Linux threads and system load average

Post by Swi » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 08:42:39

System load is typically defined as "The average number of processes
in the queue waiting for CPU time". Note that it says processes, not
threads. On a Solaris system, threads are masked within the process
and not reported individually in the run queue when system load is
computed, at least I believe this to be true. On Linux,  threads are
listed individually like other processes, each having their own pid
(unlike Solaris). My question is, will each Linux thread get reported
like other (non-thread) processes in the run queue when system load is
computed or will the combined thread utilization of the process get
reported as a single process in the run queue when system load is
computed?

What I'm really looking to answer is difference between Solaris
reporting load and when Linux reports it. If Solaris doesn't include
running threads as part of computing system load and Linux does, then
there is a difference in how you should interrupt what load means.

Thanks.

Post by Anthony Ventimigli » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:49:18

> System load is typically defined as "The average number of processes
> in the queue waiting for CPU time". Note that it says processes, not
> threads. On a Solaris system, threads are masked within the process
> and not reported individually in the run queue when system load is
> computed, at least I believe this to be true. On Linux,  threads are
> listed individually like other processes, each having their own pid
> (unlike Solaris). My question is, will each Linux thread get reported
> like other (non-thread) processes in the run queue when system load is
> computed or will the combined thread utilization of the process get
> reported as a single process in the run queue when system load is
> computed?

> What I'm really looking to answer is difference between Solaris
> reporting load and when Linux reports it. If Solaris doesn't include
> running threads as part of computing system load and Linux does, then
> there is a difference in how you should interrupt what load means.

Though I'm not too famiiliar with Solaris, I would assume that the
Parent process would reflect the load average of it's "child" threads.

1. System Load average: How much load average is good for?

Hi, All.

I am trying to get the information about the system load averages
through the commands - uptime,vmstat,sar -q, even more TOP utility.

But, I don't know how much system load average is good for ?

Please, e-mail me.

Thanks.

2. I keep getting kicked offline (cable modem)

3. average load average?

4. Open GL over a network

5. Load Average for System V?

6. LoL - X-BOX and M$ problems....

7. xload - system load average

8. Unable to Allocate Buffer

9. How to check system load average in an application code.

10. apache and system load average

11. System Load Average

12. system load average