Problem with samba and w2k

Post by Tommi » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:28:07

Dear,

I have a very strange question.  We are using software on multiple clients
wich requires the same drive but with its own data.
Pc1 en  pc2: needs the same share: \\SERVER\D.  Also the folders need to be
the same name.  So I played around with the caps and made each pc the owner
of his map.

For example:
Pc 1 has the share \\SERVER\D with a lot of folders but for eg the folder
data must have different files than on pc2.  So I made user pc1 owner of
data and pc2 owner of Data pc 3 is owner of DAta and this worked well with
windows 98.  On the share I put on hide unreadable=yes in the samba.conf.
So when a pc access his share he sees the data map with its own data.

But now I reinstalled my clients to windows 2000.  After a while the folders
become Access Denied.  I'm using samba 2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian.

Does someone knows a solution for this.

Or is there another method to provide a pc other data with the same
sharename on the server.  So \\SERVER\D1 and  \\SERVER\D2 is not a solution.
They must have the same shares...

Thx
tommie

Problem with samba and w2k

Post by Sybren Stuve » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:35:05

Tommie enlightened us with:

Quote:> I have a very strange question.  We are using software on multiple
> clients wich requires the same drive but with its own data.

That's not such a strange idea.

Quote:> Pc1 en  pc2: needs the same share: \\SERVER\D.  Also the folders need
> to be the same name.

No big deal.

Quote:> So I played around with the caps and made each pc the owner of his
> map.

Caps?

Quote:> For example: Pc 1 has the share \\SERVER\D with a lot of folders but
> for eg the folder data must have different files than on pc2.

This is something else than you described above.

Quote:> So I made user pc1 owner of data and pc2 owner of Data pc 3 is owner
> of DAta and this worked well with windows 98.  On the share I put on
> hide unreadable=yes in the samba.conf.  So when a pc access his share
> he sees the data map with its own data.

This looks like a very dirty hack...

Quote:> But now I reinstalled my clients to windows 2000.  After a while the
> folders become Access Denied.

Which is a good response, since the access is denied.

Quote:> Does someone knows a solution for this.

Sure. You should have read the smb.conf manual page. It's all in there,
and pretty easy to find too.

[D]
        comment = Per-machine data share
        path = /var/samba/data/%m
        public = yes
        writable = yes

Sybren

Problem with samba and w2k

Post by Tommi » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:53:11

Quote:> path = /var/samba/data/%m

Damn, I"m now feeling very stupid :-)

Kind Regards,
tommie

Problem with samba and w2k

Post by Rob Schneide » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:52:05

> Dear,

> I have a very strange question.  We are using software on multiple clients
> wich requires the same drive but with its own data.
> Pc1 en  pc2: needs the same share: \\SERVER\D.  Also the folders need to be
> the same name.  So I played around with the caps and made each pc the owner
> of his map.

> For example:
> Pc 1 has the share \\SERVER\D with a lot of folders but for eg the folder
> data must have different files than on pc2.  So I made user pc1 owner of
> data and pc2 owner of Data pc 3 is owner of DAta and this worked well with
> windows 98.  On the share I put on hide unreadable=yes in the samba.conf.
> So when a pc access his share he sees the data map with its own data.

> But now I reinstalled my clients to windows 2000.  After a while the folders
> become Access Denied.  I'm using samba 2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian.

> Does someone knows a solution for this.

> Or is there another method to provide a pc other data with the same
> sharename on the server.  So \\SERVER\D1 and  \\SERVER\D2 is not a solution.
> They must have the same shares...

> Thx
> tommie

Win 98 is fundamentally different than Win2k.  See
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba-unofficial-single.html#CONNECTWIN,
paragraph 6.3.3 for some assistance.

1. Samba/W2K Problem With Roaming Profiles

I've set up a Linux machine as a PDC (relevant config below). Roaming
profiles appear, at a first glance to work with WinXP. With Win2K,
however, the profile never gets copied to the server, only from it (and
then it's merged with the copy on the local disk).

Is there something I'm missing on the Win2K set up?

smb.conf:
[global]
        logon path = \\server\profile\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 68
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes

[profile]
        path = /home/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        profile acls = Yes
        csc policy = disable

--

Oxford Semiconductor Ltd          http://www.oxsemi.com
25 Milton Park, Abingdon,         Tel: +44 (0) 1235 824 909

2. More weirdness...

3. W2K / Samba problems.

4. ip_masq_h3231.c

5. Samba W2K access problem

6. hfs cleanup #2 - use page cache for read&write

7. Can linux substitute w2k server and do the same as w2k server?

8. 2.4 x86: clock_gettime

9. VPN From W2K/Pro to W2K Server Doesn't Work Through IPCHAINS Firewall

10. Tri Boot win98,w2k,linux using w2k boot manager?

11. Accessing W2K shares as a normal user with Samba

12. Samba PDC & W2K backups

13. W2K File syncronisation vs. Samba after wintertime