Migrate Win98 client to Linux and keep NT Domain logon?

Migrate Win98 client to Linux and keep NT Domain logon?

Post by VlaD » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:42:06

Hi,

I'm trying to convince my boss that we can ditch Win98 on some older
machines in favour of RedHat 8.0. I need to be able to keep the login via
the NT domain controllers as we don't really wan't to maintain separate
user/password lists.

Can this be done, ie login via Linux but PW is checked against NT PDC? If
so, how? (In newbie speak please) :-)

thanks for listening

VlaD

Migrate Win98 client to Linux and keep NT Domain logon?

Post by E1 » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:50:29

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm trying to convince my boss that we can ditch Win98 on some older
> machines in favour of RedHat 8.0. I need to be able to keep the login
> via the NT domain controllers as we don't really wan't to maintain
> separate user/password lists.

> Can this be done, ie login via Linux but PW is checked against NT PDC?
> If so, how? (In newbie speak please) :-)

> thanks for listening

> VlaD

You'll probably want to review the sections on Samba-izing your network.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/
http://www.samba.org/

--

Failure is not an option...
       ...it comes bundled with all Micro$oft Products.

Common Sense Advice to Follow:

Post by Matt van de Werke » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:31:36

> Hi,

> I'm trying to convince my boss that we can ditch Win98 on some older
> machines in favour of RedHat 8.0. I need to be able to keep the login via
> the NT domain controllers as we don't really wan't to maintain separate
> user/password lists.

> Can this be done, ie login via Linux but PW is checked against NT PDC? If
> so, how? (In newbie speak please) :-)

You can authenticate RH7.3 using an NT PDC; you can even choose this during
install. I assume it's the same in RH8.

Cheers,
MvdW

1. Making linux client to get a web page on NT protected with NTLM logon?

Hi!
Generally, to look a page on some NT web server, it requires users to
logon that server.
Even though I have already get user id and password from ISP, I cannot
look a page on it, because I am on linux and I use netscape browser.
So I am trying to make a script program that does logon, reads a page
and saves it on my disk for me.
But I don't konw the mechanism of NT logon, NTLM.
Is there any example program?
Let me konw how to do it, please.
Thanks in advance.

2. troubles compiling PHP into Apache

3. Can't get Win98 clients to logon to Samba

4. WANTED! Solaris CD - for Sparc 2/5/10's

5. proxy program for win98/NT server + linux client

6. Using "query_module"

7. How do i get my samba To logon an NT domain ?

8. SCSI on Ultra5

9. Can a linux workstation be a client to Win98 or NT?

10. Logon to NT domain

11. pptp - obsd2.9 to nt domain, come in nt domain, over

12. Windows client can't see NT domain when passing through a Linux PPP server

13. SAMBA: case sensitive logon from NT-Client