tex preview without X11 ??

Post by Klaus Hartne » Fri, 19 Feb 1993 21:45:50

Does anybody know of a tex preview program for linux
that does not require X?
The reason is that we have some computers with only 4 Meg.
I didn't find it in the FAQ.

--
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen 1, Germany

Disclaimer: this text reflects MY opinion, not that of my employer!

tex preview without X11 ??

Post by Thomas In der Ried » Sat, 20 Feb 1993 19:55:32

Hi Klaus!

First: Without X there's know possibility to preview TeX
Second: I got 4 meg only, too. But with a swap of about 6 meg I'm
        able to run it without probs.
        There's no loss of quickness compared to 8meg main ram.

Thomas In der Rieden.

tex preview without X11 ??

Post by Ben C » Sun, 21 Feb 1993 02:15:07

Quote:>First: Without X there's know possibility to preview TeX

Actually this is not true.  Before I got X running (I used to have an
S3 card last summer), I used the following method:

    .tex ->tex-> .dvi ->dvips-> .ps ->ghostscript-> .gif

Then view the GIF file with a vgalib viewer.

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, but it works.

--
Ben Cox

tex preview without X11 ??

Post by Joerg Lenne » Sun, 21 Feb 1993 07:29:31

There is also a previewer which runs under DOS called dvivga (should
be on a FTP site near you). Maybe it is compatible with dosemu.

--
Joerg Lenneis

University of Economics and Business Adminstration
Department for Applied Statistics and Data Processing
Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria

Tel. *43/222/31336 4758

tex preview without X11 ??

Post by Klaus Hartne » Mon, 22 Feb 1993 07:29:39

A few days ago I asked:

Quote:>Does anybody know of a tex preview program for linux
>that does not require X?
>The reason is that we have some computers with only 4 Meg.

Since there seems to be quite some interest in this
(several people asked me to forward any replies that I receive),
here are the two answers that I got via mail:

1. xfree is not the only x11 for linux, there is
   also one that needs less resources, could run
   well in 4 megs. Unfortunately I don't know the name.

Does anybody know which X program this could be and
where one can find it?

2. There exists a dvivga that runs on top of vgalib, i.e. no X.
   This was ported from DOS to unix. It is VERY slow.
   Binaries can be found on the usual linux sites (tsx11,...)
   in the file binaries/usr.bin/dvivga-00.tar.Z

Thanks a lot for all answers.
Now I will try dvivga and hope that it is not too slow
(at least not slower than xdvi in x11 with 4 megs).

Klaus
--

Post by Andrew J. Cosgriff » Mon, 22 Feb 1993 13:20:54

>Does anybody know of a tex preview program for linux
>that does not require X?
>The reason is that we have some computers with only 4 Meg.
>I didn't find it in the FAQ.

I've got a similar problem - i don't really have the HD space for X
(TeX and Emacs are far more important than X :)
and i've worked out how to do it (i haven't tried yet, though)

- recompile ghostscript to have the ppmraw device (i need to use ghostscript to
print out dvi files anyway, so it's not really a hassle)

- get dpg-view and vgalib (if you're using the newer versions, it'll work in th
        Tseng SVGA modes :)

- use dvips , then gss and output to ppm and then use dpg-view !
(might have to get pbmplus and use ppmtogif first, but i think dpg-view does ppm files...)

Well, it *might* work...
*please* let me know if it works !
(or, if i do it first, i'll let you know instead...)

Enjoy !

Cos !

 * Andrew J. Cosgriff ! *              "Connect the goddamn dots !"  (Ministry)
#define HERE cc.monash.edu.au                       #include <std_disclaimer.h>

tex preview without X11 ??

Post by Wen-Chun » Tue, 23 Feb 1993 05:40:19

>I've got a similar problem - i don't really have the HD space for X
>(TeX and Emacs are far more important than X :)
>and i've worked out how to do it (i haven't tried yet, though)

I do have the space and memory. But I hate to go to X just for
previewing. Emacs on the full screen console is much more comfortable.

Quote:

>- recompile ghostscript to have the ppmraw device (i need to use ghostscript to
>print out dvi files anyway, so it's not really a hassle)

>- get dpg-view and vgalib (if you're using the newer versions, it'll work in th
>    Tseng SVGA modes :)

I examined the source of xdvi and found that very well-written. This
means we may extract the essential part of font access code, then write
the VGA part. I've tried dvivga but it cannot use the default TeX font
so I gave up.

I don't have time to rewrite the display stuff. Any vulunteerer? ;-)

  "Great spirits have always encountered * opposition
        from mediocre minds..."    -- Albert Einstein

tex preview without X11 ??

Post by jason bast » Sun, 28 Feb 1993 04:08:06

>>I've got a similar problem - i don't really have the HD space for X
>>(TeX and Emacs are far more important than X :)

hello,

i know of a program called "dvi2tty", we have it here on our dec
system... it does a passable job of previewing dvi files on a regular
terminal screen.

i don't know if this has been compiled on a linux system yet, but if
you are looking for a quick non-X way to preview your files, check it out.

jason

1. Previewing TeX without X-windows?

Does anybody know whether it is possible to preview (La)TeX files under Linux
without using xdvi and hence Xwindows?  X really eats too much resources to
be used comfortably on a 386.

Please reply by email.

Thanks in advance,
        Ernst

--
C est la vie  |  Gezocht: (programmeer)bijverdiensten

Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University | Tel: +31 (40)-540067
UUCP: !mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!praxis!hnridder     |      +31 (4192)-13507

C est la vie  |  Gezocht: (programmeer)bijverdiensten

Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University | Tel: +31 (40)-540067

2. Need G++/Sockets help

3. Installing tex without X11 ?

4. help ? BT 958/958D anyone have any exp. with this card???

5. where: Simple TeX previewing under Linux

6. nfs problem on client NT

7. TeX can preview, but cannot print!

8. install error: cdrom not recognized

9. start X11-jobs in background without X11-login

10. I need this file: /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xaw/TextSink.h !!!

11. TeX previewer without X

12. TeX viewing without xdvi??