Laptop Recommendation

Post by Tito the Mim » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:43:57

Hi everyone,

Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
RH7.0 or 7.1?

What I am looking for specifically is something that will (fairly easily)
allow me resolution of 1024x768 and will easily play sound. I also would
like to use an Orinoco Silver card with a residential gateway... but I
can figure that out later... Mostly I'd just like to get it running.

I will GREATLY value all opinions to this!

Thanks far in advance for all of your help!!!!!

cb

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Justin Frydma » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:48:51

I heard the mac ibook was sweet for linux/BSD

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/2001/07/03/ibook.html

Quote:> Hi everyone,

> Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
> RH7.0 or 7.1?

> What I am looking for specifically is something that will (fairly easily)
> allow me resolution of 1024x768 and will easily play sound. I also would
> like to use an Orinoco Silver card with a residential gateway... but I
> can figure that out later... Mostly I'd just like to get it running.

> I will GREATLY value all opinions to this!

> Thanks far in advance for all of your help!!!!!

> cb

Laptop Recommendation

Post by michael.fengle » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:52:18

>Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
>RH7.0 or 7.1?

Have a look at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops
http://lhd.zdnet.com/superguides/laptops.html
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

I use a Dell Inspiron 5000 with Xircom Realport pcmcia. No problems
at all (after I figured out how to access the modem).

Mike
--
perl -e'$_=unpack a12,pack N3,3*7*11*23*216103,5*5*1223*59471,\
11*41*1567*2383;s/(.).{6}(.)/print ord$1^109+(ord$2&15),"\n"/e'

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Moritz Franosc » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:55:09

Quote:> Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
> RH7.0 or 7.1?

> What I am looking for specifically is something that will (fairly easily)
> allow me resolution of 1024x768 and will easily play sound.

This one from Casio comes with Linux and is very small, it only has
800x600 resolution. Looks nice to me.

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/9614.html
http://www.casio.com/corporate/pressroom.cfm?act=2&pr=4909
http://www.casio.com/personalpcs/product.cfm?section=17&market=0&prod...

Moritz

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Moritz Franosc » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:00:14

> I heard the mac ibook was sweet for linux/BSD

We have tested one, but under Linux sound didn't work (although it
obviously was supported for a slightly older model) and the composite
video out didn't, too. (Under MacOS the picture was unusably bad for
presentations, you couldn't even read normal text. The newer ones have
a normal VGA adapter, but I don't know if it is supported under
Linux.)

Moritz

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Monty the Mooch ? » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:41:54

Personally, I have an HP Pavilion n6395

PIII 1 GHz
256MB RAM
30GB HD

The biggest problem is the built-in modem/ethernet combo. Winmodem style
stuff. Other than that. it zooms. After throwing in a Creative
SoundBlaster 56K PCMCIA modem. DING DING DING DING....We have a winner!

The sound on it is an ESS Maestro 3 so you'll likely need a newer kernel
to get it going.

TheMooch

In article

Quote:> Hi everyone,

> Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
> RH7.0 or 7.1?

> What I am looking for specifically is something that will (fairly
> easily) allow me resolution of 1024x768 and will easily play sound. I
> also would like to use an Orinoco Silver card with a residential
> gateway... but I can figure that out later... Mostly I'd just like to
> get it running.

> I will GREATLY value all opinions to this!

> Thanks far in advance for all of your help!!!!!

> cb

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Gareth William » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:51:27

In article

Quote:> Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
> RH7.0 or 7.1?

Dell Inspiron 4000.  Added bonus is Dell support Linux (well, RedHat at
least) and provide tailor-made RPMs on their support website.  Mandrake 8
and SuSE 7.2 (which I finally settled on) work really well with my Dell.  I
feel a song coming on ...

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:54:22

> In article

> > Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
> > RH7.0 or 7.1?

> Dell Inspiron 4000.  Added bonus is Dell support Linux (well, RedHat at
> least) and provide tailor-made RPMs on their support website.  Mandrake 8
> and SuSE 7.2 (which I finally settled on) work really well with my Dell.  I
> feel a song coming on ...

        Linux in the Dell,
        Linux in the Dell
        IO and CPU,
        Linux in the Dell

Has anyone tried the Eurocom 8500?

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Scot Mc Pherso » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 05:11:06

PPC support isn't all that great yet...stick with ix86s as that was the
architecture linux was designed for and is better supported than any other
architecture...

As far as laptops go...Dells have always done me well...Latitude or Inspiron

--
Scot Mc Pherson
~Linux is a journey, not a guided tour~

> I heard the mac ibook was sweet for linux/BSD

> http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/2001/07/03/ibook.html

Quote:> ...
> > Hi everyone,

> > Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
> > RH7.0 or 7.1?

