Networking Problems !

Post by Michael Mikuland » Thu, 13 May 1993 05:41:08

Yesterday i reconfigure my two PCs with two SMC WD8013EB Ethernet Cards to
run a small Linux network.

The settings are identical for both cards :
   I/O 300, IRQ 10, RAM BASE 0x0cc000

At boot time the kernel recognize the card properly.
config, portmap and inetd run with no errors
(one PC has IP 192.0.2.128 and the other 192.0.2.129)

But after login i am not able to start telnet.
 > telnet 129.0.2.128     (at PC IP 192.0.2.129)
 Trying 129.0.2.138
 eth0: transmit timed out, TX status 0x48, ISR 0x0
 eth0: Possible network cable problems ?

With ping 129.0.2.128 the same message appears !

Are there any IRQ or I/O conflicts ( MSD and CheckIt reports NO !)

Could anybody help me to run my personal Linux network ?

Bye,   Michael

                                  What a wonderful feeling to run Linux .

Networking Problems !

:
: The settings are identical for both cards :
:    I/O 300, IRQ 10, RAM BASE 0x0cc000
:
: At boot time the kernel recognize the card properly.
: config, portmap and inetd run with no errors

Do you have the drivers autoprobing the cards?

+(44) 21 359 6531 x4039 (Office)             |

1. Network problems with 3c595 on 100T network (detailed)

Hi,
        I have a networking problem which I have not managed to solve after
reading the relevant HOTWO files. Any help will be appreciated.

Setup:
  Intel Pentium Pro with 3Com 595 100Tx card connected to 100T network.

  The machine has WIN/NT installed and manages to access the network.

Software:
  - I have installed Slackware 3.1 (from InfoMagic CDROM)
  - run "netconfig" with appropriate parameters (double checked)

Symptoms:

  - Kernel recognizes right device
  - No error messages at boot time

  - ifconfig shows the device setup, but shows 0 on all TX and RX counts,
    including errors counts.
  - same for /proc/net/dev

  - routing table seems ok (as far as I understand these things)

Yet, I can't run a single network application.

ping to my gateway just hang. When I press ^c, it reports "NN packets sent, 100% packet loss".

I tried to ping the machine from another machine, and again no
communications.

The interesting thing is that "ifconfig" keeps insisting that nothing was sent
 nor transmitted.

The only thing that I can think of is that the device parameters are not set
right. In particular "ifconfig" reports:

eth0  Link encap: 10MBps Ethernet ...

when the net should 100MBps.

Can this be the problem? If so, how do I set the right mode for the device?

Thanks,

-Nir

2. Panic on NCR 53C875 SCSI on Beige G3

3. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

4. quake on bsd

5. Curious Networking problem: Installed via FTP but now the Network won't start.

6. Rack Mount ISDN

7. Network problem, can't ping other machines on same network

8. LICQ Minimize to system tray?

9. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

10. network problem - local network setup

11. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

12. Strange network problem (network suddenly stops working) - partial solution

13. Networking problem in Linux, but no problem in Windows on same hardware