWARE (noun):  The equipment that makes up a
  computer system, not to be confused with software

Problem with tsx-11????

Post by Kenneth Hamer, » Wed, 21 Apr 1993 23:44:15

Quote:

> A new SLS release is stored in some hidden directory by Peter. Then Peter
> (or somebody else) mails all SLS mirror maintainers a notice saying that a
> new release is available. These maintainers start their SLS mirroring as soon
> as possible and reply to Peter when everything is finished. After two days
> Peter can announce the new SLS release together with a (large) list of sites
> (sorted by country/continent) which have responded with `mirror ready here'.

> I think this is the only way to make tsx-11.mit.edu accesible again.

This is a Good Idea (TM)

Even without the orgainization suggested above, if the mirroring sites are
given a couple of days to get their copies, everything will go a lot
smoother.  I would even just suggest doing everything as normal and just
not announce it for a couple of days, since many (most) of the mirrors are
automated and daily.

As far as the normal folks go:

PLEASE don't download SLS (or anything else big unless that's the only
place you can get it) from far-away sites.  The bandwidth from,
say, the U.S. to europe is limited.  Wait a couple of days if you have to.

PLEASE don't ftp large stuff during peak hours.  It's impolite.  If I had
a true internet link rather than a modem, I'd set up anon ftp to be
disabled during the day so I can get my work done.  Respect the fact that
some sites must be used during the day.

These are not commands, only pleas and suggestions.

-Ken

-Kenneth Hamer

Problem with tsx-11????

Post by Arjan de V » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 20:47:47

Quote:>How about a different login and password for the mirror programs?  Is it
>possible to configure them to login as mirror with password protection
>so that the mirrors have priority over the anonymous users?  Is this easily
>done, or would it require lotsa hacking of everybody's code?  (just an
>idea that popped into my head.  forgive me if it's totally inane).

It's really simple. The mirror script has a nice configuration file.

Quote:>This would require lots less coordination among humans (unless everybody
>loses the password).

It's a good idea too, but I don't know whether the tsx-11 administration
gives accounts to people unknown to them. Our sysops wouldn't even think
about it!

I'll wait for an answer from Peter and the tsx-11 maintainers.

Arjan

--
Arjan de Vet -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Eindhoven University of Technology

X.400    : c=nl;admd=400net;prmd=surf;o=tue;ou=win;s=devet -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Problem with tsx-11????

Post by william E Davids » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 04:17:25

| It's a good idea too, but I don't know whether the tsx-11 administration
| gives accounts to people unknown to them. Our sysops wouldn't even think
| about it!
|
| I'll wait for an answer from Peter and the tsx-11 maintainers.

  For ftp? Not a huge hole there, since anonymous is not the only user
who can be restricted.

  I'm unhappy because I just made three copies of SLS which I updated
on the 15th, and before I send them out they are outdated. I make them
pretty fast though, I have the SLS on my V.4 machine, exporting the
directory to my Linux and SCO machines. Then I run a bash script on the
Linux machine and a ksh script on the commercial machines, which
formats, verifies the format, copies the data (yes it knows about a1
and a2), and then verifies the data. It emits clear prompts and asks
for another disk of one fails either of the verify steps.

  At $1.50/disk I'm not going to offer to recopy the whole set, you can
bet on that, but I will get the latest soon and use it for the next
bunch. I was offering the whole thing on tape (SLS+TAMU) on tape for
$30, but there was not much demand.

--
bill davidsen, GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8; Schenectady NY 12345
    Last year I worried that Bush would die and let Quayle take over.

Problem with tsx-11????

Post by Bill C. Rieme » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 06:19:44

This is just a reminder.  To receive adds of people offering  linux mail-order

There are several international adds, and in a few weeks, I'll setup my European
email address to handle requests on the other side of the ocean.

                                               Bill

Quote:>  I'm unhappy because I just made three copies of SLS which I updated
>on the 15th, and before I send them out they are out-dated. I make them
>pretty fast though, I have the SLS on my V.4 machine, exporting the
>directory to my Linux and SCO machines.

I wish I knew how you get the business.  I have been offering SLS at
cheaper rates, only the latest version with a money back guarantee, but
never received more than two orders in the same week.  Anyway it is a little
late for your tips business tips to help me since, I'm moving at the
end of the month, but maybe you would like to share your advertising
tips with some the others on the net.

Yes, I too had one order on hand that was made obsolete...  I made the
mistake of updating to 1.01 and sending it out right away without trying
1.01 myself first.  So today I had to mail out the two disks that I downloaded
incorrectly.  I think it would be much smarter for others entering in
this field to just get a CD-NEWS, and consider that the current version
until the next issue comes out...  Oh well, live and learn.

Anyways as tips for future Linux distributors:
  1. Don't expect more than one or two orders a week if you only advertise
     in comp.os.linux and comp.os.linux.announce.
  2. Don't be afraid to offer a guarantee.  None of my orders came back.
  3. Disks are cheap, at most you'll pay $0.80 for 3.5" and $0.40 for
     5.25" preformatted, so don't charge more than this as a disk charge.
  4. It only takes at most 1 minute to copy and verify a disk from hard-
     drive, but you'll spend lots of time if you want to provide the most
     up-to-date version, so don't be afraid to charge for this extra time.
     Also, if you are like me, you never want a customer to feel dissatisfied.
     So, no matter how many ways you state that you won't take special orders
     (i.e. could you get a copy of seyon for me) you'll find people will still
     ask, and you'll feel obligated to do so.  On a typical order I spent
     maybe 45 minutes copying, 10 minutes packaging, 10 minutes mailing,
     and an evening hunting down compiling and testing software.  A good
     distributor will provide at least part of this support, so plan on this
     when you set your rates.

So anyways, how did my business venture go?

Well to start with I didn't really plan to make a profit, I just choose
my rates so that I could cover fixed costs and  have a little left over
to cover unexpected costs.  Then if I accidently made a profit I figured
I could donate it to the Free Software foundation.  OK, the plan pretty
much worked, except my profit is all in the form of extra bulk disks I
ordered...  Maybe if there are a couple of more orders still in the mail,
I'll end-up with about $70 to donate for about 60-80 hours of my time.
OK, not a big success financially, but I did meet my major goal which
was to get linux into the hands of more users.  Why?  Because we users
write linux software.  The more users, the more free software!

                                    Bill

1. Bugs in Slackware 2.0 and problem with TSX-11

Before you flame me, I apologize for posting this, but no response has
been given to my e-mail.  There is a bug in Slackware 2.0.
Specifically, the directory for the F series on ftp.cdrom.com is
missing several files, making that series uninstallable.

Furthermore, TSX-11.MIT.EDU is not properly mirroring ftp.cdrom.com.
The Slackware directory (/pub/linux/distributions/slackware) contains
all the right directories, but most of them are empty and those that
aren't are out of date.

                                Thank you,
                                  -- Rassilon

2. Shutdown problems w/ OpenServer 5.0.4

3. No Problem With tsx-11.mit.edu

4. Binaries for gcc and gnuplot

5. Problem with tsx-11.mit.edu ?

6. ### 8M --> 16 megs ---> computer not faster?

7. Problem Install SLS TSX-11

8. RFD: comp.os.linux.security

9. Problem with elvis binaries from tsx-11

10. Strange!!! problem in SLS/c1 on tsx-11

11. Xlib problems with pre-compiled apps off of tsx-11 : Xfig and Seyon

12. German FTP-Server ready/Mirroring tsx-11

13. where is 3.1.2F on tsx-11