NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Swee Che » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 01:36:00

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Lawrence Foa » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 15:41:39

Quote:

>Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

Because every OS looks good by comparison :-)
--
------  Forgive me for I have eaten of beans and believed in irrational  .
\    /  numbers.                                                        . .

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Gregory Ow » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 00:44:03

Quote:> Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

        Because the people selling NT think they're going to be better
than every other operating system 8).

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Brian Ullma » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 01:13:46

>>Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

>Because every OS looks good by comparison :-)
>--

Did you mean to say that every other OS EXISTS by comparison? 8{)

--
Brian A. Ullmark - Staff Engineer    Phone: (510) 623-5090
Amdahl Corporation - Open Systems      FAX: (510) 770-0493

Fremont, CA  94538              CompuServe: 70023,1477

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by David Herro » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 02:36:22

Quote:> Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

NT is the Jurassic Park of Operating Systems.

For JP, Paramount (?) spent mucho biggo bucks in promoting the damn
thing so everybody and their brother is now salivating over it and
so forth.  News programs are treating it as if it were Serious Stuff.
etc etc.  It's all because of marketing & advertising.

NT is the same.  People are thinking about it and talking about it
and everything simply because Microsoft is spending so much on
marketing and advertising.

And this analogy has run out of steam sooo ...

If only the Unix people had a combined marketing arm ...?

<-
<- All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
<-               Proverbs 14:23

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by i.. » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 22:55:02

>> Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

>    Because the people selling NT think they're going to be better
> than every other operating system 8).

Funny, I was starting to get the impression that the people selling
NT think they _are_ every other operating system... :-) :-)

Roger Ivie

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Sven Kueh » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 22:01:35

NT is a big hype !  It's unstable, expensive, fat, and from Microsoft ...

If anyone wants a commercial replacement for DOS, get OS/2 2.1 - it's far
better. But if you wanna have the real thing,

                                      GET LINUX

Ok, it's still in developement, but it's free and it has a immediate support,
if you're stuck somewhere ! But don't fall for people you wanna sell it to
you ! There are lots of companies and single persons who want to make
profit from other people's work ...

Sven

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Scott Ba » Sun, 18 Jul 1993 12:07:05

: > Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

: NT is the Jurassic Park of Operating Systems.

: For JP, Paramount (?) spent mucho biggo bucks in promoting the damn
: thing so everybody and their brother is now salivating over it and
: so forth.  News programs are treating it as if it were Serious Stuff.
: etc etc.  It's all because of marketing & advertising.

At least JP was entertaining...  I'm beginning to subscribe to the
"NT is just a stall until [Intel develops a real CPU/Windows 4.0]"
school of thought.  Having seen Wabi running yesterday, though, I'd
say that NT won't be a very effective stall.

Speaking of _Jurrassic Park_ and NT, did anyone else notice what
the young girl muttered at the end of the "I know this, this is a
UNIX system...[mutter-mutter]" line?  A co-worker listened *real*
close and he claims that the rest of the line is, "... not that
wimpy NT."  I haven't had anyone else confirm this, but I think
that it's hilarious.  I believe that Silicon Graphics had quite a
bit to do with the production of the movie, and I can just imagine
some Unix jockey prompting them to slip that little dig into the
dialog.  Too bad there wasn't a Linux hacker around to suggest
another slight edit...

--
   Lockheed Sanders may disagree so these are solely the opinions of:

              "We didn't inherit the Earth from our parents,
                   we are borrowing it from our children."

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Lee E. Brotzm » Sun, 18 Jul 1993 13:04:01

>Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

All of the other smug replies aside...

Windows currently claims an installed base of approximately 10,000,000 --
that's millions folks -- and Microsoft convervatively plans on NT taking about
10% of that base, i.e. 1,000,000 machines.  By any account that is a shitload
of machines. More than the entire installed base of all Unix machines together.

        Brotzman's definition of "shitload":  any amount larger
        than any one person wants to deal with.

We can make all the cute remarks about "MS-DOG" and "Windoze" we like, and
guess what, thousands of businesses are still going to generate billions of
dollars of revenues using applications based on DOS and Windows.  Why?  Because
it is cost-effective and easy.

Personally, I love Linux, otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money on an
additional 200-Megabyte hard drive just for Linux.  But I haven't wiped my
MS-DOG disk because I like to be able to crank up Windows and Microsoft Word to
do simple word-processing tasks for my consulting business.  I could do the
work in twice the time in LaTeX, but why bother?  My customers expect
performance, not a product done "right" in twice the time (by the way, I
consider myself an expert in LaTeX, having written several style files and
Megabytes of documents in LaTeX; MS Word is just easier for simple tasks).

