Metrolink Motif for Linux (problem resolution)

Metrolink Motif for Linux (problem resolution)

Post by al.. » Fri, 04 Jun 1993 06:48:19

Metrolink is currently working on the man page problems; the fellow
who did the port is working quite hard to resolve the formatting glitches.

A patch disk will be available, which will also include a fix for the
problem with the shared X libraries that results in some Motif apps crashing
if not linked with the static libs. This patch disk will also contain
corrected man pages.

I received printed docs from them this AM and although formatting problems
remain, they were sufficient for me to configure mwm to my taste.

Now that I realize that Metrolink is indeed committed to supporting
Linux users, I would not hesitate to recommend the package, with the
caveat that things may be a bit rough for a while, but all evidence is
that they will only get better.

Look for more Linux stuff from Metrolink in the future (I hope....).

--

Post by Harald Koen » Tue, 08 Jun 1993 21:37:59

>A patch disk will be available, which will also include a fix for the
>problem with the shared X libraries that results in some Motif apps crashing
>if not linked with the static libs. This patch disk will also contain
>corrected man pages.

How could the shared lib problem be fixed? We (our csd) have a
Motif-1.2.2 source licence and I built libXm about 2 months ago using
dll tools-2.1 and got the same problems.

I planed to try using tools-2.7.x (still using gcc-2.3.3 and
libc-4.3.3) this or next weekend to fix this problem.
Will this be good for anything?

Any info?

Thanks,
Harald
--

    All SCSI disks will from now on be required to send an email
         notice 24 hours prior to complete hardware failure!

Post by Mahesh Neelakan » Wed, 09 Jun 1993 00:10:44

>>A patch disk will be available, which will also include a fix for the
>>problem with the shared X libraries that results in some Motif apps crashing
>>if not linked with the static libs. This patch disk will also contain
>>corrected man pages.

>How could the shared lib problem be fixed? We (our csd) have a
>Motif-1.2.2 source licence and I built libXm about 2 months ago using
>dll tools-2.1 and got the same problems.

You should definetly get 2.6 or above. I was having the shared lib problems
with 2.4 and Eric & HJ suggested using 2.6 and the shared libs worked with
that.

mahesh