Any map- & GPS-software?

Post by Tiny Human Ferre » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:56:24

>         I want to get one of those canned map programs for
> my home machine which displays topographics, and interfaces
> with a shirt-pocket GPS which will take a series of
> waypoints along my carefully hidden hunting trails. feed
> them into the machine when I get back, and thereby enable it
> to draw the routes in -- preferably by following level lines
> insofar as feasible.

>         That much exists, at least from DeLorme and probably
> from others -- for muckeyslop. I, of course, want it to run
> on linux. Is there sech of a beast? Yet, anyway? Anybody
> know?

This is in fact where Linux just plain falls down. So far as I know, there
are no decent working Open Source mapware programs available. There _is_ the
NIMAMUSE which is available from NIMA, and it works just fine, but the map
sets available for it are extremely limited, being mostly for the use of the
military M&S community. There's also some opensource freeware available, but
it's a huge pain in the ass to try to compile, and I've never been able to
get it to work as advertised. You _might_ be able to buy a working copy from
the vendors, which I think it the general idea.

Quote:

--
The incapacity of a weak and distracted government may often assume the
appearance, and produce the effects, of a treasonable correspondence

Any map- & GPS-software?

Post by John Sessom » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:24:20

> >         I want to get one of those canned map programs for
> > my home machine which displays topographics, and interfaces
> > with a shirt-pocket GPS which will take a series of
> > waypoints along my carefully hidden hunting trails. feed
> > them into the machine when I get back, and thereby enable it
> > to draw the routes in -- preferably by following level lines
> > insofar as feasible.

> >         That much exists, at least from DeLorme and probably
> > from others -- for muckeyslop. I, of course, want it to run
> > on linux. Is there sech of a beast? Yet, anyway? Anybody
> > know?

> This is in fact where Linux just plain falls down. So far as I know, there
> are no decent working Open Source mapware programs available. There _is_ the
> NIMAMUSE which is available from NIMA, and it works just fine, but the map
> sets available for it are extremely limited, being mostly for the use of the
> military M&S community.

Will it do 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 topos with UTM grids?

--
I do not speak for any corporation, organization or government.

All opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Any map- & GPS-software?

Post by Tiny Human Ferre » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:12:02

> > >         I want to get one of those canned map programs for
> > > my home machine which displays topographics, and interfaces
> > > with a shirt-pocket GPS which will take a series of
> > > waypoints along my carefully hidden hunting trails. feed
> > > them into the machine when I get back, and thereby enable it
> > > to draw the routes in -- preferably by following level lines
> > > insofar as feasible.

> > >         That much exists, at least from DeLorme and probably
> > > from others -- for muckeyslop. I, of course, want it to run
> > > on linux. Is there sech of a beast? Yet, anyway? Anybody
> > > know?

> > This is in fact where Linux just plain falls down. So far as I know, there
> > are no decent working Open Source mapware programs available. There _is_ the
> > NIMAMUSE which is available from NIMA, and it works just fine, but the map
> > sets available for it are extremely limited, being mostly for the use of the
> > military M&S community.

> Will it do 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 topos with UTM grids?

It may, I couldn't say for sure since I sure don't have the bandwidth to
download any such maps! Um, it was a while since I really tried to use it,
if you can name some of the standard formats I'll try to remember if it
handles that one.

Whatever is standard for the military, that's what it handles, primarily.
VDM, VDK, something like that?

Quote:

> --
> I do not speak for any corporation, organization or government.

> All opinions expressed are strictly my own.

--
The terror of the Roman arms added weight and dignity to the moderation of
the emperors.  They preserved peace by a constant preparation for war; and

Any map- & GPS-software?

