setting up a LAN (double post? sorry)

Post by dejac.. » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:28:50

Hi if this is a double post, please forgive me... dejanews gave me an
error anyway,

I'm new at linux.. heck thats an understatement. Well, anyway, i was
wondering if i could get some help setting up a local area network.

We have DSL coming in to a co-op house at university, and i am in charge
of setting up a server in order to enable all 20 members of the house to
use their ethernet cards to get online.

All i have right now is the hardware. I was wondering if someone could
point me to a HOWTO or something that would explain the process in
depth, or perhaps give me some detailed instructions. Preferably, it
would use the least amount of software possible. Since im not too
familiar with linux, well, i think you get the picture.

Thanks for any time you give.

Cheers,
Dave

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

do a search on http://www.google.com for ipmasq

Look here: http://www.clarkconnect.org/

setting up a LAN (double post? sorry)

Post by Gokul Thirumala » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:34:17

Thats exactly what i am trying to accomplish at home. Its really a big pain
in the a$$. I have RHL 7.0 and I am trying to configure SAMBA to get working
with my Win98 mach. So far NO luck. anybody got lucky ?

--
gok

"Smile; it makes people wonder what you are thinking."
  - anonymous

> Hi if this is a double post, please forgive me... dejanews gave me an
> error anyway,

> I'm new at linux.. heck thats an understatement. Well, anyway, i was
> wondering if i could get some help setting up a local area network.

> We have DSL coming in to a co-op house at university, and i am in charge
> of setting up a server in order to enable all 20 members of the house to
> use their ethernet cards to get online.

> All i have right now is the hardware. I was wondering if someone could
> point me to a HOWTO or something that would explain the process in
> depth, or perhaps give me some detailed instructions. Preferably, it
> would use the least amount of software possible. Since im not too
> familiar with linux, well, i think you get the picture.

> Thanks for any time you give.

> Cheers,
> Dave

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

setting up a LAN (double post? sorry)

Post by Unseen Alchem » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:06:11

Gok

This was one of the first things I had to set up, RHL 6 has a html front end on
port 98, thats an easy way to set it up.
this is my /etc/smb.conf file, check with ps x to see if smbd is running, I
find that I have to reboot the machines to get windows to see the samba files,
other times they are just there.

;change 'path=' to point to the correct files
;change the name and numbers to suit your machine

[global]
    workgroup = UNSEENALCHEMY
    guest account = guest
    keep alive = 30
    os level = 2
    security = share
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes

; Please uncomment the following entry and replace the
; ip number and netmask with the correct numbers for
; your ethernet interface.
    interfaces = 192.168.7.9/255.255.255.0
    unix password sync = no
    encrypt passwords = no
    password level = 0
    null passwords = no
    preferred master = no
    domain master = no
    wins support = no
    dead time = 0
    debug level = 0
    comment = Files
    allow hosts = .unseenalchmey.co.uk
    deny hosts = .electronet.org
    add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -s /bin/false -g popusers -c "smb
account %u" %u

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    public = yes
    only user = no
    allow hosts = .unseenalchemy.co.uk

[dosfiles]
    comment = Dos Files
    path = /sda4/dos
    read only = no
    locking = yes

[wtc]
    comment = WTC Website
    path = /home/pages/htdocs/wtc
    read only = no
    locking = yes
    browseable = yes
    public = no
    guest only = no
    writable = yes
    allow hosts = .unseenalchemy.co.uk
    only user = no

[suspira]
    comment = Suspira Website
    path = /home/pages/htdocs/suspira
    read only = no
    locking = yes

[secure]
    comment = Secure Files
    path = /sde2/secure
    read only = no
    locking = yes

[arc2]
    comment = Archive Two
    path = /sdf2
    read only = yes
    locking = yes

[arc4]
    comment = Archive Four
    path = /sdf4
    readonly = yes
    locking = yes

[cdroms]
    comment = WTC CDRom's
    path = /sdg1
    readonly = no
    locking = yes

> Thats exactly what i am trying to accomplish at home. Its really a big pain
> in the a$$. I have RHL 7.0 and I am trying to configure SAMBA to get working
> with my Win98 mach. So far NO luck. anybody got lucky ?

