Noob asks - which distro?

Post by One Punch Micke » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:32:35

Right, years and years experience in Windows, last *nix-like experience was
VMS in the late 80's.

So - which Linux distro is most noob-proof to install and should I use KDE
or Gnome (or can you choose which to use on the fly?)

TIA

--
* -
* - We get these rules to follow ... that and this, these and those ...

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Clive Dov » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:05:39

> Right, years and years experience in Windows, last *nix-like
> experience was VMS in the late 80's.

> So - which Linux distro is most noob-proof to install and should I use
> KDE or Gnome (or can you choose which to use on the fly?)

> TIA

Definitel use one of the most popular distros such as Mandrake, RedHat
or SUSE because you will have a larger population of experienced users
from which to seek advice.

Of the above, my preference for a new user is Mandrake. It is the
easiest to install. Mandrake has done a good job of making the install
process an easy one for those migrating from windows. It detects an
existing windows system and sets up a dual boot system by default.

If you choose the default install, select all the workstation options
and leave selected the KDE and Gnome options, you will get a
straightforward install of a syestem with a large selection of
applications.  You can choose which graphical interface will come up by
default and on each boot thereafter you will be able to select either
of them.  There is a third option in the Mandrake installer which will
also install some smaller and less well known desktops.
My suggestion is that you install both KDE and Gnome and possibly the
other option as well and then you can play with them until you settle
on which one you prefer.

Welcom back.

The present general release of Mandrake is 9.0 but 9.1 has just been
locked in for release.  Upgrading Mandrake from 9.0 to 9.1 is a
straightforware overlay.

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by AZdryHea » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:38:39

I am a nooby also and KDE is much easier to navigate and
understand.
Gnome seems like it was designed by some of those bizarre
minds that also designed the Mac.

com...

> > Right, years and years experience in Windows, last
*nix-like
> > experience was VMS in the late 80's.

> > So - which Linux distro is most noob-proof to install
and should I use
> > KDE or Gnome (or can you choose which to use on the
fly?)

> > TIA

> Definitel use one of the most popular distros such as
Mandrake, RedHat
> or SUSE because you will have a larger population of
experienced users
> from which to seek advice.

> Of the above, my preference for a new user is Mandrake. It
is the
> easiest to install. Mandrake has done a good job of making
the install
> process an easy one for those migrating from windows. It
detects an
> existing windows system and sets up a dual boot system by
default.

> If you choose the default install, select all the
workstation options
> and leave selected the KDE and Gnome options, you will get
> straightforward install of a syestem with a large
selection of
> applications.  You can choose which graphical interface
will come up by
> default and on each boot thereafter you will be able to
select either
> of them.  There is a third option in the Mandrake

installer which will

Quote:> also install some smaller and less well known desktops.
> My suggestion is that you install both KDE and Gnome and
possibly the
> other option as well and then you can play with them until
you settle
> on which one you prefer.

> Welcom back.

> The present general release of Mandrake is 9.0 but 9.1 has
just been
> locked in for release.  Upgrading Mandrake from 9.0 to 9.1
is a
> straightforware overlay.

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Peter Karlsso » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:54:44

Quote:> Right, years and years experience in Windows, last *nix-like experience was
> VMS in the late 80's.

> So - which Linux distro is most noob-proof to install and should I use KDE
> or Gnome (or can you choose which to use on the fly?)

http://www.gentoo.org/

Quote:> TIA

HTH, HAND,
Peter
--
begin  signature.txt
My email address is munged. Drop YOUR PANTS...

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Google Mi » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:49:33

I'm fairly new too, but a highly technical guy who had dabbled in
Solaris and was an expert in Windows 2000 programming before Linux
became my new toy at home and office. Here's my take...

I wouldn't try anything else but Red Hat. They have cornered the
market in my opinion because they have these packages (RPMs), you see?
They make installation of new stuff painless. No messing with sticky
tar files and then running scripts. No need to download compilers,
libraries, and compiling. And moreover, I noticed that KDE menus get
updated by these RPMs depending on what you install, and I haven't
seen a Bash script inside a Tar file do that before.

