Linux news groups...

Post by Dave Clema » Thu, 07 Oct 1993 00:54:01

I've seen a number of messages in this newsgroup saying that it
should be phased out, and instead more specific newsgroups like
comp.os.linux.* should be used.

Has those more specific newsgroups been created net-wide?
If they have, I suggest the newgrp messages got lost somewhere. None
of the local sites I have access to have newgrp creation messages
for linux newsgroups, other than comp.os.linux and comp.os.linux.announce.

dgc

Linux news groups...

Post by Lars Wirzeni » Thu, 07 Oct 1993 02:55:44

Quote:> [ comp.os.linux is being replaced with new groups ]

> Has those more specific newsgroups been created net-wide?

Yes.

Quote:> If they have, I suggest the newgrp messages got lost somewhere. None
> of the local sites I have access to have newgrp creation messages
> for linux newsgroups, other than comp.os.linux and comp.os.linux.announce.

You should contact your news administrator.  The new groups are
listed in the checkgroups message, and in the list of newsgroups
posted by David Lawrence.

(The problem might, of course, be upstream from you; in that case
you need to contact your upstream site.  Iterate as needed.)

There seems to be something else that is wrong on your site, as well.

--

It doesn't matter who you are, it's what you do that takes you far. --Madonna

Linux news groups...

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Thu, 07 Oct 1993 07:52:49

>Has those more specific newsgroups been created net-wide?

Yes, quite a while ago.

Quote:>If they have, I suggest the newgrp messages got lost somewhere. None
>of the local sites I have access to have newgrp creation messages
>for linux newsgroups, other than comp.os.linux and comp.os.linux.announce.

Many many sites have all the new groups. Some are set up so
that newgrp messages get forwarded to a person, who may or may
not have time to create the groups.

Anyway, judging by your From: header line (above), I would
say your particular news installation needs a bit of work :-)

Seriously though, ask your news administrator to fix your From:
header and create the new groups. He can check the official group
listings from news.* if he doesn't believe you (or you can make
it easy on him and grep out the relevant info for him -- it should
even still be in the "currently active votes" periodic posting.

--

Linux news groups...

Post by Hweidar Jian » Tue, 12 Oct 1993 22:42:33

To all who are interested in jana or know something about the company:

I got the information from network: jana publication offering quartly updated
linux CD ROM for $65/year. Souds a good deal. I called them, and left messages.

order.

I never got the confirmation or merchandise. Neither could I contact them. I thought
they just disappered. Well, 3 and half mothes later, $65 was showed up on my credit card
statement. Does anyone know jana publication?

Jana, by any chance, you read this news and do not have the decency to return my call.
I assure you I will post an article whenever I saw your adverti*t on the net.

Linux news groups...

Post by <3179.. » Wed, 13 Oct 1993 05:44:33

Hi, I tried to mail a privet E-Mail to you but it bounced.

JANA Publishing is not a scam, its a good company and thay make a lot of other
CD's. If you have a probelm please call them at 1-800-363-2083 and there is
some one to answer the phone. Call them at Mon-Fri 9 to 5.

The new address is 3881 Chess Wood Drive, in Toronto. Yes we had some problems
due to a owner ship change but we are doing very well now.

Jay

Linux news groups...

Post by Ken Ri » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 07:22:39

|> Hi, I tried to mail a privet E-Mail to you but it bounced.
|>
|> JANA Publishing is not a scam, its a good company and thay make a lot of other
|> CD's. If you have a probelm please call them at 1-800-363-2083 and there is
|> some one to answer the phone. Call them at Mon-Fri 9 to 5.
|>
|> The new address is 3881 Chess Wood Drive, in Toronto. Yes we had some problems
|> due to a owner ship change but we are doing very well now.
|>
|> Jay

Are these ownership change problems the reason that the last "bi-monthly"
CD that I received, from my two year subscription, was MAY/JUNE 1993?
Is JANA going to extend my subscription (and that of others who didn't
receive what they ordered) to compensate?

         Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Computer Network
         Electrical Engineering Department,  Purdue University
         West Lafayette, Indiana  47907-1285     (317)494-6678

Linux news groups...

Post by Gordon Soukore » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 05:44:11

: Hi, I tried to mail a privet E-Mail to you but it bounced.

: JANA Publishing is not a scam, its a good company and thay make a lot of other
: CD's. If you have a probelm please call them at 1-800-363-2083 and there is
: some one to answer the phone. Call them at Mon-Fri 9 to 5.

: The new address is 3881 Chess Wood Drive, in Toronto. Yes we had some problems
: due to a owner ship change but we are doing very well now.

: Jay

Well Jay aka JANA please find a public relations officer because I'm ready
to take you to the Dept. of Corp. and Consumer Affairs...just becuase I'm
a good Canadian.

I've been waiting for your promises...

Linux news groups...

Post by Gordon Soukore » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 06:02:15

Ok I called the toll free number  and rec'vd an answering machine and a
very polite voice saying that " this call  is very  important to us "
I hope so !

Please JANA tell us what you're up to and WHY people are complaining and
What you are going to do about it...you     could  have  sent people
letters..when is the CD really comming out..BE honest. !
Or just tell people HA HA so SAD no mo'

Linux news groups...

Post by Layne Jens » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 04:29:50

> |> Hi, I tried to mail a privet E-Mail to you but it bounced.
> |>
> |> JANA Publishing is not a scam, its a good company and thay make a lot of other
> |> CD's. If you have a probelm please call them at 1-800-363-2083 and there is
> |> some one to answer the phone. Call them at Mon-Fri 9 to 5.
> |>
> |> The new address is 3881 Chess Wood Drive, in Toronto. Yes we had some problems
> |> due to a owner ship change but we are doing very well now.
> |>
> |> Jay
> Are these ownership change problems the reason that the last "bi-monthly"
> CD that I received, from my two year subscription, was MAY/JUNE 1993?
> Is JANA going to extend my subscription (and that of others who didn't
> receive what they ordered) to compensate?

>          Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Computer Network
>          Electrical Engineering Department,  Purdue University
>          West Lafayette, Indiana  47907-1285     (317)494-6678

Just to provide a data point for the other side...

I subscribed to the JANA CD from the first announcement, and have received
two CD's so far: March/April and May/June.  About a week ago I called the
800 number to ask the same question as above.  I was completely surprised
to get through on the first try, and talked with a real person (but I don't
know who it was).

I was told that the July/August disk was canceled because they didn't feel
there was enough new material for it, and thought it made more sense to
wait for the next one, which will include both the SLS and Slackware
distributions.  (I got the feeling that it may be just Linux now, rather
than NeXT/Linux, but I may be mistaken on that point.)  I was assured that
we will still get the number of disks we have paid for, no matter how long
it takes for them to come out.

He also gave me the impression that the cancellation of the July/August
disk had been announced.  I just assumed that I missed it somehow, but by
the number of messages on the subject, the announcement must not have been
widely distributed.

Anyway, I am confident that I will get my money's worth from JANA.  They
have cleared up some problems I had in the past with no hassles.  My only
recommendation is that they show their presence more often on the net to
put out the fires such as this one before they really get burned.
--

NCCOSC R&D Division (NRaD)           ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
San Diego, CA