Network Woes [from a network newbie!]

Post by Jeffrey T. No » Thu, 23 Sep 1993 04:20:03

        I'm hoping this is a real simple problem that someone can
help me fix. I'm trying to get a linux box onto the net and it isnt
working so hot. At boot up time, the rc comes up with the error:
        SIOCADDRT: network unreachable
        SIOCADDRT: network unreachable

        If i try to telnet, it just hangs for a while, if i take the cable
out and try, it comes up with a bad cable error. Its the MCC p10 installation
with a p12 kernel. This is what rc.inet1 looks like:
   HOSTNAME=`hostname`

   /usr/etc/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
   /usr/etc/route add 127.0.0.1

   IPADDR="128.123.1.55"
   NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
   NETWORK="128.123.1.0"
   BROADCAST="128.123.1.255"

   /usr/etc/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
   /usr/etc/route add ${IPADDR}
   /usr/etc/route add ${NETWORK}
   /usr/etc/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

Thats it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, BTW: its a 486-25
with a wd8003 8-bit card. Heres another question, at bootup, it seems
to autodetect everything that goes into the CONFIG in net/inet in the
kernel source, I defined it all anyway and compiled, but do i really
have to? Thanks,
        Jeff

Network Woes [from a network newbie!]

Post by Michael S Finger » Thu, 23 Sep 1993 12:57:36

Quote:>    I'm hoping this is a real simple problem that someone can
>help me fix. I'm trying to get a linux box onto the net and it isnt
>working so hot. At boot up time, the rc comes up with the error:
>    SIOCADDRT: network unreachable
>    SIOCADDRT: network unreachable

> [ etc ... ]

I had the same problem and all I did was to put the broadcast in the ifconfig
line before the netmask, and that seemed to fix the problem.

So instead of:

Quote:>   /usr/etc/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}

try:
    /usr/etc/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}

Whether that is a 'correct' solutionor not, I am not sure.  But it works.

-Mike

1. linux newbie networking woes

Hi all,

As a long-time *nix user and new PowerBook G3 owner, I was very excited to
order and install LinuxPPC 1999.  The installation was remarkably easy; kudos
to all those involved in making it so smooth!

I've been battling with a frustrating problem, however.  I regularly move my
PowerBook from work to home and back and need to be able to network relatively
painlessly with both systems.

At work, I have a direct Ethernet line which I just plug into my PB and I have
been able to get networking going with netcfg with the work BOOTP connection
with a minimum of trouble --- simply copying the IP, nameserver, and other
information from my MacOS TCP/IP control panel and inserting in the usual spots
in netcfg.  Works like a charm.

At home, I have a cable modem with Time Warner's Road Runner service, and I
have been unable to make this connection work.  I'm running kernel version
2.2.6-15apmac, with dhcp-2.0b1pl6 and dhcpcd-1.3.17pl2 installed.  I have been
able to get an IP address from Road Runner's DHCP server by running dhcpcd
from the command line, but I have been unable to make it start up at boot time
and I have been unable to get telnet, ftp, etc. connectivity.

I have Vladimir Vuksan's mini-HOWTO on DHCP (v 4.2, 11 June 1999) and have
gone through it entirely, but haven't been able to make this work.

So I guess my questions are:

   a) how do I set up networking through my cable modem to allow me to
       run telnet, ftp, and other such connections?

   b) assuming I can get (a) going, how do I switch back and forth between
       work's direct Ethernet BOOTP connection and home's DHCP cable modem
       connection, preferably without too much manual intervention at
startup...?

If anyone out there can give help me through this (I've reached the 'go
play basketball
or I'll kill my computer stage'), I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks for
any pointers.

--
Greg Anderson

2. Bad hosts equiv in sendmail

3. Newbie's networking woes (RTL-8029)

4. Linux 5.2 to 6 upgrade, how do I backup???

5. suggest network analyzer for total network newbie?

6. Soundbl. Vibra16X PnP problems

7. help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

8. Patch 108993-29 breaks single-user mode?

9. Networking Conceptual Questions from a Network Newbie (sorta long)

10. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

11. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

12. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

13. Solaris network config woes :(