Post by Bill Id » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

  Try Hugo - Unix Moving Map Software.  It has GPS support.
  http://www.mayko.com/hugo/
  For Mapping projects see:

  http://openmap.bbn.com/
  http://www.ttc-cmc.net/~fme/drawmap.html

  Hope that helps
  V-

    > > >         I want to get one of those canned map programs for
    > > > my home machine which displays topographics, and interfaces
    > > > with a shirt-pocket GPS which will take a series of
    > > > waypoints along my carefully hidden hunting trails. feed
    > > > them into the machine when I get back, and thereby enable it
    > > > to draw the routes in -- preferably by following level lines
    > > > insofar as feasible.
    > > >
    > > >         That much exists, at least from DeLorme and probably
    > > > from others -- for muckeyslop. I, of course, want it to run
    > > > on linux. Is there sech of a beast? Yet, anyway? Anybody
    > > > know?
    > >
    > > This is in fact where Linux just plain falls down. So far as I know, there
    > > are no decent working Open Source mapware programs available. There _is_ the
    > > NIMAMUSE which is available from NIMA, and it works just fine, but the map
    > > sets available for it are extremely limited, being mostly for the use of the
    > > military M&S community.
    >
    > Will it do 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 topos with UTM grids?
    It may, I couldn't say for sure since I sure don't have the bandwidth to
    download any such maps! Um, it was a while since I really tried to use it,
    if you can name some of the standard formats I'll try to remember if it
    handles that one.

    Whatever is standard for the military, that's what it handles, primarily.
    VDM, VDK, something like that?

    It's Vector product format VPF.

    There is Open MAp From BDM that is a JAVA class from map display. Check it out.

    However, something that ingests GPS still eluds me in linux.  Try Chicago map or Arc/View in Wintel.

    > --
    > I do not speak for any corporation, organization or government.
    >
    > All opinions expressed are strictly my own.

    --
    The terror of the Roman arms added weight and dignity to the moderation of
    the emperors.  They preserved peace by a constant preparation for war; and
    while justice regulated their conduct, they announced to the nations on
    their confines that they were as little disposed to endure as to offer an
    injury.    --Gibbon, "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" (The Antonines)

--
  o      Stickman Administrator
 <|>     System Administration

Stress is when you wake up screaming "Just
tell me what it says on the screen!"

E Pluribus *nux

Any map- & GPS-software?

Post by S. Mittelstaed » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:00:42

I am going to be experimenting with TOPO! this winter.  It is one of the
few Windows apps still in production that is designed to run on a 486.
This suggests that there is not a lot of lard in the in the code and it
MIGHT run under WINE.

I'm using Quicken99 in WINE on RH 6.0 on an AMD K6 233 box and the core
stuff works.  Quicken, like most windows apps, has a LOT of lard.  Can't
print and a lot of the fluff in Quicken crashes but I can get into my
accounts without leaving Linux.  If Quicken works (mostly) then maybe
this will also.

1. Help: memory mapped I/O in kernel causes GP trap

I am writing a 2.0.30 (i386) device driver module that needs to access
physical memory at 0x81000000.  But when in init_module() I try to
write there, I get a kernel GP fault.

volatile int * ptr = (int *) 0x81000000;
*ptr = 0; /* GP fault right here */

I know that in i386 kernel space there is an identity map between
physical addresses and virtual addresses.  But how do I tell the
memory manager that there is real physical memory at 0x81000000 and I
should be allowed to write there?  Or is init_module() running in user
mode (the GP fault tells me that insmod is the offending process)?

daniel dulitz

 daniel dulitz

 814.234.1603; fax 814.234.0723

 1006 W. College Ave, Ste. 200      http://www.valleytech.com
 State College PA 16801

2. REPOST: Re: AOL Hacked?

3. AT&T Toolchest 'MAPS' software

4. Free unix?

5. Linux Software Map (LSM) & Entry Template: 05SEP93

6. Proxy/Gateway - masquerading problems with two subnets

7. Remapping of keyboard & linux software map (lsm)

8. C compiler on RedHat 5.0

9. GPS I/O software for linux?

10. Linux Software for GPS > ntpd ???

11. Linux Software Map software Mail-Order

12. Install disc & software 1 & software 2 disc

13. Linux Software Map software Mail-Order