The only drawback to RPMs are that they're not an open standard, at
least I don't think.

At first I liked GNOME (the default on RH) until I realized that KDE
was faster and had more tools to manage things. Plus, KOffice is far
more superior, in my opinion, than Open Office -- the fonts look
better and it loads 100x faster.

It's sad that RH has a heavy investment in GNOME. They should bail on
that and join the KDE team. GNOME is just too slow and powerless, and
KOffice is just too plain cool.

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Rob Roger » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:28:14

>> Right, years and years experience in Windows, last *nix-like experience was
>> VMS in the late 80's.

>> So - which Linux distro is most noob-proof to install and should I use KDE
>> or Gnome (or can you choose which to use on the fly?)

> http://www.gentoo.org/

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. Gentoo (and other source based
distributions in general) are not exactly what I would call "noob-proof".
If you're looking for a newbie distro, I'd have to suggest Mandrake or
maybe Red Hat. The OP was specifically asking which distro was "most
noob-proof to install" and while Gentoo may be a great distro for an
experienced Linux user, the install leaves a lot to be desired for a newbie.

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Clive Dov » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:19:17

> I'm fairly new too, but a highly technical guy who had dabbled in
> Solaris and was an expert in Windows 2000 programming before Linux
> became my new toy at home and office. Here's my take...

> I wouldn't try anything else but Red Hat. They have cornered the
> market in my opinion because they have these packages (RPMs), you see?
> They make installation of new stuff painless. No messing with sticky
> tar files and then running scripts. No need to download compilers,
> libraries, and compiling. And moreover, I noticed that KDE menus get
> updated by these RPMs depending on what you install, and I haven't
> seen a Bash script inside a Tar file do that before.

> The only drawback to RPMs are that they're not an open standard, at
> least I don't think.

> At first I liked GNOME (the default on RH) until I realized that KDE
> was faster and had more tools to manage things. Plus, KOffice is far
> more superior, in my opinion, than Open Office -- the fonts look
> better and it loads 100x faster.

> It's sad that RH has a heavy investment in GNOME. They should bail on
> that and join the KDE team. GNOME is just too slow and powerless, and
> KOffice is just too plain cool.

What you are saying is a very good argument for using Mandrake.

It too is rpm based, which has become standardized and used as the
underlying installation and upgrade base on various distributions.
Mandrake has a current version of rpm and gui front end for rpm which
handle locating and installing dependencies along with the application
needing the dependency.
Mandrake, IMO, has all the advantages of RedHat and has as good a
spectrum of applications packaged with it but is easier for a newbie to
install and maintain.
As to the choice between Gnome and KDE, I agree with your assessment and
I use KDE and have set it as my default but Gnome is also aboard my
machines as well (Mandrake installs both by default unless you deselect
one of them) so that anyone in my family can have the choice of using
his or her favourite in his or her own user area.

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Google Mi » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:24:47

> What you are saying is a very good argument for using Mandrake.

There are a few reasons why I avoid Mandrake, although I have an older
copy that I liked at least for a little while before I got RH8:

1. Mandrake is having financial problems. I would think it would be
prudent for RedHat, in their current run of luck, to purchase Mandrake
and absorb its talented resources into their company.

2. I won't get laughed out of a boardroom for recommending a RedHat
solution, especially since my employer is an IBM shop and they have a
huge investment in RH. Can't say the same thing with Mandrake, which
many people haven't heard of except Linux people. RH has more name
recognition and status, and they have huge name companies as their
investors.

3. RH has anaconda and kudzu to recognize new hardware, and is
especially tuned for high-end Dell and IBM hardware, I have found.
Haven't tried the same stuff on Mandrake. For instance, can one get
Mandrake to install on a Dell 1U rackmount PowerEdge 1650 with 2
processors and with 3 SCSI hard drives on a special Dell RAID SCSI
controller in a RAID pattern up to 56GB with 1GB of RAM? I doubt it.
RH8, however, installed perfectly on this once I had the RAID
partitioning set up correctly.

