in cdrtools 2.0, mkisofs 2.0 no longer has option -jext?

in cdrtools 2.0, mkisofs 2.0 no longer has option -jext?

Post by alpha.. » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:42:58

I just upgraded to mkisofs 2.0 because I wanted to see if it would make my mysterious file
corruption problem go away (using mkisofs 1.14 sometimes random files would have one byte
differences in the resulting iso image compared to original files).

Only to find that mkisofs 2.0 doesn't have the -jext option.  This option is vital for windows
usability of burned cds (if an mpg has no extension because the name was too long there's no easy
way to view it from explorer, etc, etc..).

I tried applying the jext patch for mkisofs 1.14 (http://www.veryComputer.com/) but many
hunks failed.  I think I fixed them all and I now have a seemly working mkisofs 2.0 with -jext, but
I don't know for sure if I didn't*something up yet..

Anyone else using -jext with mkisofs 2.0?  Anyone else come across the corrupt files in the mkisofs
image file problem?

in cdrtools 2.0, mkisofs 2.0 no longer has option -jext?

Post by Sybren Stuve » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 02:50:23

Quote:> Only to find that mkisofs 2.0 doesn't have the -jext option.  This
> option is vital for windows usability of burned cds (if an mpg has no
> extension because the name was too long there's no easy way to view it
> from explorer, etc, etc..).

That's because the '-jext' option doesn't exist any more. I don't know
what it used to do, but I do know that you have to add the '-J' option
to create a Joliet filesystem.

Sybren
--
If you have to use Outlook, fix it: http://jump.to/oe-quotefix/------------------------------------------...
| Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write, |

Post by alph » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:28:01

>> Only to find that mkisofs 2.0 doesn't have the -jext option.  This
>> option is vital for windows usability of burned cds (if an mpg has no
>> extension because the name was too long there's no easy way to view it
>> from explorer, etc, etc..).

> That's because the '-jext' option doesn't exist any more. I don't know
> what it used to do, but I do know that you have to add the '-J' option
> to create a Joliet filesystem.

> Sybren

The default mkisofs behavior when encountering a filename over 64
characters is to just chop off all the characters past 64.  This removes
the extension and pretty much renders the file unusable in a windows
environment (or a pain in the ass to use).  The -jext option would tack
the extension back on top of the truncated filename, making it fully
usable.

Using the new -joliet-long option would pretty  much take care of this
issue most of the time, but it breaks the joliet spec which makes me
rather wary of using it (I remember back in the day when EZCD creator (or
whatever it was called before that) had an option similar to this (they
called it Romeo instead of Joliet), it's long since gone now...)

Of course if you never burn files with long names it wouldn't be an issue
at all...

If only Microsoft hadn't made Joliet so shitty...

Anyway, patching with that -jext patch for 1.14 and then manually
patching the failed hunks seems to work great, so I'm happy, just annoyed
that it was taken out (would have been so much nicer to just apt-get
install mkisofs instead of finding it and finding the patch and making
the patch work..).

in cdrtools 2.0, mkisofs 2.0 no longer has option -jext?

Post by Sybren Stuve » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:03:40

alpha enlightened us with:

Quote:> The -jext option would tack the extension back on top of the truncated
> filename, making it fully usable.

Ah, nice. Would be really nice to have windoze identify a file by its
contents instead of by its extention, though ;-)

Quote:> If only Microsoft hadn't made Joliet so shitty...

Or their OSses...

Sybren
--
If you have to use Outlook, fix it: http://jump.to/oe-quotefix/------------------------------------------...
| Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write, |
| it should be hard to read.                                       |

1. MAE 2.0 and FDDI 2.0

I would like to run MAE 2.0 with Appletalk on some machines which only have
a FDDI 2.0 card and the bf drivers. There's no le0, only a bf0. MAE 2.0
starts up fine but complains that Appletalk cannot be started. Theres also a
message in the /var/adm/message file:

Mar 28 16:20:31 dblab1 unix: pat_online: interface name must be [leX], not [bf0]

This message comes from the Appletalk kernel driver.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Is there a FAQ for MAE 2.0 somewhere?

Thanks, Tom

--

                        ////
                       (. .)

| Phone: +41-1-632-7253                      Fax: +41-1-632-1172 |
| Institute for Informationsystems,  Database Group,  IFW C 48.1 |
| Haldeneggsteig 4,  ETH Zentrum,  CH - 8092 Zurich, Switzerland |

2. MS exchange servers

3. net-tools-1.2.0 under linux 2.0.x

4. Reading "hidden" files on iso9660 CDROM's

5. Netscape 2.0 breaks RedHat 2.0 Linux

6. first time using rpm's

7. Linux 2.0 or Linux 2.0 (glibc)?

8. HELP! converting a linux box to BSDI

9. Netscape 2.0 breaks RedHat 2.0 Linux

10. RedHat 3.0.3 upgrade to 2.0 kernel is 2.0.?

11. BCM 4210 - HomePNA 2.0 Driver for Linux (works with all HomePNA 2.0 cards)

12. linux-2.2.0 + broken scsi tape -> linux-2.2.0 crashes

13. To Linux 2.0 or Not to Linux 2.0??