QIC-80/40/02/Jumbo - What's the difference?

QIC-80/40/02/Jumbo - What's the difference?

Post by Bjarne G. Ha » Sat, 29 May 1993 21:45:39

Hi,

 Can someone tell me what the differences are between all the tape
drive standards (QIC-80, QIC-40, QIC-02, Colorado Jumbo)? Are the
tapes of different sizes, or is it the controller protocol?  I have
been wanting to buy a tape drive for a long time now, and I'm really
just looking for a cheap drive that uses similar tapes to the ones I
use at work on my Sun station.

The drive I have in mind right now is a really cheap Conner/Archive
QIC-80 drive, which uses a floppy drive connection. Are there any
Linux-drivers for this kind of drive ? Will there be any?

Thanks in advance,

Bjarne

QIC-80/40/02/Jumbo - What's the difference?

Post by P D » Sun, 30 May 1993 08:29:15

Quote:> Can someone tell me what the differences are between all the tape
>drive standards (QIC-80, QIC-40, QIC-02, Colorado Jumbo)? Are the
>tapes of different sizes, or is it the controller protocol?  I have
>been wanting to buy a tape drive for a long time now, and I'm really
>just looking for a cheap drive that uses similar tapes to the ones I
>use at work on my Sun station.

>The drive I have in mind right now is a really cheap Conner/Archive
>QIC-80 drive, which uses a floppy drive connection. Are there any
>Linux-drivers for this kind of drive ? Will there be any?

QIC refers to Quarter Inch Cartridge (6.35mm).

QIC-02 is a standard for interconnecting a tape drive via a floppy
controller.  My copy of the QIC-02 document is AWOL, so this is from
bio-memory and the catalog, which just labels it as "1/4-inch Cartridge
Tape Drive Intelligent Interface".

QIC-40 is a standard for DC2000 type tapes that gives a 40 megabyte
capacity before compression.  It records 20 tracks.

QIC-80 is a standard for DC2080 or DC2120 type tapes that gives an 80
megabyte or 120 megabyte capacity before compression.  It records 28
tracks.  The DC2120 tapes are apparently longer (90m vs 60m).

Other standards of interest may be QIC-24, QIC-150, QIC-525, QIC-36,
QIC-117, QIC-112, and others.  Contact:
    Quarter-Inch Cartridge Drive Standards, Inc.
    311 East Carrillo Street
    Santa Barbara, California 93101
    tel: 805-963-3853
    fax: 805-962-1541
for more information or specific documents.

If you want to use the smaller DC2000 series tapes, QIC-80 might be the
way to go, although the standard includes actual file encapsulation format
and while it specifies a UNIX capability, it is not all that flexible.

The DC6000 tape formats (QIC-150 and QIC-525) don't specify the format
beyond a basic byte stream, so you might use tar or cpio with these.

Colorado memory systems and a few other companies make QIC-80 (one
company makes a modified QIC-150) drive that uses the parallel interface
instead of the floppy interface, but these companies are all being
hard nosed about allowing any technical information out about using
their drive interfaces.  The apparent reason is that they have done
some proprietary engineering to get the parallel interfaces to work.

The parallel interface, while convenient, does not seem to fit the need
for a true universal interface for generic devices.  I currently am
pushing SCSI for that role.  There are no QIC-80 drives for SCSI that
I am aware of, but there are a number of them for QIC-150 and QIC-525.
--

| depending on government is that you cannot depend on it" - Tony Brown |