tsx-11 FTP server broken??

Post by Joel M. Hoffm » Mon, 06 Apr 1992 04:03:11

I just to FTP some stuff from tsx-11 (three files relating to pmake),
and while they all appeared in the directory, when I tried to get them,
the server told me something like

        550 pmake.tar.Z:  no such file.

What's going on??

-Joel

tsx-11 FTP server broken??

Post by Joel M. Hoffm » Mon, 06 Apr 1992 04:37:12

More often than not, I'm unable to uncompress .Z files from the net.
(Yes, I donwload them in binary mode every time.)  I suspect this is a
case of the already-discussed problem with kermit corrupting files.

At any rate, the real problem is that when I uncompress a bad .Z file,
uncompress takes all available memory, and then some, and so kills the
system.  Other processes get killed, e.g.  The whole idea is that one
process getting screwed up isn't supposed to interfere with another.

Will this be fixed soon?

-Joel

tsx-11 FTP server broken??

Post by Karl R. Bu » Mon, 06 Apr 1992 08:29:43

Quote:>More often than not, I'm unable to uncompress .Z files from the net.
>(Yes, I donwload them in binary mode every time.)  I suspect this is a
>case of the already-discussed problem with kermit corrupting files.
>At any rate, the real problem is that when I uncompress a bad .Z file,
>uncompress takes all available memory, and then some, and so kills the
>system.  Other processes get killed, e.g.  The whole idea is that one
>process getting screwed up isn't supposed to interfere with another.
>Will this be fixed soon?

Hello Joel. I have been experiencing the same behavior with kermit.
After much heartache and many corrupt files I tried simply changing
how I was using kermit.

I don't know if this will fix your problems, but this has fixed
*downloads* for me.

Normally when I wanted to download a file or a batch of files I'd run
kermit on the other end and put it in server mode, escape back to the
local Linux system, and do a "get filename". This almost always (after
installing version 0.95) resulted in a corrupt file; that is the sizes
would not even match. Instead, now I just invoke kermit at the remote
system (make sure I set file type binary if needed), type "send
filename", escape back to the linux system, and do a "receive".

Since using this method I've had no trouble at all. Just in case, here
is my .kermrc:

set line /dev/modem
set speed 2400
set modem hayes
set file type binary
set send packet-length 900
set receive packet-length 900
set parity

BTW, those tired of your remote system moving the bottom line to the
middle of the screen in 50 line mode, take a look at where "tset"
(most likely in your .login for Sun and probably for most BSD systems)
and add a "-I" option (tset -I). This will stop it from initializing
the screen. Works for me.  :)

--

tsx-11 FTP server broken??

Post by Joel M. Hoffm » Mon, 06 Apr 1992 10:33:26

>>More often than not, I'm unable to uncompress .Z files from the net.
>>(Yes, I donwload them in binary mode every time.)  I suspect this is a
>>case of the already-discussed problem with kermit corrupting files.

>>At any rate, the real problem is that when I uncompress a bad .Z file,
>>uncompress takes all available memory, and then some, and so kills the
>>system.  Other processes get killed, e.g.  The whole idea is that one
>>process getting screwed up isn't supposed to interfere with another.

>>Will this be fixed soon?

>Hello Joel. I have been experiencing the same behavior with kermit.
>After much heartache and many corrupt files I tried simply changing
>how I was using kermit.

Many people have written with suggestion about how to improve kermit's
behavior.  I appreciate the feedback.  But I'm more concerned about
the behavior of Linux itself, which starts killing innocent processes
after a broken one uses up all available memory.

1. German FTP-Server ready/Mirroring tsx-11

I have set up ftp-server ftp.fgb.mw.tu-muenchen.de [129.187.200.1].
It mirrors /pub/linux on tsx-11.mit.edu (Thanks to Ted for his help).

There will soon be installed the ftpd from wuarchive.wustl.edu,
that allows downloading subdirectories by creating a tar-file on
the fly.

Enjoy it,

Thomas

2. Hi flatfish, how about not stealing software?

3. Prob with ftp;ing from tsx-11 ftp site.

4. two questions: video depth and netscape install

5. xcolorsel(was xpalette) uploaded to ftp.x.org, tsx-11 and sunsite

6. Source for S3 Virge server

7. FTP-site, mirroring tsx-11 in Germany?

8. Help : cdrom not a block device

9. where is 3.1.2F on tsx-11

10. Newest Slackware distribution - tsx-11 or sunsite ?

11. tsx-11 on CDROM?

12. /incoming dir in tsx-11

13. Linux labels are now available on tsx-11