VC's & X (Different Question)

Post by Mark Morl » Thu, 20 May 1993 23:40:39

Finally I'm able to run X.  I had to trade my old ATI Wonder for a new
Trident, but at least it's working.  Very nice indeed.

I can switch out to other VC's ok, but when I switch back to the one where
X is running, I get the text screen with the X status messages.  Does
anyone know how to make the graphics screen come back?  As far as I can
tell, X is still running, as is openwin, etc.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Mark

VC's & X (Different Question)

Post by Erik Tro » Fri, 21 May 1993 02:39:05

|> I can switch out to other VC's ok, but when I switch back to the one where
|> X is running, I get the text screen with the X status messages.  Does
|> anyone know how to make the graphics screen come back?  As far as I can
|> tell, X is still running, as is openwin, etc.

The startx command actually runs X on the first VC it can find that isn't
being used by something else already. Try Alt-F7 if you installed from SLS.
It's on one of those VC's, just give 'em all a shot until you find it :-).

Erik

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into
the soul of the boy sitting next to me.      -- Woody Allen

VC's & X (Different Question)

Post by Dave Gav » Fri, 21 May 1993 03:09:21

>Finally I'm able to run X.  I had to trade my old ATI Wonder for a new
>Trident, but at least it's working.  Very nice indeed.

>I can switch out to other VC's ok, but when I switch back to the one where
>X is running, I get the text screen with the X status messages.  Does
>anyone know how to make the graphics screen come back?  As far as I can
>tell, X is still running, as is openwin, etc.

>Any pointers greatly appreciated.

>Mark

Mark,
  The text screen (VC) where you started openwin from will get all of your
start-up messages etc. The VC that X is running on will be one of the other
7. I don't run a getty (from /etc/inittab) on tty8, so that's where X always
shows up - I don't know if it starts at the highest or lowest VC#, but just
keep trying, you'll find it! CTL+ALT+F# will get you out of X, ALT+F# will
bounce you around the text VCs and one of them will actually be your X
session.

Good Luck - Dave
--
     /XX\          My opinions,        |David Gavin - Amdahl Corp. - Boston, MA

\\\///==\\\                            |     or  amdahl!juts!drg50
 \XX/    \\\1000                       |CIS: 73147,155      BIX: davegavin
(If must use INTEL - run LINUX !)

1. VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

Is it possible at boot time to tell the kernel to initialize VESA
frame buffer devices(s) to do different modes for different virtual
consoles ?

I would like, for example:

virtual consoles 1-5 to be 800x600 8-bit color depth
virtual console 6 to be 640x480 8-bit color depth

Thank you in advance for any replies and for reading.
Charles Wilkins

2. Driver for OAK VGA?

3. FIPS does not recognize free space

4. NCurses question: different terminals, different output, or "where'd the lines go?"... why?

5. Why does my system clock keep changing time?

6. (?) Why different 'colors' on different logins?

7. wireless connection between MacOS X and Gentoo Box running in hostap master mode

8. ATI GUP & switching VC's: big mess!

9. VC's & !scroll-back

10. Question about VC utilities: switchto & open

11. Different Explanation for the 'Routing Problem' Question.

12. cursor keys act funny in different VC?