Accesing windows files from LINUX

Post by kaush » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 00:17:24

I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux
I want to access files in windows from linux.
In some earlier posting in this group
someone suggested me
to give command
mount -t vfat /devv/hda1 /mnt/win
This works but the problem is that I have to give this command every
time I enter linux.
Can't this be made permanent?
Plz help

Accesing windows files from LINUX

Post by kaush » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 00:17:24

I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux
I want to access files in windows from linux.
In some earlier posting in this group
someone suggested me
to give command
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

Post by Joost Kremer » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 00:23:21

> I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux
> I want to access files in windows from linux.
> In some earlier posting in this group
> someone suggested me
> to give command
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
> This works but the problem is that I have to give this command every
> time I enter linux.
> Can't this be made permanent?

best way is to add a line to /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1       /mnt/win        vfat    defaults,noexec 0  0

there are more options you can put in the fourth field. check `man
mount' for them. especially uid/gid and umask can be useful if you
want users to be able to write files to the windows partition.

BTW this question comes up a lot on newsgroups and is discussed in the
documentation. try to search google (and google groups) and
<http://www.tldp.org> before you post a question to an NG. you'll find
you can often find answers yourself.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers           http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers
Ask 8 slackers how to do something, get 10 answers.

Accesing windows files from LINUX

Post by Ingmar Koeche » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 01:46:29

You will need to update your /etc/fstab file. This file is read everytime
you boot Linux.

Add a line that looks like this one

/dev/hda1    /mnt/win     vfat        defaults       0 0

and make sure it's aligned like the lines above it.

Ingmar.

> I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux
> I want to access files in windows from linux.
> In some earlier posting in this group
> someone suggested me
> to give command
> mount -t vfat /devv/hda1 /mnt/win
> This works but the problem is that I have to give this command every
> time I enter linux.
> Can't this be made permanent?
> Plz help

Accesing windows files from LINUX

Post by Elizabeth Court » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:49:53

Make sure vfat is compiled into the kernel, or it won't work on startup.

Liz

On Thu, 30 May 2002 12:46:29 -0400

> You will need to update your /etc/fstab file. This file is read
> everytime you boot Linux.

> Add a line that looks like this one

> /dev/hda1    /mnt/win     vfat        defaults       0 0

> and make sure it's aligned like the lines above it.

> Ingmar.

> > I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux
> > I want to access files in windows from linux.
> > In some earlier posting in this group
> > someone suggested me
> > to give command
> > mount -t vfat /devv/hda1 /mnt/win
> > This works but the problem is that I have to give this command every
> > time I enter linux.
> > Can't this be made permanent?
> > Plz help

Accesing windows files from LINUX

Post by -wisegu » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 04:07:47

Quote:> Make sure vfat is compiled into the kernel, or it won't work on startup.

not entirely: compiled, but not required to be compiled into the
kernel...vfat can be compiled as a module and if the module utilities are
setup properly then it will load the module and mount the filesystem
correctly.

--
-- Rob Prowel (A.K.A. da wiseguy)

Post by drumsti » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 06:15:14

> I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux I want to access files
> in windows from linux. In some earlier posting in this group someone
> suggested me
> to give command
> mount -t vfat /devv/hda1 /mnt/win
> This works but the problem is that I have to give this command every
> time I enter linux.
> Can't this be made permanent?
> Plz help

man mount
www.google.com

This question has answers available all over the internet...STFW.

--
drumstik
www.ameriphreak.com

Post by mjt » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 16:09:06

Accesing windows files from LINUX

Post by kaush » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:26:39

I have typed

/dev/hda1    /mnt/win     vfat        defaults       0 0

just after
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
But the output was

bash: /dev/hda1: Permission denied
What to do next?
Plz help
kaushik

> You will need to update your /etc/fstab file. This file is read everytime
> you boot Linux.

> Add a line that looks like this one

> /dev/hda1    /mnt/win     vfat        defaults       0 0

> and make sure it's aligned like the lines above it.

> Ingmar.

> > I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux
> > I want to access files in windows from linux.
> > In some earlier posting in this group
> > someone suggested me
> > to give command
> > mount -t vfat /devv/hda1 /mnt/win
> > This works but the problem is that I have to give this command every
> > time I enter linux.
> > Can't this be made permanent?
> > Plz help

Accesing windows files from LINUX

Post by kaush » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:29:21

Respected madam,
 how should I compile vfat into kernel?
Plz help
I am new to linux.
kaushik
www.geocities.com/kaushik_taj/Paint.html

Post by mjt » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 19:02:28

> I have typed

> /dev/hda1    /mnt/win     vfat        defaults       0 0

> just after
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
> But the output was

> bash: /dev/hda1: Permission denied
> What to do next?
> Plz help
> kaushik

>> You will need to update your /etc/fstab file. This file is read everytime
>> you boot Linux.

>> Add a line that looks like this one

>> /dev/hda1    /mnt/win     vfat        defaults       0 0

>> and make sure it's aligned like the lines above it.

>> Ingmar.

>> > I have loaded both windows 98 and red hat linux
>> > I want to access files in windows from linux.
>> > In some earlier posting in this group
>> > someone suggested me
>> > to give command
>> > mount -t vfat /devv/hda1 /mnt/win
>> > This works but the problem is that I have to give this command every
>> > time I enter linux.
>> > Can't this be made permanent?
>> > Plz help

stop top-posting ...

be sure the line in /etc/fstab reads:

/dev/hda1   /mnt/win  vfat  auto,user  0  0

you dont have to do the "mount" command, although you can
execute a "mount -a" and that will instruct mount to mount
all filesystems that arent mounted (and are not noauto)

- --

1. Accesing files on a windows webserver from solaris.

My application running on Solaris 2.x needs to open and edit files on a
Windows machine which has a webserver installed.

I cannot have a remote mount since the remote machine is on Windows.

Is there anyway I could establish a directory connection to the Windows
machine, so that my app access files on the machine.

Sachin.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. autologout for sh

3. accesing from linux to windows

4. Port's info

5. accesing linux file systems from DOS?

6. aix4.2 binary compatibility

7. Accesing DOS files for LINUX

8. installed wine successful, but then??

9. Firewall: Accesing remoteserver's X Windows

10. Need help accessing shared files in window on Linux and windows printer on Linux.

11. Accesing the unix file system of SCO UnixWare from DOS/Win

12. accesing html file on a cdrom

13. Linux accesing FAT32 or Drivespace3