System crash when restoring a backup

Post by Marten Verhoev » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:36:50

Hi all,

When I try to restore a backup (or read what is on the tape), my linux
computer completely freezes. Nothing works anymore, I have to use the
reset button to restart the computer. How can I find out if it is a
driver-bug, or a hardware problem?

System details:
SuSE Linux 7.2
2.4.9 kernel
onstream sc30 tapedrive
backup software: PerfectBackup

Regards,

Marten Verhoeven

1. root disc crashed, restore backup but NO OS from boot

Hi,

as the subject says..
from one of our systems the root disc crashed. but lucky us
we had a backup...
after placing the new disc (same size/different disc) I used
the boot+root discs to restore the backup to the new disc

the restore proces looked like this...
1. boot from floppy disc
2. fdisk+divvy the new disc
3. mount /dev/hd0root /mnt; cd /mnt
4. cpio -iudvm -I/dev/rStp0 -C10240
5. umount /mnt; fscky -y /dev/hd0root
6. dparam -w;
    dd if=/etc/hdboot0 of=/dev/hd0a;
    dd if=/etc/hdboot1 of=/dev/hd0a bs=1k seek=1

so normally everything worked again, and I could go home
but after trying to boot from hd we got a messages NO OS.
no problem, maybe we forgot to activate our unix partition.
nope it's allright..
so what going on here????

if I boot from disc and use hd from the boot prompt everything
seems ok.

new disc has different geometry (cyls=2063, hds=64, secs=32)
maybe that's the problem?

thanx in regards,

Robin

2. Laptop NIC problems

3. Need procedure to restore neworker backups from crash

4. SCSI Tape use

5. help. restoring a backup dump/restore

6. cdrecord: Trying to eliminate the gap between tracks

7. Restore data from DDS (((AKA further proof of backup/restore issues on linux

8. Help getting MA111 v2 with sis 162 chipset working under Linux?!

9. System crashed, restore failed, Help!

10. Is this how you backup and restore a system?

11. Best way to backup/restore Tru64 system?

12. Backup and Restore an entire system

13. Restoring system from tape backup (how ?)