How do I get LOOPBACK working?

Post by Edwards, Ch » Fri, 25 Jun 1993 14:55:24

I installed net-2 and pl10. I compiled it with no problems. However, I can not
telnet to my own machine. Is it loopback? I notice it says it is never installed
upon boot up. I didn't seem to notice anyone else post a question like this.
(could have already been deleted) I assume I'm doing something dumb.
Chip
P.S. Where is the hell is the net-2 FAQ? (Is there one?)

uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt6444c

How do I get LOOPBACK working?

Post by Edwards, Ch » Sat, 26 Jun 1993 06:54:21

Quote:>I installed net-2 and pl10. I compiled it with no problems. However, I can not
>telnet to my own machine. Is it loopback? I notice it says it is never installed
>upon boot up. I didn't seem to notice anyone else post a question like this.
>(could have already been deleted) I assume I'm doing something dumb.
>Chip
>P.S. Where is the hell is the net-2 FAQ? (Is there one?)

I just figured out I asked a dumb question. :) I am ashamed.
I have things working fine now.
However, is there a recent net-2 FAQ?
Chip

uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt6444c

1. Linux loopback command--WinNT/Win95 /DOS equivalent?

Hi
I've got an unusual question for someone who knows both Linux and NT (or
Win95/DOS for that matter).  I downloaded an .iso9660 file (a cd image) of
Red Hat 6.0.  It is 540mb, and took me damn near forever on my 56k
connection.  I did'nt realise that it was a disk image though, and I don't
have a CD burner.  I was pretty much stuck until a fellow from one of the
Linux Usenet groups kindly told me how to use a "loopback" command to write
it to space on the hard drive and then use that as a kind of virtual disk to
burn a boot floppy and then do the install onto another section of the
drive. The problem is that he gave me the commands in Linux/Unix terms,
which I don't understand yet.  He said that there should be an equivalent
under NT as .iso9660 is a pretty common format.  The problem is: what are
they? Here is the Linux command line he gave me:

mount -t iso9660 -o loop hedwig-27apr1999.i386.iso9660 /mnt

or with the filename removed:

mount -t iso9660 -o loop <filename>/mnt

If anyone can tell me what the WinNT or Win95 equivalent of these commands
is I would be very appreciative.  Thanks for your time.
Chris Bates

2. Multiple SCSI Adapters

3. getting loopback networking running

4. Apache + jserv problem

5. Linux loopback command -- Win NT/Win95 /DOS equivalent?

6. msi k7t266Pro2ru fasstrak promise raid0 + rh7.2 driver

7. ipmasqadm portfw not getting loopback

8. Multiple monitors?

9. problem with ethernet loopback test using loopback plug/stub: receiving socket not seeing packet.

10. loopback != loopback.uwc.edu (?)

11. getting lilo to work with copy of working install on other partition

12. How to make pcmcia ethernet card that works with Linux work with dos? . .

13. problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.