TeX - dvips fonts

Post by Yeow-Meng Th » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 05:01:45

We have two TeX users on our machine. Each time we use dvips
GFtoPk etc. is invoked and fonts appear to be regenerated for the use of
each dvips run. Can this be avoided? Is this a problem (with our setup,
for example)?

Thank you.

TeX - dvips fonts

Post by Olaf Fleb » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 20:43:56

>We have two TeX users on our machine. Each time we use dvips
>GFtoPk etc. is invoked and fonts appear to be regenerated for the use of
>each dvips run. Can this be avoided? Is this a problem (with our setup,
>for example)?

Make the fontdir world writable.
 chmod a+w /usr/TeX/lib/tex/fonts/pk*
    *and*
 chmod a+r /usr/TeX/lib/tex/fonts/pk*/* (THIS is a bug in SLS)

I don't remeber the correct name of the fontdir, but I thin k it is
quite close to it.

Olaf

--
  Olaf Flebbe,  Theoretische Astrophysik Tuebingen

TeX - dvips fonts

Post by Frank T Lofar » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 22:41:39

Excerpts from comp.os.linux: 29-Apr-93 Re: TeX - dvips fonts Olaf

Quote:>Make the fontdir world writable.

 >chmod a+w /usr/TeX/lib/tex/fonts/pk*

Quote:>    *and*
> chmod a+r /usr/TeX/lib/tex/fonts/pk*/* (THIS is a bug in SLS)
>I don't remeber the correct name of the fontdir, but I thin k it is
>quite close to it.
>Olaf

You have to make them sticky too, (chmod +t), else it is a security
hole, and people can do anything they want as far as creating/deleting
files goes. It still is a security hole. To be safe, run a command that
builds the fonts as root, then they will be permanent, and you won't
open yourself to security holes.

1. dvips not finding fonts (SLS 1.03 TeX installation)--help!

I am using TeX from SLS 1.03, and I have been unable to generate .ps
files with dvips. It returns error messages saying that it was unable
to find the fonts though they do exist and are in, supposedly, the
right directories. Am I supposed to link them to some other location
as well?

Thanks.

--

2. Q: MP3 player for X under FreeBSD.

3. Creating X fonts from TEX fonts

4. Color ('black background') probs in RH4.2/XFree86 3.3

5. trouble with TeX and dvips

6. 1 Gig Drive for 560

7. lpd, TeX, dvips and ghostscript

8. Mouse Doesn't Work in RedHat 4.2

9. installing TeX/dvips

10. TeX -> dvips -> gs -> DOS -> dj500: printer hangs

11. dvips (no tex.pro) problem from slackware 1.1.2

12. dvips, logout, compaq, auc-tex

13. shared versions of tex/mf/dvips available