Linux client to MS exchange server

Post by Erev » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:27:33

Is there any way to use a linux client to MS exchange server?

The company I work for, is using MS exchange and the mailboxes are stored as
.pst files on the server. The clients are MS outlook.
I want to be able to use my mail from my linux workstation, so I wonder if
there is any mail client that supports that.

thanks

Linux client to MS exchange server

Post by Sybren Stuve » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:00:06

Erevos enlightened us with:

Quote:> Is there any way to use a linux client to MS exchange server?

There is a commercial plugin for Evolution - I think it can be found on
www.ximian.org

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

Post by Google Mi » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 05:06:37

> Erevos enlightened us with:
> > Is there any way to use a linux client to MS exchange server?

> There is a commercial plugin for Evolution - I think it can be found on
> www.ximian.org

> Sybren

This costs money, of course. I would love to see a SourceForge.net
movement to create an open source connection for KMail, instead --
even if we have to load something somewhere on the W2K network to
enable it. I think it's doable using Microsoft's CDO API and VB6,
accessing one's inbox, and then pushing the files to Linux over ftp or
smb as a "Mailbox folder", which is an option in KMail. This gets one
out of being in trouble for starting a rogue pop server on the
corporate net.

Post by Erev » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:20:37

> > Erevos enlightened us with:
> > > Is there any way to use a linux client to MS exchange server?

> > There is a commercial plugin for Evolution - I think it can be found on
> > www.ximian.org

> > Sybren

> This costs money, of course. I would love to see a SourceForge.net
> movement to create an open source connection for KMail, instead

So I guess there is no -free- sollution after all.. I am not going to
spend any money for something that isn't mine, if it was for my home
computer it would be different.

Thanks for your help anyway !

Linux client to MS exchange server

Post by Nodir Gulyamo » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:41:15

If you need access to only mailbox without extensions like meetings,
appointments and so on you can try any IMAP client. I am using Mozilla mail
client to connect MS Exch. and everything works well.
Hope that helps.

Post by Google Mi » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:29:22

> If you need access to only mailbox without extensions like meetings,
> appointments and so on you can try any IMAP client. I am using Mozilla mail
> client to connect MS Exch. and everything works well.

Unfortunately, Nodir, the "net nazis" at my office do not support
that I found KPOP was loaded, although I'm still interrogating whether
or not I can get into that.

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. WANTED: NEC 5FGp dot clocks...

3. Creating a glbal address list with a linux server and MS Win95 Clients with Exchange

4. OpenBSD: IPSec choosing trafic for tunneling

5. Linux Exchange/MS Mail clients and servers

6. Parallel Port tools

7. MS Exchange Server e-mail client?

8. Linux for internet access from Netware 4.1 network

9. mail client/server with MS Exchange

10. MS Exchange client for Linux

11. Any linux/open-source mail clients that grok MS-exchange?

12. MS Exchange client on Linux

13. Linux client for MS Exchange