best distribution????

Post by ma » Mon, 20 May 2002 08:07:07

I realise I am unlikely to be the first person to ask this. I'm
looking to build a pc an run linux as the OS.  If all goes well I'm
planning to use it only for running basic office programs and my own
FORTRAN programs.  Subsequently, for a laugh, I thought I might set up
a (small) cluster using cheap components.  Which is the best
distribution?  Its going to be one of the major commercial versions,
but which one out of RedHat, SuSE, Madrake etc is most suitable?

Cheers

best distribution????

Post by Bit Twist » Mon, 20 May 2002 08:13:09

Quote:> I realise I am unlikely to be the first person to ask this. I'm
> looking to build a pc an run linux as the OS.  If all goes well I'm
> planning to use it only for running basic office programs and my own
> FORTRAN programs.  Subsequently, for a laugh, I thought I might set up
> a (small) cluster using cheap components.  Which is the best
> distribution?  Its going to be one of the major commercial versions,
> but which one out of RedHat, SuSE, Madrake etc is most suitable?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=best+linux+distribution

Try them all.

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
contains linux x86 Install cds for ~$2 each and up + shipping

Redhat 7.x x86 install and doc cd (~$4)
Linux Mandrake 8.x  (GPL Version) (~$6)

For people accross the pond,
        http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
        http://www.linux123.co.uk/

and for the down under fokes
        http://www.cetustech.com.au/

Mandrake is based on Redhat, has more utilities, a much
better user friendly installer.

Pick custom/expert install if you do not want to wipe
your disk. Load cd and read the docs with your browser.

Install docs are on the Mandrake cd and readable via Micro$not.

For hardware compatibility
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html
http://lhd.datapower.com

I get several people at work to go in on my credit card
and I get my shipping reduced to  $1 a cd when we split
shipping.

best distribution????

Post by Bob Triege » Mon, 20 May 2002 08:24:50

> I realise I am unlikely to be the first person to ask this. I'm
> looking to build a pc an run linux as the OS.  If all goes well I'm
> planning to use it only for running basic office programs and my own
> FORTRAN programs.  Subsequently, for a laugh, I thought I might set up
> a (small) cluster using cheap components.  Which is the best
> distribution?  Its going to be one of the major commercial versions,
> but which one out of RedHat, SuSE, Madrake etc is most suitable?

> Cheers

  I bought a cheap computer on UBID and had problems booting and installing
Red Hat 7.2. I then tried Debian Potato and Slackware 8.0. Both of them
booted immediately and installed extremely easily.  I have a single board
computer and it was a little easier getting Slackware configured for the
video and NIC cards and compiling a new kernel.

  If you are rich and can afford the $43 (including S&H) or so for the 4CD
Slackware 8.0 set.  I'd recommend that.  Debian is only $14 but they are
about to release their next version.

  Keep in mind that I have about 2 weeks experience here, so only take my
word for what it is worth.

best distribution????

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 20 May 2002 21:54:01

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I realise I am unlikely to be the first person to ask this. I'm
> looking to build a pc an run linux as the OS.  If all goes well I'm
> planning to use it only for running basic office programs and my own
> FORTRAN programs.  Subsequently, for a laugh, I thought I might set up
> a (small) cluster using cheap components.  Which is the best
> distribution?  Its going to be one of the major commercial versions,
> but which one out of RedHat, SuSE, Madrake etc is most suitable?

There is no "best" distribution. What works well depends on what type
of work it'll be asked to do, the expertise of the users and
administrators, the hardware on which it'll be run, etc.. I have no
experience with clustering, so I can't address that part of the
question, but for the rest, check my Linux distributions Web page:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

best distribution????

Post by mjt » Tue, 21 May 2002 01:19:39

best distribution????

Post by drumsti » Tue, 21 May 2002 01:39:34

> I realise I am unlikely to be the first person to ask this. I'm looking
> to build a pc an run linux as the OS.  If all goes well I'm planning to
> use it only for running basic office programs and my own FORTRAN
> programs.  Subsequently, for a laugh, I thought I might set up a (small)
> cluster using cheap components.  Which is the best distribution?  Its
> going to be one of the major commercial versions, but which one out of
> RedHat, SuSE, Madrake etc is most suitable?

Best for what?  Each distro has its own strengths and weaknesses.

--
drumstik
www.ameriphreak.com

1. Best book? Best distribution?

I am looking for recommendations on the best "starter" Linux book, the
best comprehensive reference, and the best distribution.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.  Also, what is the most current stable kernel?  Is
there a reason why some distributions contain both 1.2.13 and 1.3.15?

| Gary's Wargaming Page: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~grobinso |
| Yes, Mac Netscape 2.01 crashed my hard disk the        |
| first time I ran it.  Beware.                          |

2. X on PREP box(Powerstack II)

3. Best distribution CDs?

4. SLIP==Working!

5. What's the best distribution?

6. xdiff / graphical merge utility?

7. best distribution

8. LDAP or NIS

9. Best Distribution???

10. best distribution

11. What is the best distribution of Linux for Oracle?

12. What is the best distribution?

13. What is the best distribution of Linux?