: Re: [comp.os.linux]: Re: Difference between Root

Post by Rick Emers » Tue, 14 Jul 1992 12:18:29

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
> Subject: Re: [comp.os.linux]: Re: Difference between Root Disk utils and GNU

> Date: 12 Jul 92 22:13:58 GMT

> >> WOW!  I love the install script!

> >It's pretty neat!  The docs need to catch up with it, however.  For example,
> >the first time out I built a big Linux partition and a swap partition.  I
> >found out about root and usr after I was in the script and already
> >committed.  I'm a Unix newbie and didn't expect this choice.

> That's okay, I've had reports that the /usr partition isn't mounted
> during the install, anyways.  :)  I haven't looked at the install
> script to confirm this, but I suspect it may be right.  This will be
> fixed in later releases, of course.  :)

I guess the point with /usr is that it has to be allocated at some point and
it's helpful to know about it in advance.  <g>

Quote:> >Also, handing abort to the cp stuff fails because the <CR> is
> >taken to mean "OK" even though it's preceded but "abort".  Also, i had to
> >watch files copy to (who knows where) because of this.  A switch to say "I'm
> >back from the reboot" is preferable to assuming the current toggle between
> >1st pass/2nd pass.

> 'abort' is not handled at all prompts, just because I got a little
> lazy when writing the script. A way to reset the installation
> procedure would have been a good idea, too bad I didn't think of it.
> :)  This won't be necessary with the new installation procedure I'm
> working on.

Hmmm... "the new installation procedure [you're] working on" sounds like it
does everything but pour my morning coffee.  <laugh>

Quote:> >> Logging into to virterms so you can have the dos online while you do the
> >> install was handy.

> >DOS on-line while running the install?  How's that done?

> That was a type, I bet.  Should be 'docs'.

Ah... I feel better.  I thought I'd had another case of brain fade.

Quote:> >Um, I think (but can't verify right now) that rootimage is over 1.2MB when
> >it's expanded from it's .Z form.

> Since I make the rootimage on a 1.2MB disk, I think it's pretty safe
> to say that's incorrect.  The root image is exactly 1.2MB long.

And that's the name of that tune!

Quote:> >> REQUEST

> >> A file with the goodies for the newbie with RAWRITE and a DOS program to
> >> patch the boot image before using RAWRITE to make a boot to HD floppy.
> >> Idealy it could have some FAQs and the BEGINNER info.

> >Yes!!!!

> This is a good idea, anyone want to volunteer?  :)

Yes.  I've already begun to pull some notes together.  The question now is
which package gets the write up (I've just hauled in mcc).  Let's deal with
writing a guide in email.

Quote:> >> Also an AUX-BIN disk with GCC2.2.2 compiled goodies for the folks that
> >> are
> >> not up to recompiling them.  Such extras as awk, grep, sed, sort,
> >> mkuser,
> >> mtools and the like.

> >Yes, yes, yes!!!!  I'm still guessing and groping for stuff like find and a
> >*working* ps.

> I had said I was going to do something like this, and I'll probably
> get around to doing it sooner or later, but having DOS eat my Linux
> stuff has put that on hold.  I'm still scrounging to get everything
> back into order (I don't have find yet, either!).

Sorry to hear you were hosed.

Quote:> Getting a working 'ps' is tougher than it sounds, really, because the
> psdatabase depends on the version of the kernel you're running.

Is there an easy way to generate the psdatabase without rebuilding the
kernel (or whatever's involved)?  Can the file be shipped as part of the
boot/root image suite?

Rick

| Richard B. Emerson     | Replies may be sent to:                         |

| Post Office Box 180    |-------------------------------------------------+
| Lansdale, PA 19446 USA |     "Answers are the easy part                  |
| Voice: 215.855.1607    |     questions raise the doubt." - Jimmy Buffett |

Post by Jim Winstead J » Tue, 14 Jul 1992 15:37:43

>I guess the point with /usr is that it has to be allocated at some point and
>it's helpful to know about it in advance.  <g>

Well, actually, because the install script doesn't properly mount /usr
before during the installation, it ends up copying all the files in
/usr into the 'root' parition under /usr, so you can't mount a
filesystem there.  Doesn't matter, though, since when mount is called
from /etc/rc, it doesn't really mount anything, and thus doesn't try
to mount /usr on an invalid mount point.  That's a pretty bizarre
combination of bugs, I think.

Quote:>> 'abort' is not handled at all prompts, just because I got a little
>> lazy when writing the script. A way to reset the installation
>> procedure would have been a good idea, too bad I didn't think of it.
>> :)  This won't be necessary with the new installation procedure I'm
>> working on.

>Hmmm... "the new installation procedure [you're] working on" sounds like it
>does everything but pour my morning coffee.  <laugh>

I might be able to squeeze that in someplace.  :)  Actually, the new
installation stuff won't do a heck of a lot more than the current one
does, but it will do it all much more nicely.

Quote:>>[stuff about installation 'package' of docs and DOS stuff]

>Yes.  I've already begun to pull some notes together.  The question now is
>which package gets the write up (I've just hauled in mcc).  Let's deal with
>writing a guide in email.

Well, Iain Reid has written an excellent, if dated, installation guide
that can be found on tsx-11 in the pub/linux/docs directory.  He was
working on a new revision recently, but I'm not sure what sort of
progress he has made.

Also, Chuck Boyer has dropped me a line saying he was doing the same.
Maybe you two would like to coordinate your efforts, so we don't have
two very similar packages floating around.

Quote:>Sorry to hear you were hosed.

It's not so bad - this has forced me to do a complete reinstall, which
means I don't have the old glut of shared libraries and old versions
of programs.  I've even been able to upgrade to X in the process.

Quote:>> Getting a working 'ps' is tougher than it sounds, really, because the
>> psdatabase depends on the version of the kernel you're running.

>Is there an easy way to generate the psdatabase without rebuilding the
>kernel (or whatever's involved)?  Can the file be shipped as part of the
>boot/root image suite?

Unfortunately, there is not easy way to generate the database from the
files normally available.  I think we've seen what happens when the
psdatabase is shipped with the root image - it becomes out of date
quickly.

--
                                    +    Jim Winstead Jr. (CSci '95)
                                    |            Harvey Mudd College