> --
> gok

> "Smile; it makes people wonder what you are thinking."
>   - anonymous

> > Hi if this is a double post, please forgive me... dejanews gave me an
> > error anyway,

> > I'm new at linux.. heck thats an understatement. Well, anyway, i was
> > wondering if i could get some help setting up a local area network.

> > We have DSL coming in to a co-op house at university, and i am in charge
> > of setting up a server in order to enable all 20 members of the house to
> > use their ethernet cards to get online.

> > All i have right now is the hardware. I was wondering if someone could
> > point me to a HOWTO or something that would explain the process in
> > depth, or perhaps give me some detailed instructions. Preferably, it
> > would use the least amount of software possible. Since im not too
> > familiar with linux, well, i think you get the picture.

> > Thanks for any time you give.

> > Cheers,
> > Dave

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

               Unseen Alchemy
     Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
(+44) 0709 202 4967 - www.unseenalchemy.co.uk

  sysop.vcf
< 1K Download

setting up a LAN (double post? sorry)

Post by BENOI » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:26:49

To spider. Hi, good luke for your LAN. There is many books for LAN, TCP/IP
etc.... I've goot some Howto for linux but ther're all in french because i'm
french but you've goot some books like:
the linus system administrator guide of Mr O..,KIRCH ( it's a book for
administrotor of lan under linux: TCP/IP, UUCP, SLIP etc...)
D COMER: Internetworking with TCP/IP (  principles, protocols and
architecture )
C HUNT: network administration . O'reilly and associates 1998 ( TCP/IP and
LAN) AND......................... This is only few exemples, i've goot 2
books on linux from O'reilly associates: 1 on linux and 1 on lan and tcp/ip
So good luke and  possible read you ? .

Post by xeon_.. » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:07:17

Go check http://www.clarkconnect.org/

> Thats exactly what i am trying to accomplish at home. Its really a
big pain
> in the a$$. I have RHL 7.0 and I am trying to configure SAMBA to get
working
> with my Win98 mach. So far NO luck. anybody got lucky ?

> --
> gok

> "Smile; it makes people wonder what you are thinking."
>   - anonymous

Quote:> > Hi if this is a double post, please forgive me... dejanews gave me
an
> > error anyway,

> > I'm new at linux.. heck thats an understatement. Well, anyway, i was
> > wondering if i could get some help setting up a local area network.

> > We have DSL coming in to a co-op house at university, and i am in
charge
> > of setting up a server in order to enable all 20 members of the
house to
> > use their ethernet cards to get online.

> > All i have right now is the hardware. I was wondering if someone
could
> > point me to a HOWTO or something that would explain the process in
> > depth, or perhaps give me some detailed instructions. Preferably, it
> > would use the least amount of software possible. Since im not too
> > familiar with linux, well, i think you get the picture.

> > Thanks for any time you give.

> > Cheers,
> > Dave

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. vi replace second matching pattern in every line - Help Please sorry for double posting

Greetings,

Can some body help  me to replace the second match of a string in every

line in vi
unix, AIX 5L

Sorry for posting under a different topic.  For some reason its going
under a different topic,  I apologize for this.

Moving a bunch of files from one dir to other

mv /u01/oradata/XXXX/file1  /u01/oradata/XXXX/file1
mv /u01/oradata/XXXX/file2  /u01/oradata/XXXX/file2
mv /u02/oradata/XXXXX/file1a /u02/oradata/XXXXX/file1a
mv /u09/oradata/XXXX/file2a /u09/oradata/XXXX/file2a

I want to replace the 2nd XXXX to YYYYY

Regards & Thanks
BN

2. ADVERT: Caesarion 6

3. Help with Laserjet 4l and aps (sorry for the double post)

4. OpenLook; glyph font

5. sorry for the double post but i still need help

6. OpenBSD 2.9 crashers and freezes

7. FTape 2.06 (sorry for double post)

8. Older sendmail bugs ?

9. Double posting - Sorry

10. hosts.allow (sorry if this is a double post)

11. sorry about double post

12. sorry for the double post earlier

13. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!