Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Jeff Killee » Sat, 05 May 2001 21:08:31

This initial message is for anyone who may be interested in speaking at
CETS-2001 (Compaq Enterprise Technical Symposium) www.CETS2001.com.  A
representative group of 40+ likely attendees recently met as teams to advise
what _new_ content is desired at the CETS fall Symposium this September.
The report is available at...

http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.doc

...or...

http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.pdf

...a more detail message will follow next week.  Session speakers have their
conference fee waived.  Weekend Seminar or Techworks Bootcamp speakers also
have their fee waived plus receive airfare and weekend hotel.  Please stayed
tuned for a detailed message regarding speaking at CETS-2001 that will
follow on 5/8/2001 or 5/9/2001.  However it would be useful to read this
report in advance of this message.

End User session are highly valued at CETS...

--

Jeff Killeen - www.Killeen.cc (All contact info)

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Terry C. Shanno » Sun, 06 May 2001 00:17:54

Quote:> This initial message is for anyone who may be interested in speaking at
> CETS-2001 (Compaq Enterprise Technical Symposium) www.CETS2001.com.  A
> representative group of 40+ likely attendees recently met as teams to
advise
> what _new_ content is desired at the CETS fall Symposium this September.
> The report is available at...

> http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.doc

> ...or...

> http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.pdf

And IMHO the report is well worth reading... it is evident that an
extraordinary amount of work went into this effort. IMHO the CETS2001 team
is doing everything in its power to ensure that CETS2001 sessions will
reflect the needs and desires of the attendees.

terry s

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Jeff Killee » Sun, 06 May 2001 05:44:30

BTW - Sessions submitted by May 20th have the best chance of being
scheduled...

--

Jeff Killeen - www.Killeen.cc (All contact info)

Quote:> This initial message is for anyone who may be interested in speaking at
> CETS-2001 (Compaq Enterprise Technical Symposium) www.CETS2001.com.  A
> representative group of 40+ likely attendees recently met as teams to
advise
> what _new_ content is desired at the CETS fall Symposium this September.
> The report is available at...

> http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.doc

> ...or...

> http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.pdf

> ...a more detail message will follow next week.  Session speakers have
their
> conference fee waived.  Weekend Seminar or Techworks Bootcamp speakers
also
> have their fee waived plus receive airfare and weekend hotel.  Please
stayed
> tuned for a detailed message regarding speaking at CETS-2001 that will
> follow on 5/8/2001 or 5/9/2001.  However it would be useful to read this
> report in advance of this message.

> End User session are highly valued at CETS...

> --

> Jeff Killeen - www.Killeen.cc (All contact info)

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Jeff Killee » Thu, 10 May 2001 20:32:46

This is an FYI to all potential speakers...

This year the conference CD with the session notes will be published

Quote:>>>BEFORE<<< the conference.  That means there will be a requirement to have

your session materials submitted about mid August if you want them published
on the CD.  Any materials supplied after that point in time will only be
available via the web site.

The primary goal here is to insure attendees with laptops have the
presentations.  The secondary goal is to insure all presentations are
available to attendees via the web right after the session is presented.

We are developing a new web portal at www.CETS2001.com.  One of its features
will be a session index tool that will allow you to download the session
presentation (if available) when you display a session abstract.

Due to resource constraints the presentations material will be limited to
PowerPoint format.  We are aware that for some that is not a preferred
format.  We will review this issue again for CETS-2002.  Developing this new
portal has been a very resource intensive project and we have had to limit
its scope to insure timelines are achieved within budget...

--

Jeff Killeen - Encompass CETS Business Manager

Quote:> This initial message is for anyone who may be interested in speaking at
> CETS-2001 (Compaq Enterprise Technical Symposium) www.CETS2001.com.  A
> representative group of 40+ likely attendees recently met as teams to
advise
> what _new_ content is desired at the CETS fall Symposium this September.
> The report is available at...

> http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.doc

> ...or...

> http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.pdf

> ...a more detail message will follow next week.  Session speakers have
their
> conference fee waived.  Weekend Seminar or Techworks Bootcamp speakers
also
> have their fee waived plus receive airfare and weekend hotel.  Please
stayed
> tuned for a detailed message regarding speaking at CETS-2001 that will
> follow on 5/8/2001 or 5/9/2001.  However it would be useful to read this
> report in advance of this message.

