Emacs won't start without X

Post by R.X. Gett » Wed, 14 Jul 1993 02:00:11

When I'm logged in as root and I don't have X running, Emacs won't start.
It complains about not being able to find the DISPLAY variable. When X
is running, or I'm logged in as a user, I don't have a problem.

I'm running kernel .99pl10 with the 4.4.1 libraries and Emacs 19.16.
I got Emacs from prep, and the only patches I applied were the fix for the
CTOR problem and removing -lipc from linking. (I left the ipc code in since
the kernel and library now support it.) Any help will be greatly appreciated.

advTHANKSance,

Rob

1. emacs won't start

hmmm....

Here's a good one. I just compiled a  new kernel (2.1.132) and everything
appears work work with the exception of emacs. When I start it from the
command line, it just sits there, no response from any key combo except
Ctrl+Alt+Del. I tried it in X and it wouldn't start there either, I went
on to do something else and about 15 minutes later, up pops the emacs
window.

Emacs runs fine if I start my other kernel 2.0.35

Any suggestions?

BTW, The only other thing that I can think of that I changed along with
the kernel recompile is I added a line to lilo.conf that says VGA=791

Thanks
Lyle

2. uniattack on sadmind vulnerability negates networking

3. emacs won't start in background

4. linux network programming

5. Start emacs, return to script on emacs' close

6. locale problem under Solaris 2.1

7. Apache 1.3.19 won't start after reboot without recompile

8. Solaris 8 bash regexp bug

9. "screen" won't start without pty

10. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

11. Stripped EMACS' 19.28 next-error won't work on SCO

12. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

13. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!