I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

Post by v.nagasriniv » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 16:30:14

Hi,
       I could't understand whats going wrong.
I compiled new kernel with kgdb patch..and entered the details in /etc/lilo.conf
and running lilo..

i got the following lines..

Warning: /etc/lilo.conf should be writable only for root ( I am in root login only)
Warning: device 0x0306 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.

geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (  1146 > 1023).

Could any one help me out...

thanks,
srinivas.

I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

Post by A.C. 'Static' Stad » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 23:52:49

Quote:>Hi,
>       I could't understand whats going wrong.
>I compiled new kernel with kgdb patch..and entered the details in /etc/lilo.conf
>and running lilo..

>i got the following lines..

>Warning: /etc/lilo.conf should be writable only for root ( I am in root login only)
>Warning: device 0x0306 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.

>geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (  1146 > 1023).

>Could any one help me out...

>thanks,
>srinivas.

You haven't given us any specs on your machine, kernel/lilo versions,
so I'll just give my generic response:

<include: ~/q_a/the_1024_cylinder>

Basically, you're trying to boot from a partition that exceeds the
1023 cylinder limit.

In most modern machines, with a current version of lilo this isn't
really a big issue, so long as the bios supports some of the extended
features for larger hard drives. In the case of one of my machines I
used to have this trouble (even with the most recent version of lilo)
until I flashed the bios with a new update.  Now it doesn't really
matter where my boot partition is (there is still some kind of limit,
I just haven't figured out what it is).

I've heard that grub is a little more flexible in this respect, but I
do not have any definative information on it at this point.

My general recommendation to people running Linux is that when the
partition their drives, they make one small partition near the
beginning of drive (about 15-50 mb) which will be mounted as /boot.
Put you kernels and whatever else lilo needs in there and use that to
boot.  If at all possible (you're not dual booting, so you don't have
to create another bootable partition for another OS) make your first
partition your swap partition (most drives have faster seek/read/write
cycles on the lower cylinders), then your boot partition should
follow, and then whatever else you want.

St.

Hi:

I am experimenting with small Linux installs using Slackware 3.4 kernel
2.0.30 and am looking for non-GUI browsers.

I am working with lynx (and like it) but am curious - anything else out
there you can recommend.

Please reply by e-mail as well - news feed is slow and cranky (ISP says will
improve Real Soon Now).

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Brian.

2. xocr

3. i am getting the following error while installing LRP onto Hard disk?

4. how can I update kernel w/ rpm?

5. i am getting the following error?

6. is ther a workaround - Acrobat Reader plugins on 4.4+Netscape?

7. I am getting the following errors with PPP...

8. ipfw

10. Am I touchy? Or am I right?