which partition manager is best, trying to install LINUX on my installed Win2K PC

which partition manager is best, trying to install LINUX on my installed Win2K PC

Post by vasan » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:15:57

Guys,

Good morning, I have a PC with Win2K already, I want to install Linux
on the same PC(I have 20G harddisk, 13GB is left), what do you
recommend for partition manager, appreciated for your response. Also I
head BootITNG is good partition manager, anybody have any idea. Also
where can I get LINUX CD's.

Thanks in advance guys. Take care.

which partition manager is best, trying to install LINUX on my installed Win2K PC

Post by Sybren Stuve » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:53:16

vasanta enlightened us with:

Quote:> what do you recommend for partition manager

PartitonMagic is a very good one. Most distributions come with their own
partition managers. Parted is a very good one, and my bet is that you
can run it from Toms Root & Boot Disk http://www.toms.net/rb

Quote:> Also where can I get LINUX CD's.

First go to http://www.distrowatch.com/ and pick a distribution. I
recommend either Debian (not-so-very-nice installation, but very easy
application installation & upgrade) or Mandrake (easy installation, but
application installation & upgrade not as good as Debian).

Sybren
--
Running a Mickeysoft game using wine:
| Evil attempt to exploit win9x system security flaws detected |

which partition manager is best, trying to install LINUX on my installed Win2K PC

Post by mjt » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:44:33

Quote:> Good morning, I have a PC with Win2K already, I want to install Linux
> on the same PC(I have 20G harddisk, 13GB is left), what do you
> recommend for partition manager, appreciated for your response. Also I
> head BootITNG is good partition manager, anybody have any idea.

.... partition magic or gnu-parted

Quote:> Also where can I get LINUX CD's.

... start at http://www.distrowatch.com/

which partition manager is best, trying to install LINUX on my installed Win2K PC

Post by vasan » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:26:03

Guys,

Thanks for your help.

Vasanta

1. ***HELP*** I am a new user trying to install Linux 6.2

Hello.

I burned the ISO file to CD, and I am booting from a floppy.

The configuration is as follows:    It is an OLD PC so don't laugh too hard.  Today is the first time I turned it on in 2 years!!

486 DX - 66Mhz
8 meg of ram
6X CD drive
Trident 9000i video card
some Western Digital drives

when I finally get it to boot up, it asks me for drivers, I don't have any, so I cancel.  Then after a while I get:

install exited abnormally -- received signal 9
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
disabling swap...
unmounting filesystems...
        /mnt/source
        /dev/pts
        /proc
ejecting cdrom
you may safely reboot your system

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give.

Thanks

-George

2. INSTALL-- XWindows setup

3. Installing Linux on a Win2K (NTFS) partition

4. small (but cheap) PC (i386) for Linux

5. Trying to Install WIN95 on a Prior Linux PC

6. IPL Systems 3480 Cartridge Reader

7. Trying to Install Win95 on Prior Linux PC

8. su question

9. G3 Powermac -PC user trying to install Linux

10. fbsd + linux + win2k: what's the best filesystem for a shared slice/partition

11. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

12. HELP-I am trying to install a Metricom Ricochet modem on Red HAt 5!

13. What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?