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by nobodadd » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:32:03

<snip>

Quote:> 3. RH has anaconda and kudzu to recognize new hardware, and is
> especially tuned for high-end Dell and IBM hardware, I have found.

<snip>

I'm down on all RPM-based distros, but I've gotta differ here.  Mandrake's
hw recognition is superior in my experience.  And it seems to be the
friendliest towards newbies overall.

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Tim Ottinge » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:15:55

> I wouldn't try anything else but Red Hat. They have cornered the
> market in my opinion because they have these packages (RPMs), you see?
> They make installation of new stuff painless. No messing with sticky
> tar files and then running scripts. No need to download compilers,
> libraries, and compiling. And moreover, I noticed that KDE menus get
> updated by these RPMs depending on what you install, and I haven't
> seen a Bash script inside a Tar file do that before.

> The only drawback to RPMs are that they're not an open standard, at
> least I don't think.

The management tools stink, IMHO.

Maybe I'm using the wrong tool (rpm) but I'm always caught up
in dependency hell. I'd rather have something a bit smarter.
Or maybe I'm just using it wrongly?

I think that Debian's system  (APT) is the most goober-proof
get/install system I've used. RPM is not at all my favorite.
That being said, I run a few RH machines. One of them is going
to Debian sometime next month.

Quote:

> At first I liked GNOME (the default on RH) until I realized that KDE
> was faster and had more tools to manage things. Plus, KOffice is far
> more superior, in my opinion, than Open Office -- the fonts look
> better and it loads 100x faster.

It seems to me that Gnome runs on smaller machines than KDE. Has
this reversed? I work with old hardware, so "faster" usually means
"smaller" because RAM is scarse. "Slower" usually means "swaps more".

I think KDE is "nicer" but Gnome is what I tend to use on all my
pathetic, old machines.

--
+---------------------------+--------------------------+
| Tim Ottinger              | OpenOffice Mozilla Samba |

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Tim Ottinge » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:18:15

Have you tried SuSE's boxed version? It's quite nice.
The RedHat installer works pretty good these days, if
you know what to install.

I like anything Debian based, and Knoppix is really doing
an amazing job these days. Why not try downloading the
knoppix CD image, and run it for a little while? It will
run from the CD and access non-NTFS files systems so you
can check it out. It runs KDE straight out of the box.

If you like it, you can install it permanently.

--
+---------------------------+--------------------------+
| Tim Ottinger              | OpenOffice Mozilla Samba |
| Indianapolis, IN USA      | Python, C++, Whatever    |
| I promote Free Software   | Linux! (MS if I have to) |
|---------------------------+--------------------------|
|      OO Architecture, Design, Teacher/Mentor         |

Noob asks - which distro?

Post by Hans Forbric » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:03:07

IMHO, the latest distros are all fairly reasonable.

I get the feeling that RedHat is moving away from the 'consumer' base and really
concentrating on the Enterprise space.  I might be misreading, or reading too
much between the lines, but that's the feeling I get based on the recent
annoucements.

I've used RH, SuSE and Mandrake.  The install experience and the hardware
recognition was roughly equivalent on all, and I think they are all OK for a noob
who is willing to read & learn.  I personally like SuSE, primarily because the
distro includes some of the extras I use.

Keeping up to date after install .... manual or RPM (RPM is used by others beside
RedHat)?????  RPM tries to minimize the book keeping and ensure that you can not
shot yourself in the foot by maintaining a database of 'what, where, why, how'
and so on. IMHO, it's great for noobs and for production environments.  For
people who like to stretch their wings, push the edge, be non-conformist or just
'check it out', RPM will likely be confining.  Just remember, this ain't a
religious battle.  Start one place and move as you grow.