> > What I am looking for specifically is something that will (fairly
easily)
> > allow me resolution of 1024x768 and will easily play sound. I also would
> > like to use an Orinoco Silver card with a residential gateway... but I
> > can figure that out later... Mostly I'd just like to get it running.

> > I will GREATLY value all opinions to this!

> > Thanks far in advance for all of your help!!!!!

> > cb

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Brian P. Flaher » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:21:25

I was running Win98 on a Gateway Solo 9300 and got tired of
rebooting.  I emailed the salesperson at Gateway asking about Linux.
After a couple emails to him, he finally forwarded it to tech. support
at Gateway and they wrote me back saying that they had RH 6.2 running
in it without a problem.  I also had no problem installing it or
running it.  I later installed RH 7.0 without a problem either, but
couldn't build programs because of the buggy gcc in RH 7.0.  I am
about to try debian on it instead.

Good luck.

Brian Flaherty
--
      /"\
      \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

Laptop Recommendation

Post by I hate spa » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 02:08:41

I've used IBM ThinkPads for a few years now as my Linux Laptop platform
and have never had better performance. Dell systems just seem to be
cheap and unreliable. Also, IBM support, when one of my ThinkPads went
down (compared to Dells its a 1 to 10 ration -and I have the stats of my
helpdesk to prove it) IBM has it back to me and repaired in two days.
Dell will send a tech out to look, assess, then possibly try a fix, and
if that doesn't work, then well try a different fix. Not my idea of
support thank you.

> In article

> > Hi everyone,

> > Any suggestions for a laptop (brand/type) that will comfortably house
> > RH7.0 or 7.1?

> > What I am looking for specifically is something that will (fairly
> > easily) allow me resolution of 1024x768 and will easily play sound. I
> > also would like to use an Orinoco Silver card with a residential
> > gateway... but I can figure that out later... Mostly I'd just like to
> > get it running.

> > I will GREATLY value all opinions to this!

> > Thanks far in advance for all of your help!!!!!

> > cb

Laptop Recommendation

Post by 3F » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:07:30

Quote:> I've used IBM ThinkPads for a few years now as my Linux Laptop platform
> and have never had better performance. Dell systems just seem to be
> cheap and unreliable. Also, IBM support, when one of my ThinkPads went
> down (compared to Dells its a 1 to 10 [ratio] -and I have the stats of my
> helpdesk to prove it) IBM has it back to me and repaired in two days.
> Dell will send a tech out to look, assess, then possibly try a fix, and
> if that doesn't work, then well try a different fix. Not my idea of
> support thank you.

I've talked to a lot of Stinkpad owners over the years, and I never
met one who didn't have some trouble with their machine.  Yes, IBM is
quick to fix and support their stuff, but I'd rather have it right,
right out of the box.

Mine's a Dell Inspiron 4000 with which I've had NO trouble.  I've not
bothered with sound, it's got a Winmodem in it which is apparently
supported by the LT stuff, but I've a pc card modem that works well,
so haven't bothered with it either.  1024x768 8Mb ATI Rage Mobility.
This is an excellent machine.  Dell is very easy about swapping out
unnecessary hardware too (I've a CD-RW instead of a useless DVD).
Dell's on-line support (the only type I've needed) is very helpful as
well, and they answer their emails promptly, in my experience.

What I liked the most about this thing when I got it was its design.
You can run it one spindle (hard drive) plus two batteries, and even
hang the floppy off the parallel port (which works in Linux).  Or two
spindle (HD + CD-RW/DVD) and a battery, and still hang the floppy off
parallel.  Or, finally, hard drive plus floppy (instead of CD/DVD).

Very nice machine.  I'm very satisfied.  FWIW.

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Jim Holme » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:25:00

>> I've used IBM ThinkPads for a few years now as my Linux Laptop platform

I use a Toshiba 2805 now ands have used a viao.I've liked both. The
Toshiba's internal modem will workwith the linmodem drivers. The only
real complaint I have with it is that it only has 2 USB ports and no
RS-232 ports. This normaly isn't an issues, except when I need to use
it as a terminal. Then again for that I'm usualy in windows anyway
because the terminal emulator I have there works better on Suns.

-jlh

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Ian Dougla » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:53:11

> > I've used IBM ThinkPads for a few years now as my Linux Laptop platform
> > and have never had better performance. Dell systems just seem to be
> > cheap and unreliable. Also, IBM support, when one of my ThinkPads went
> > down (compared to Dells its a 1 to 10 [ratio] -and I have the stats of my
> > helpdesk to prove it) IBM has it back to me and repaired in two days.
> > Dell will send a tech out to look, assess, then possibly try a fix, and
> > if that doesn't work, then well try a different fix. Not my idea of
> > support thank you.

