A small Kernel

Post by Torsten Zirzla » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I wonder what I make particulary wrong. Since the 2.0.xx series
my own build kernels are growing even, when I do not change the
configuration. I do use modules and drop unused parts, but
the kernel image is growning. I mean I was able to build a
working kernel in 2.0.36 which is only ~210kB. with the recent
versions I'm not able to build images which are smaller than ~500kB

  Is there something wrong with me, or are the code is growing into
bloatware like other popular OS'?

TIA

        Torsten

A small Kernel

Post by Richard F. Jr » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:04:02

it's all the new added support for new file systems , new USB / Firewire
and hardware support... Linux is still (and hope to come) a Modular kernel
and
does get bigger as more things are added, this can not be avoided...

for the 2.2.x kernel's + remember use  " make bzImage "

:-)

Quote:> I wonder what I make particulary wrong. Since the 2.0.xx series
> my own build kernels are growing even, when I do not change the
> configuration. I do use modules and drop unused parts, but
> the kernel image is growning. I mean I was able to build a
> working kernel in 2.0.36 which is only ~210kB. with the recent
> versions I'm not able to build images which are smaller than ~500kB

>   Is there something wrong with me, or are the code is growing into
> bloatware like other popular OS'?

> TIA

> Torsten

 With Servers In California, Texas And *ia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

A small Kernel

Post by Torsten Zirzla » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>it's all the new added support for new file systems , new USB / Firewire
>and hardware support... Linux is still (and hope to come) a Modular kernel
>and
>does get bigger as more things are added, this can not be avoided...

>for the 2.2.x kernel's + remember use  " make bzImage "

Well, a bzImage is quite unuseful for an alpha, but what bothers me is, that
even when I do not use these new features or only use them in modules, why my
own build kernels are still growing in unexpected steps.

  Any ideas how to downsize a kernel?

Ciao

        Torsten

A small Kernel

Post by Wouter Bovelande » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00

i had the same problem compiling my 2.2.13 kernel. my kernels were so big
that make wouldn't even install them!

i solved the problem by configuring almost everything as module, except the
stuff that really needs to go into the kernel.

go through config with a fine comb and try to create as many modules as you
can.

wep

1. Small DB for a small computer

Hi I've got a p75 with 16MB of ram in it currently running a very cut down
version of RH7.0. It does however have an 11Gb HD in it.

What I'm looking for is running a simple database from it with maybe 3 or
four small tables. It only has to be fairly simple and must have jdbc client
support.

Any recommendations for something that might fit the bill?

2. HELP! bourne shell bug (setuid scripts)

3. Small low-power motherboard for small linux server

4. Networking with Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

5. Which small linux for a small machine?

6. removing users from /etc/passwd, like gopher, operator, halt, shutdown, etc...

7. SW Inspections-How small is small?

8. Setting up an ISDN TA

9. Netscape small font too small question

10. ANNOUNCEMENT- Small Precludes (A small OpenGL demo program)

11. Small Shell for small scripts

12. small install for a small system ???

13. Looking for *small* free embeddable multitasking kernel for Coldfire