NFS server crashes after error 13

Post by Reid G. Ormset » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

I have two DEC alphas that I have installed Linux on, one (alpha1) is a
AlphaServer 400 with RedHat 6.1, and the other (alpha2) is a AS1000A
that is running RedHat 6.2.  I am trying to nfs mount /home from alpha2
to alpha1, and for the most part, it works.  To do this I am using this
line in /etc/exports on alpha2:
/home        alpha*.domain.edu(rw)
and on alpha1 I am mounting it in /etc/fstab with the line:
alpha2:/home     /home       nfs    rsize=1024,wsize=1024,hard,intr 0 0
Mostly, this seems to be working, but whenever I log in on alpha1, I get
the following message on alpha2's console and in it's logs:
fh_verigy: //ormseth permission failure, acc=1, error=13
where ormseth is the user i'm logging in as.  Why do I get a permission
error for my own home directory? (note: if i touch /home/anotheruser I
get the same message about anotheruser's directory, but i don't get the
message if i touch my own directory.)

But this isn't my real problem, occasionally, when i log onto alpha1, I
get a message that it is trying to contact the nfs server, and in the
logs and on the console it says:
nfs: task 59717 can't get a request slot
It keeps repeating this message with sequentially increasing numbers.
Meanwhile, on alpha2, after seeing the permission failure on the
console, the system becomes unresponsive.  The console won't accept any
input and you can't ping the system.  After a reboot the machine will
work fine again.  The system and nfs loads are real light, just myself
right now while i set everything up.  At first we thought it might be a
hardware problem, the net card on alpha2 had seemed somewhat flakey in
the past, but after replacing that the server has crashed again, so it
can't be that.  What could be causing this problem?  How do i prevent it
from crashing, is it related to the permission errors?  Is there some
better config settings that i should use?

Thank You,

Reid G. Ormseth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NFS server crashes after error 13

Post by Robert Klo » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

I had a similar problem once, on x86 hardware though.
In addition to the symptoms you describe, the /var/log/messages would fill
with
"bus master arbitration error". I just installed a different card and
presto!

Bob