> I've talked to a lot of Stinkpad owners over the years, and I never
> met one who didn't have some trouble with their machine.  Yes, IBM is
> quick to fix and support their stuff, but I'd rather have it right,
> right out of the box.

> Mine's a Dell Inspiron 4000 with which I've had NO trouble.  I've not
> bothered with sound, it's got a Winmodem in it which is apparently
> supported by the LT stuff, but I've a pc card modem that works well,
> so haven't bothered with it either.  1024x768 8Mb ATI Rage Mobility.
> This is an excellent machine.  Dell is very easy about swapping out
> unnecessary hardware too (I've a CD-RW instead of a useless DVD).
> Dell's on-line support (the only type I've needed) is very helpful as
> well, and they answer their emails promptly, in my experience.

> What I liked the most about this thing when I got it was its design.
> You can run it one spindle (hard drive) plus two batteries, and even
> hang the floppy off the parallel port (which works in Linux).  Or two
> spindle (HD + CD-RW/DVD) and a battery, and still hang the floppy off
> parallel.  Or, finally, hard drive plus floppy (instead of CD/DVD).

> Very nice machine.  I'm very satisfied.  FWIW.

> --
>  Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>      TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.

Just to add to this, I have installed a few flavours on an HP Omnibook XE2 and
had no troubles other than not being able to use the onboard modem. SUSE even
got the onboard sound working perfectly!

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Mudd » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 08:06:33

DO NOT USE COMPAQ, EVER!
sorry for the caps but I've been fighting to get RH7.1 working on my compaq
1655 laptop and
it's been a Giant pain in the rear, so if your considering buying Compaq,
chances are you won't
be able to use Linux on it. (of course I've been wrong before).

-Muddy

> > I've used IBM ThinkPads for a few years now as my Linux Laptop platform
> > and have never had better performance. Dell systems just seem to be
> > cheap and unreliable. Also, IBM support, when one of my ThinkPads went
> > down (compared to Dells its a 1 to 10 [ratio] -and I have the stats of
my
> > helpdesk to prove it) IBM has it back to me and repaired in two days.
> > Dell will send a tech out to look, assess, then possibly try a fix, and
> > if that doesn't work, then well try a different fix. Not my idea of
> > support thank you.

> I've talked to a lot of Stinkpad owners over the years, and I never
> met one who didn't have some trouble with their machine.  Yes, IBM is
> quick to fix and support their stuff, but I'd rather have it right,
> right out of the box.

> Mine's a Dell Inspiron 4000 with which I've had NO trouble.  I've not
> bothered with sound, it's got a Winmodem in it which is apparently
> supported by the LT stuff, but I've a pc card modem that works well,
> so haven't bothered with it either.  1024x768 8Mb ATI Rage Mobility.
> This is an excellent machine.  Dell is very easy about swapping out
> unnecessary hardware too (I've a CD-RW instead of a useless DVD).
> Dell's on-line support (the only type I've needed) is very helpful as
> well, and they answer their emails promptly, in my experience.

> What I liked the most about this thing when I got it was its design.
> You can run it one spindle (hard drive) plus two batteries, and even
> hang the floppy off the parallel port (which works in Linux).  Or two
> spindle (HD + CD-RW/DVD) and a battery, and still hang the floppy off
> parallel.  Or, finally, hard drive plus floppy (instead of CD/DVD).

> Very nice machine.  I'm very satisfied.  FWIW.

> --
>  Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>      TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.

1. Laptop recommendations?

i'm a recreational macuser,that is to say double-click, no command line type
of guy, who wants to grow up and learn linux
i would like to get an inexpensive/moderately priced laptop pc (i have not
been able to install linuxppc on my performa 6400, so it's time to buy new
computer, i guess) and run linux on it, perhaps dual linux/windows,
i read that certain components should be avoided because their manufacturers
keep their interface configuration proprietory(whatever that is),
also, that one should avoid a winmodem(which is what?)
please, advise me how to proceed
thanks,
igor

2. Problem with utmp file

3. Linux Laptop recommendation?

4. Encryption on Linux?

5. Notebook/laptop recommendation?

6. Voice modem dialout messaging

7. Laptop recommendation

8. AUTOMOUNT PROBLEM HELP!!!!

9. Linux Laptop -- recommendations?

10. good 64 bit laptop recommendation ...

11. Linux Laptop Recommendation

12. Laptop recommendation: Winbook XL ok?

13. laptop recommendation