> End User session are highly valued at CETS...

> --

> Jeff Killeen - www.Killeen.cc (All contact info)

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Dave Gudewic » Thu, 10 May 2001 22:10:50

Thanks Jeff.  I think having the CD created *before* the conference is a
great idea.

Dave...

Post by Jan Vorbruegge » Thu, 10 May 2001 23:21:26

> Due to resource constraints the presentations material will be limited to
> PowerPoint format.

It is so difficult to accept, either alternatively or in addition, PDF files
(which can be generated from PPT, BTW, and I as a company employee usually do
not consider it a good idea to give away all the company-specific PPT template
stuff with every presentation)?

        Jan

Post by David J. Dachter » Fri, 11 May 2001 01:58:11

> This is an FYI to all potential speakers...

> This year the conference CD with the session notes will be published
> your session materials submitted about mid August if you want them published
> on the CD.  Any materials supplied after that point in time will only be
> available via the web site.

I would suggest, then, that the pre-conference CD be cleary labelled
"PRELIMINARY - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE" with that notice
repeated copiously throughout the material and that a complete, updated,
comprehensive post-conference CD be made available either free of charge
or for the cost of postage and handling.

I do, also, second David G.'s comment that this is a good idea, with the
caveat of the limitations mentioned above.

Quote:> The primary goal here is to insure attendees with laptops have the
> presentations.  The secondary goal is to insure all presentations are
> available to attendees via the web right after the session is presented.

To accomodate attendees with laptops, perhaps a better option might be
to facilitate (by some magic) downloading of the presentation(s) for
those session(s) one wishes to attend. This eliminates the cost and
lead-time of producing a static medium, and provides the latest and most
up-to-date presentation to the attendees.

Of course, hardcopy hand-outs will still need to be available since not
everyone is sufficiently affluent to have the luxury of travelling with
a laptop (much less even having one). I see many attendees with them,
but I also see the majority of attendees without them. So, it
(pre-conference CD) seems an inordinately large effort/expense to go
through to serve a somewhat limited audience.

Quote:> We are developing a new web portal at www.CETS2001.com.  One of its features
> will be a session index tool that will allow you to download the session
> presentation (if available) when you display a session abstract.

> Due to resource constraints the presentations material will be limited to
> PowerPoint format.  We are aware that for some that is not a preferred
> format.  We will review this issue again for CETS-2002.  Developing this new
> portal has been a very resource intensive project and we have had to limit
> its scope to insure timelines are achieved within budget...

I second Larry K.'s comments, and expand:

PowerPoint itself provides for HTML output (well, HTML and either .GIF
or .JPG). Extra effort required to accomodate this should be minimal or
non-existant. All servers and browsers (except Lynx) on all platforms
support both HTML and .GIF/.JPG, AFAIK.

PPT is M$-proprietary with limited support in Linux and *BSD (Koffice,
StarOffice, etc.).

Users having PPT should be able to download the .PPT file (Zipped,
preferably, of course! - NO SELF-EXTRACTS!!! (security consideration)).
Other users should be able to download the HTML version (again, Zipped
to preserve the directory structure as well as to reduce the download
bandwidth consumption).

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page and Message Board:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

This may have been posted to an OpenVMS-related newsgroup. So, a certain
bias in postings is to be expected.

Feel free to exercise your rights of free speech and expression.

However, attacks against individual posters, or groups of posters, are
strongly discouraged.

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Andy Bustamant » Fri, 11 May 2001 05:09:19

Just to stir things up:

Just how many people feel the need to carry laptops around?  My department
shares one for travel (PowerTerm & e-mail) but I've never felt the need to
lug it out of the hotel room and around the show.

Paper handouts allow for immediate notetaking without worrying about power
problems.  If you want to service laptop users, how about network drops with
a DHCP server and an intranet web site (or read-only shared folder) where
presentations can be staged.

Dstributing current presentations should be the priority, waiting a few
weeks for CD has never been a hardship.

--
Andy Bustamante
Remove the ASCII 95s to reply

Quote:> This is an FYI to all potential speakers...