We of the academic world must come to grips with the simple fact that it is the
business world that really drives computer technology.  Unix vendors can make
a buck from government and university systems, but until they have the
installed application base that a business needs, they are going to continue
being intimidated by Microsoft with their enormous market share.

-- Hughes STX                         DECNET:    NDADSA::BROTZMAN

--

Post by Ajay Sh » Sun, 18 Jul 1993 15:06:36

>>Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?
>All of the other smug replies aside...
>10% of that base, i.e. 1,000,000 machines.  By any account that is a shitload
>of machines. More than the entire installed base of all Unix machines together.

Untrue.  The Unix installed base is well past 4-5 million machines.
Not to mention that most Unix machines have > 1 user.

Sun alone has a installed base of nearly 1 million SPARC boxes (not
counting Solaris for Intel here).

The ability of Windows NT to hoard up installed base is by no means
proven.  Remember the last time Mr. Gates talked about "the most
important program ever written?".  The trade rags howled about it.
Everyone talked about it.  Nobody bought.

Quote:>business world that really drives computer technology.  Unix vendors can make
>a buck from government and university systems, but until they have the
>installed application base that a business needs, they are going to continue
>being intimidated by Microsoft with their enormous market share.

Microsoft has market share in tiny machines.  That does not make
up the entire computer industry.  E.g. when IBM used to have sales
of 60 billion, only 2 billion used to come from the PC world.

The PC world gets media attention, that does not make it the only
game in the computer industry.  The Unix industry is very firmly
entrenched as the inheritor of the mainframe shakedown.  Even if
Windows NT is great at beating off OS/2 and Unix and the Mac on
the PC mindset, it will still leave the Unix industry holding around
$50 billion of sales a year right now.

        -ans.
--

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Lupe Christo » Mon, 19 Jul 1993 20:34:13

>NT is a big hype !  It's unstable, expensive, fat, and from Microsoft ...
>If anyone wants a commercial replacement for DOS, get OS/2 2.1 - it's far
>better. But if you wanna have the real thing,

>                                      GET LINUX

It's a sad time for IBM when people think Micros*t is a bigger threat than
them these days. *I*nternational *B*iscuit *M*akers, isn't it now?
--

| ...!unido!ukw!lupe        (company, German EUNet)  | This is an unofficial  |
| suninfo!alanya!lupe       (via Sun Germany)        | opinion of Christoph & |

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Post by Matthew Roderic » Tue, 20 Jul 1993 17:21:49

Quote:>Among (many) other things, he's doing quite a bit of the work on the MS-
>Windows compatibility interface (Linux version of Wabi).  And if he weren't

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with c.o.l lately (To big !!), anyway hows
this Linux Wabi getting on ? I remeber talk of it being far to hard due
to * MicroSoft design (or lack of public documents anyway) !

Cheers

Matt.

--
Matthew Roderick                                                Read & Enjoy.
B2 Developments                                       +44 [0]782 771000 x3241

1. NT Network can see Linux but linux no see NT

I have my Linux notebook configured to use either fixed IP or to work as
a dhcp Client when I am at one of my customers.  At home on the fixed IP
- my Win95 PC's can see my linux notebook and my linux notebook can see
my Win95 PC's.  At my client site I am getting an IP address from an NT
dhcp server and the WinNT workstations can see my linux notebook and the
directories I have set up for share.  I am using xsmbrowser on the linux
machine and have tried some command lines as well.  The Linux machine can
see a list of the two workgroups on the NT network and all the computers
that are in its same workgroup but if I try to access a particular
machine it tells me it could not be found ie:

#nmblookup -R -U 128.60.128.1 FPC_ATL_DEV_04
querying FPC_ATL_DEV_04 on 128.60.128.1
name_query failed to find name FPC_ATL_DEV_04

I can ping the workstation by its IP address and also ping the Wins
server and we are reportedly set up to use either plain passwords or
encrypted passwords.  I am using Samba 2.0.6 and RH6.0 2.2.5.  Anyone
have any ideas or can point me in the right direction where to look.

Brian

2. C20 won't reconize Baracuda drive

3. Linux breaks NT's "Security" was Re: Warp NT and PC Mag ...

4. 2.5.3-pre2: drivers/ieee1394/video1394.c

5. Linux - NT ppp using analogue line (null modem driver on nt)

6. simple mailing question

7. pptp - obsd2.9 to nt domain, come in nt domain, over

8. pop3 problem

9. I'm Trashing NT - DO NOT BUY NT

10. NT integration - rdist client for Windows NT?

11. Linux - NT ppp using analogue line (null modem driver on nt)

12. NT/Linux -> NT Screws my HD

13. HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...