> This year the conference CD with the session notes will be published
> your session materials submitted about mid August if you want them
published
> on the CD.  Any materials supplied after that point in time will only be
> available via the web site.

> The primary goal here is to insure attendees with laptops have the
> presentations.  The secondary goal is to insure all presentations are
> available to attendees via the web right after the session is presented.

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Brian Schenkenberger, VAXma » Fri, 11 May 2001 07:06:29

Quote:>Just to stir things up:

>Just how many people feel the need to carry laptops around?  My department
>shares one for travel (PowerTerm & e-mail) but I've never felt the need to
>lug it out of the hotel room and around the show.

Another ASSumption that everybody has and uses a laptop.

--
VAXman- OpenVMS APE certification number: AAA-0001     VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

city, n., 1. a place where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Jeff Killee » Fri, 11 May 2001 07:34:21

Quote:> Paper handouts allow for immediate notetaking without worrying about power
> problems.

For 2002 would you be willing to pay an extra $50-75 for a paper copy?

--

Post by David J. Dachter » Fri, 11 May 2001 22:15:50

> > Paper handouts allow for immediate notetaking without worrying about power
> > problems.

> For 2002 would you be willing to pay an extra $50-75 for a paper copy?

I personally ate $300+ dollars for the handouts to my Fall '99
presentations.

FWIW...

I now have the capacity to produce them myself for less than 10 percent
of that, despite a financially disasterous recent 18 months.

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems
http://www.djesys.com/

Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page and Message Board:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

This *IS* an OpenVMS-related newsgroup. So, a certain bias in postings
is to be expected.

Feel free to exercise your rights of free speech and expression.

However, attacks against individual posters, or groups of posters, are
strongly discouraged.

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by David J. Dachter » Fri, 11 May 2001 22:20:14

Quote:> [snip]
> PowerPoint itself provides for HTML output (well, HTML and either .GIF
> or .JPG). Extra effort required to accomodate this should be minimal or
> non-existant. All servers and browsers (except Lynx) on all platforms
> support both HTML and .GIF/.JPG, AFAIK.

Case in point:

http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

Static HTML, no special server-side software required.

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems
http://www.djesys.com/

Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page and Message Board:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

This may have been posted to an OpenVMS-related newsgroup. So, a certain
bias in postings is to be expected.

Feel free to exercise your rights of free speech and expression.

However, attacks against individual posters, or groups of posters, are
strongly discouraged.

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Dave Gudewic » Fri, 11 May 2001 22:28:28

I gotta agree with Andy here.  And yes I'll gladly pay the charge for the
paper handouts.
Hard to scratch notes on a CD.  Easy on paper.  I also notice people
scrambling for close to the wall seats in hopes of finding an outlet during
presentations.  They are often disappointed when none are found.

Seems like most laptops can't be used w/o power for more than a few hours.
With sessions running all day, this doesn't add up.  Paper and pencil still
wins this race.

Dave...

> Just to stir things up:

> Just how many people feel the need to carry laptops around?  My department
> shares one for travel (PowerTerm & e-mail) but I've never felt the need to
> lug it out of the hotel room and around the show.

> Paper handouts allow for immediate notetaking without worrying about power
> problems.  If you want to service laptop users, how about network drops
with
> a DHCP server and an intranet web site (or read-only shared folder) where
> presentations can be staged.

> Dstributing current presentations should be the priority, waiting a few
> weeks for CD has never been a hardship.

> --
> Andy Bustamante
> Remove the ASCII 95s to reply

> > This is an FYI to all potential speakers...

> > This year the conference CD with the session notes will be published
> have
> > your session materials submitted about mid August if you want them
> published
> > on the CD.  Any materials supplied after that point in time will only be
> > available via the web site.

> > The primary goal here is to insure attendees with laptops have the
> > presentations.  The secondary goal is to insure all presentations are
> > available to attendees via the web right after the session is presented.

Conference: CETS-2001 - Content Advisory Teams Phase I report

Post by Andy Bustamant » Sat, 12 May 2001 07:13:11

After paying for the CETS, air, car, hotel, meals . . . YES.

If it's an extra charge will there be a cash register at the back of each
session or will this charge be applied to the conference as a whole?

BTW will you have CD's available for the VMS Tadpoles out there? <G>